Brutally Harsh Ride - Out of Ideas

Glad you figured it out, but I'm curious: does your 2000 sticker actually have a 30 size on it? Maybe you have a special edition or Rubicon? If not, it should be P215/75R15 (Sport), P205/75R15 (SE), or P225/70R16 (Sahara).

His profile says 2000 Sahara which I thought was before they offered any 16" wheel options, but between Sahara and his door sticker I would guess his originally came with the 30" tire package and had it's 15" wheels replaced with 16".

Reactions: RMETeeJay
His profile says 2000 Sahara which I thought was before they offered any 16" wheel options, but between Sahara and his door sticker I would guess his originally came with the 30" tire package and had it's 15" wheels replaced with 16".

I had to read back on the thread! Everything I can find shows the 2000 Sahara having P225/70R16 stock and that's what OP said was on it when he bought it. However, his sticker shows 30x9.5x15 @ 29psi and that is what he used for OEM value in the calculator.

It's odd that the sticker doesn't match the wheel/tire size that actually came on the Jeep, but maybe they made a last-minute change? That's almost 2 inches larger diameter, so you'd think that the odometer gear would be off, etc.

Reactions: BDiddy
I had to read back on the thread! Everything I can find shows the 2000 Sahara having P225/70R16 stock and that's what OP said was on it when he bought it. However, his sticker shows 30x9.5x15 @ 29psi and that is what he used for OEM value in the calculator.

It's odd that the sticker doesn't match the wheel/tire size that actually came on the Jeep, but maybe they made a last-minute change? That's almost 2 inches larger diameter, so you'd think that the odometer gear would be off, etc.

I had to go to 2001 Sahara to get Discount Tire to give a 16" factory size...2000 still shows all 15s (plus an oddball 11 that has to be an error, surely). I've never had a 2000 so I have nothing more solid to go on. I just enjoy the investigation and I'm sitting in an airport terminal so there's not much else to do.

Screenshot_20231010-162925.png

Tire inflation is a safety and fuel economy issue, so I would think it would be some sort of legal problem to sell it new with a sticker that doesn't match.

To all asking, yes my numbers are accurate. Door calls for 30x9.5x15 and it came with a full set of 16” wheels and Michelin LTX 225/70r16. The speedo gear is just slightly off and reads about 3mph fast.

My understanding based on the build sheet and conversationally is that the 16” OEM wheels were a dealer add on for certain years including 2000. Which would explain the mismatch.

Annoying size for finding load range C, but the wheels look good so I’ve kept them!

IMG_7283.jpeg

Last edited:
Simplest solution??
I know its not what you wanna hear

Its a few decades old, its very beat up parts
Replace it all like I did 🙌 Rides like a dream now

But often the best solution is a complete overhaul because at higher mileages, nickel diming things can become a bigger hassle and time absorber when youre takin parts off multiple times

Last edited:
Reactions: BDiddy
Simplest solution??
I know its not what you wanna hear

Its a few decades old, its very beat up parts
Replace it all like I did 🙌 Rides like a dream now

But often the best solution is a complete overhaul because at higher mileages, nickel diming things can become a bigger hassle and time absorber when youre takin parts off multiple times

Yup. That's prob my next project after I pull the engine for replacement. Going over it and replacing allllll those rubber pieces, parts, and bushings.