Bought an LJ

Installed the Toyota halogen light conversion. Pretty easy install, can’t wait to get it out and seeing there is a lighting improvement.

E2544640-E7B4-4FF9-8A62-2B98FA43A726.jpeg

C3E842F4-9187-473F-9B5D-17F317649F7C.jpeg

CBE78379-4F8F-4692-B9FE-956CE3A0024F.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT and Irun
I've been pretty pleased with it, but admittedly, I didn't have much nighttime seat time in before the change.
Yeah I’ve driven on sealed beams before switching to JK housings in my TJ and it helped. However I’ve never liked the light pattern, hoping these are a bit better.

Reactions: Irun
I have been driving the LJ for a few days. It’s been running and driving great. Only problem is I have been getting a PO463 code and the fuel gauge dropping to empty. The fuel pump is a new Bosch assembly so I’m going to look into a replacement Monday, not excited to have to drop the tank again.

Open to any suggestions.

• Sad
Reactions: JMT
81563787-D2EC-41F3-BCCD-12D9C0C7F99B.jpeg
I have been working on the front end to sure up the steering and ride quality. It’s been a fight but it’s coming along. The previous owner, or their mechanic, used red thread locker on every nut and bolt, which has made removal of parts a challenge. Lots of heat has helped, but the shock stud nuts are enough of a challenge without having to overcome the thread locker so they had to be cut out. Maybe they mistakenly used thread locker in place of anti-seize? Who knows.

Anyway one more lower shock nut and bolt to remove and I can finish installing the rancho shocks.

Once that’s done I will tackle the fuel pump
And check the resistance on the sending unit before I try for a replacement from Bosch.

Reactions: thekidwithquestions
Try unplugging the connector to the fuel pump, cleaning it out, and applying some dielectric grease. Also, verify no wires were smashed or broken in the R&R process.

Try unplugging the connector to the fuel pump, cleaning it out, and applying some dielectric grease. Also, verify no wires were smashed or broken in the R&R process.
That will be part of the trouble shooting. I did have to repair the wires coming off the frame rail when I installed the new pump. Soldered them and used marine grade heat shrink. Maybe I missed one? I’ll try the plug first.

280F79DC-DA09-4061-8578-D2B79412BE7F.jpeg

Well guess I found the problem…

This was further back on the loom from where I did my initial repair. Good call rechecking the harness @Irun!

Last edited:
Front end is back together, diy alignment done, wire soldered, check engine light is gone and gauge is working.

Drives better and steering is tighter. Happy so far.

Reactions: MikekiM and RINC
Not a whole lot to report. I had a scan gauge II sitting around from when I had my Tacoma. I used it to monitor trans temperatures because the truck did not have a factory gauge. My current F150 has built in gauges to monitor things so I figured I put it into the LJ.

Nothing special, programmed it to monitor RPM, MPH, Water Temp, and MPG. I mounted it with some heavy duty Velcro and it looks OK. Anyone else use one of these things?

517DB8C2-50D2-4D9A-A7F5-93E288DB6F6E.jpeg

Not a whole lot to report. I had a scan gauge II sitting around from when I had my Tacoma. I used it to monitor trans temperatures because the truck did not have a factory gauge. My current F150 has built in gauges to monitor things so I figured I put it into the LJ.

Nothing special, programmed it to monitor RPM, MPH, Water Temp, and MPG. I mounted it with some heavy duty Velcro and it looks OK. Anyone else use one of these things?

View attachment 283252
I'm planning to add something like this, but am looking for a different interface. There is a lot of good data here though!

I'm planning to add something like this, but am looking for a different interface. There is a lot of good data here though!
Yeah, I’m not a huge fan of the interface on this either, but it was just sitting on my bench so I figured I might as well use it. Maybe it will help with fuel mileage and maybe I’ll add the average MPG to it.

I did try it on my TJ once and hoped to get a trans temp reading, but it was not an option and could not be added. I am also installing a separate gauge as well.

Not much to report. Just driving and monitoring things. Getting ready to tackle the rear main seal as soon as my brother in law gets his TJ off the lift.

9F1288C3-2CDC-418F-B1F3-FBC01AF4EFC8.jpeg

Put about 3k on the LJ. Still a few things I’d like to do, but I’m resisting the urge to modify it or sell it. I may clean up the winch bumper and put that back on. Other than that it’s been running well and fun to drive a manual again.

Last edited:
View attachment 283278
A small but satisfying alternative to drilling holes to mount the relays for the Toyota lights. Before I had zip ties holding them on the grill supports. This looks much cleaner in my opinion.
I did the Toyo light conversion (plus an set of aux driving lights and have been waffling on where to mount the three relays. This might be the answer..

Reactions: Lax22