Broken ring and pinion gears

The 3 lowest teeth that are broken point to the most likely scenario. The pinion walked out of pattern under high load, got out to the edges of the tooth and that broke them off. The others are from the broken bits getting jammed in there and doing damage. The pinion is likely damaged as well looking at the smear marks in the middle of the teeth above the lower 3.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
The 3 lowest teeth that are broken point to the most likely scenario. The pinion walked out of pattern under high load, got out to the edges of the tooth and that broke them off. The others are from the broken bits getting jammed in there and doing damage. The pinion is likely damaged as well looking at the smear marks in the middle of the teeth above the lower 3.
Whats your opinion? Bad gears? Or bad installation?

I wonder what brand too… looks like the carnage that @AndyG suffered recently…
Thanks for reminding me😫

My gears had 40,000 miles and went out- set up wrong- were running on the outside basically is what my guy determined by the pattern-

Blaine’s post #21 describes this threads’ case well and mine was similar- not as much teeth sheared off but same end result-

We plan to check the front soon since the all was done at the same time- he may want to consider that.

Thanks everyone for the response!

Some UPDATE:
He talked today to the mechanic that installed the gears in January 2021. He also changed the diff fluid about 1.5-2 months ago max. So, I guess he inspected the gears at that time too.

He claimed again that he need to change to Dana 44 axle with 4.88 gears, otherwise Dana 35's 4.88 are going to break again.

He also told him that by installing a locker, it might help, since the gears are going to "suffer" less.

What do you think about his statements?

Is there any point on locker putting less stress on gears? Because I dont think thats the case. But I am just a beginner.
I would think there are situations where a locker would put more stress on the gears such as if you had a tire wedged in a hole.

Reactions: TJim
At this point everything i knew, or thought to know, is being flushed down the toilet by some Achimedes, The Mecahic of Greece.

Is mechanic Albanian or Montenegran by any chance?
Don't wanna start another Balkan war, but stereotypes exist for a reason...

• Haha
Reactions: TJim