Bridge collapsed

llLCqTe.png
If this is correct
The ships Captain “Master” is Ukrainian
Starting to wonder if the helmsmen were the Indian patsies and this was sabotage

Watch, and watch the messages about Ukraine

Once cleared to work, it shouldn't take a barge crane more than a couple days to open the channel section to allow ship traffic. Unless they are union. One should be on the way already if people are on their toes.

Body recovery may be an issue.

You can see the boat turn as they tried to control it. I think it worked like trying to overcorrect a skid rather than letting your foot off the gas. There are times trying to fix it is worse. They were moving inside the channel and probably could have sailed through doing nothing.

Well, shit happens, it'll obviously take a while to back to normal. Nothing surprises me after the last three years. Now you have can't even sell guns privately. We are not the country we used to be.

The majority of Ships' deck crews and related workers earn a salary between 8,291 and 41,707 (rupees) per month in 2024.
Job Responsibilities:
- Standing look-out watches at sea and when entering or leaving harbour or other narrow waters
- Steering ships according to instructions
- Handling ropes and wires, and operating mooring equipment
- Maintaining and, in some cases, operating ships' equipment, cargo gear, rigging, lifesaving and firefighting appliances
- Performing deck and hull cleaning, scraping, painting and other maintenance duties as required
- Breaking out, rigging and stowing cargo-handling gear, stationary rigging and running gear...

https://paycheck.in/career-tips/role-income/india-ships-deck-crews-and-related-workers

Dear Family,
I don't think people can possibly understand that those pillars and other bridge structures J worked on were all massive "pours." These were not prefab pillars brought in and set in place. The giant concrete forms all had to built around the massive rebar structures built by hand by the iron workers and laborers. J's photos on top are like a picture of the cherry on top of a cake. That was almost the "topping out" party. The work that went into getting there, up to that point, people just would not believe. To be standing at the top of that process must be unforgettable. Did they use concrete pumps then, or all buckets?

In the same era, if not the same summer, I worked on the 95 and 395 "flyover" bridges over the same river. You worked at the top, I was at the bottom working down in a cofferdam. My working area looked like the artist's rendition on top. Square, with a barge and crane by it. The bottom working area looked like in the photo, but we were not near anything and did not have a foot bridge. We were out in the middle of the river. We were brought to the barge on work boats, and lowered down into the bottom of the river bed in a "man basket." We jack hammered the bed rock to make about 100 holes in a pattern, put dynamite into them, covered it all with a giant steel mesh blanket, (lowered by the crane), then we got far away. The steel blanket would fly up into the air above the cofferdam but it contained all the rocks and rubble.

Then we'd go back down and put all the rocks into an empty cement bucket lowered down to us by the crane. Anything too big to lift by hand had a steel wire choker put around it for the crane to lift out and put on other barges for removal. When all the rocks and boulders were out, we did the jack hammering again. We'd have to change the jackhammer drill bits for longer ones as we went down. 2', 4', 6'. That was heavy work. It took several men to lift the jackhammers out of the holes with the long bits on them.

The dust and noise was unbelievable. Just yellow foam earplugs. Pumps on the barge running 24/7 to keep the river out because the cofferdam's interlocking steel planks were not watertight. When we had a new pattern of 100 or or so holes, all drilled to the same level depth, we did another demolition charge with dynamite the size of paper towel tubes down each hole. I eagerly worked with the demo-man as his assistant, nobody else wanted to be near cases and cases of dynamite! Before I was ever a SEAL, I had personally put blasting caps into probably a thousand dynamite charges, about 100 per "shot."

The wires were wrapped around the charges and that's how we lowered them down each hole, by their blasting cap wires. Pea gravel was poured down each hole to "tamp" the explosions for maximum power. Then they were all wired together for one big blast. I was alone at the bottom of the cofferdam with the demo man for all of that charge preparation and placement and wiring. All the other older construction workers wanted nothing to do with demo, but I loved it! Then the crane would lift us up and we'd be taken far away. I would be standing next to the demo guy, and I got to push the button a few times. BOOM! Then repeat the process deep down into bedrock under the Patapsco River with jackhammers. Those supporting piers are STRONG. I think of the 395 as "my bridge."

Always very high decibels. Giant pumps running, and a half-dozen jackhammers going all the time down in a steel box! Injuries like cuts were wrapped in pieces of t-shirt and duct tape until the end of your work day. The workers were very tough men. West Virginia hillbillies, Vietnam vets and ex-convicts. Working with them down in the cofferdam and on other Baltimore mega-construction jobs in the 1970s gave me the confidence to become a SEAL. Other summers I also worked on big highway and land construction projects down in Dundalk, but working at the bottom of the Patapsco River stands out in my mind above them all.

