Brand new O2 sensor still throwing codes

I don't think you understand my meaning. The codes were being thrown for no reason other than to have one chase a problem that does not exist.

Ever consider the PCM design itself might be part of the problem? I have dealt with computers for many years and you might be surprised just how little things will bring the big things to it's knees. Never consider electronics to be infallible...I've never met such a system.

All of these so called "modern" electronics were slaved onto relatively ancient technology for "perceived" problems. In use there really were no problems as they were working as intended and still do. We have mandated and self inflicted problems...for little gain many times.

Okay, so what Phantom Codes are your ECM throwing? Maybe we can help, unless your point is to merely bitch about it.

• Love
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
None atm. My point has already been made. If I have no say in the matter, then screw you and your attitude. ;)

What point? You say that your ECM was throwing codes for nothing, but you don't say what. How about an example of a false code? You said that when you fixed everything, it took some time to stop throwing codes. They do that until the ECM learns that everything is fixed. Which several drive cycles.
As for my say in the matter, this is a public forum. Anybody can participate. The P.O. asked a question, I answered. Then you joined the conversion with absolutely nothing constructive to add. You just make statements that have nothing to do with the original question. Which leads to my Bad Attitude.

What point? You say that your ECM was throwing codes for nothing, but you don't say what. How about an example of a false code? You said that when you fixed everything, it took some time to stop throwing codes. They do that until the ECM learns that everything is fixed. Which several drive cycles.
As for my say in the matter, this is a public forum. Anybody can participate. The P.O. asked a question, I answered. Then you joined the conversion with absolutely nothing constructive to add. You just make statements that have nothing to do with the original question. Which leads to my Bad Attitude.
X2.

Reactions: John Cooper
I once spent an entire day attempting to dyno tune a brand new 2004 F-150 that we had just installed an intake and exhaust on. No matter what we did to the A/F adjustments, the truck continued to misbehave and throw a DTC. I finally pulled the other side O2 sensor and discovered that there was antisieze contaminating it from the factory install. Replaced it and problem solved.
Moral of the story, make sure you keep new O2’s clean when installing them. Even grease from your skin can cause them to malfunction.

Car manufacturers are not known for their skills in the electronic area. They are in fact dismal at it, but continue to force feed us this crap. I understand the mandates which require some of these systems and can freely disagree with many, but in many instances electronics are introduced into various components on a whim and a wish it seems. The forum is rife with constant efforts of many simply trying to maintain these electrical systems and make no mistake about it, that is exactly what we are doing...we are not repairing a major component, but rather constantly repairing the monitoring systems.

You say this is a public forum and anyone can participate, but in the same breath attempt to negate another's take on a given subject with snide remarks. My view had everything to do with the OP's question. You do not have to subscribe to my beliefs at all and are free to present alternatives, but your "Bad Attitude" will not be suffered or go unanswered on this end.

• Face Palm
You say this is a public forum and anyone can participate, but in the same breath attempt to negate another's take on a given subject with snide remarks. My view had everything to do with the OP's question. You do not have to subscribe to my beliefs at all and are free to present alternatives, but your "Bad Attitude" will not be suffered or go unanswered on this end.
Your first comment had to do with the CEL not shutting off immediately when you fixed your problem, NOT anything to do with actually FIXING the problem. After that, you simply went on and on about how modern vehicle electronics are Bad.
Your "beliefs" are just that, YOURS. No matter what you "believe" our ECMs do not throw codes if there isn't an issue that needs to be addressed. Your seeming inability or unwillingness to look for a problem does not mean that there isn't one.
As for my Bad Attitude, you needn't suffer it any further on THIS thread, because I'll not be responding any any more of your nonsense. You're not worth the effort or Bandwidth.

Let's not discuss the often touted PCM replacement fix to repair the "system" lol. The unwillingness and inability to recognize the actual problems here just might reside somewhere else... ;)

Another just from today... https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/crank-but-no-start-p0032-p0038-codes.66792/#post-1232822 Note the last post...even your PCM guru admits PCM's can give "phantom" codes. I'm just relaying my past experiences...take from it what you will.

Last edited:
  • Face Palm
On a side related topic, I got a P1196 error code and changed out the corresponding o2 sensor (with NGK sensor) and the CEL went off for a bit. I am now getting that same code along with a new P0420 code. Most of the resources I've seen has said that there is most likely an issue with the cat. Are there any ways to pinpoint the problem before dropping 1k on new cat / pre cat?

On a side related topic, I got a P1196 error code and changed out the corresponding o2 sensor (with NGK sensor) and the CEL went off for a bit. I am now getting that same code along with a new P0420 code. Most of the resources I've seen has said that there is most likely an issue with the cat. Are there any ways to pinpoint the problem before dropping 1k on new cat / pre cat?

Did you remove power to the PCM for 10 minutes? When I did that it stopped throwing codes from new NGK sensors.

Andy

Did you remove power to the PCM for 10 minutes? When I did that it stopped throwing codes from new NGK sensors.

Andy

Did that before, the sensor was installed and successfully CEL was gone for a bit before coming back on again and this time with the additional code

Can you monitor live ODB data? A working O2 sensor should consistently operate below .9v.

I'd entirely believe a new sensor was bad. New parts are all crap these days.

-Mac

There are ways to check the cat.
Both visually and/or measuring pressure.

Took the muffler off as I am replacing it. The back side of the cat honeycomb looks immaculate ( I know that doesn't mean a lot) . Got the engine up to operating temps and measured with a temp gun. Not getting as hot in the back (weld) as it is in the front (weld). About 30 degrees cooler. Haven't done anything with pressure yet

Can you monitor live ODB data? A working O2 sensor should consistently operate below .9v.

I'd entirely believe a new sensor was bad. New parts are all crap these days.

-Mac

Here is a data scan of all four o2 sensors. Not exactly sure hope to interpret this data

Attachments

• DataLog-Mar_12_2024_1-11-59-PM - DataLog-Mar_12_2024_1-11-59-PM-2.pdf
    81.5 KB · Views: 13
Reactions: macleanflood