I think I was 16 or 17 at the time. I was a card-carrying member of International Union of Laborers. If you said you were 18, and looked like you could work, you were good to go. In those days, driver licenses and union cards were not laminated, and did not have photos on them. I showed up for my first construction job with a beat-up hard hat, a dirty tool belt and dirty work boots and was hired at a construction trailer in the pre-dawn dark. My dad and J had told me what to do and say and it worked. I was hired and never looked back. I was making $ 5.50 an hour when the minimum wage was about $ 1.50. I was making triple what my high school friends made at pizza joints.

J also worked the big concrete pours high up on the 40-story Transamerica Tower in downtown Baltimore. I did nothing even close to that. We never worked the same jobs, but for all of them, we took several buses in the dark in our hardhats and work boots with our tool belts to get to the jobs, and we came home filthy. But everybody on the buses had great respect and deference for construction workers back then. We were "the hard hats" who were visibly building up Baltimore and the whole port area month by month and year by year!

But in my opinion the crowning achievement of them all was the Francis Scott Key Bridge. For almost 50 years the Key Bridge literally framed Baltimore for every mariner as they sailed in from the Chesapeake. It also gave motorists a fantastic view of Baltimore. It must be unbelievable to you all in Baltimore what happened to it. I wish Maryland had built giant protective dolphin islands like they did for the similar Betsy Ross Bridge in Philly. End of an era. It's just gut wrenching to think not only of the terrible current consequences, but the millions and millions of brutally-hard man-hours of labor that went into building that bridge. It really bothers me that it was destroyed. My mind has just been flooding with these old Baltimore construction job memories since the disaster. Hence this long missive.

Janet Yellen walks back Biden's comments US taxpayers on hook for Baltimore bridge collapse

IMG_4032_jpeg-3171344.jpg

U.S. Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen on Wednesday appeared to walk back comments from President Biden that U.S. taxpayers would foot the bill for the Francis Scott Key Bridge collapse in Baltimore.

Appearing on MSNBC, Yellen said money from the bipartisan infrastructure law could "potentially be helpful."

"My expectation would be that ultimately there will be insurance payments, in part, to cover this. But we don’t want to allow worrying about where the financing will come from to hold up reconstruction," Yellen said.

Her comments come a day after Biden said it was his "intention that the federal government will pay for the entire cost of reconstructing that bridge, and I expect the Congress to support my effort."

Biden said that, while the effort will take some time, the people of Baltimore "can count on us."

When asked by a reporter whether the company that manages the ship should be held responsible, Biden said the federal government would not wait for any decisions and would step in to get the bridge built and reopened.

• Face Palm
Reactions: ColoJeep
@Apparition Thanks very much for your really great, complete, and informative posts above, they are by far the best I've seen documenting this tragedy. I've gone after a few conspiracists on FB making wild claims about this tragic event, some of their claims are just nuts.

@Apparition Thanks very much for your really great, complete, and informative posts above, they are by far the best I've seen documenting this tragedy. I've gone after a few conspiracists on FB making wild claims about this tragic event, some of their claims are just nuts.

Thanks but I've got a good resource that I'm pulling them from I'm not going hunting for them.

Reactions: 2001slvrstntj
They have already extracted and posted data from the black box (VDR) recorder.

The timeline of events from the VDR were read as follows:

By 01.07 the ship had entered the channel.

By 01.24 the ship was underway on a true heading of 141 at a speed of approximately 8 knots.

01.24:59 - Numerous audible alarms recorded on bridge audio. VDR sensor data ceased recording, VDR audio recording continued on backup power source.

01.26:02 - VDR resumed recording sensor data. Steering commands and rudder inputs made.

01.26:39 - Ship’s pilot made a general VHF radio call for tugs in the vicinity to assist. Around the same time, pilot association dispatcher phoned the Maryland Transport Authority (MDTA) duty officer regarding the Dali’s blackout.

01.27:04 - Pilot ordered vessel to drop port anchor along with additional steering commands.

01.26:25 - Pilot issued VHF radio call warning that the Dali had lost all power and was approaching the bridge.

Around this time, MDTA data shows the following also occurred - an MDTA duty officer radioed two units already on scene - one on each side of the bridge - due to construction on the bridge, and ordered them to close the bridge to traffic. All lanes were closed by MDTA.

Around this time, MDTA data shows the following also occurred - an MDTA duty officer radioed two units already on scene - one on each side of the bridge - due to construction on the bridge, and ordered them to close the bridge to traffic. All lanes were closed by MDTA.

01.29 - Ship speed recorded at just under 7 knots.

01.29:33 - VDR recorder holds sounds consistent with bridge collision.

01.29:39 - Pilot reported the bridge down over VHF to USCG.

Homendy noted that while the data from the VDR is consistent with a power outage, it does not confirm a power outage.