Brutally Harsh Ride - Out of Ideas

A few people mentioned pictures so coming back after grabbing these in the garage. Hope it helps confirm there's nothing obviously unusual here! Like I said, I'm kind of out of ideas and thinking it might just be the super stiff but small tires.

View attachment 462979

View attachment 462980

View attachment 462983

View attachment 462984

The front bumpstock looks like its making regular contact with the axle pad. Do you get 12" (stock)measuring the springs compressed height? Minus the upper rubber isolator.

Reactions: Irun
A few people mentioned pictures so coming back after grabbing these in the garage. Hope it helps confirm there's nothing obviously unusual here! Like I said, I'm kind of out of ideas and thinking it might just be the super stiff but small tires.

View attachment 462979

View attachment 462980

View attachment 462983

View attachment 462984

Measure the gap between the steel cup and the axle pad. That will keep people from guessing. I would expect about 3.5", give or take a bit, on a stock TJ.

Measure the springs, too.

IMG_7264~2.jpeg

Mine started off very rough as well. Bought a dead stock 2005 last year with all original fittings, bushings etc (even an 18 year old spare tyre!) New tyres, shocks and springs made a big difference in drivability, but I still have room for improvement. If none of the rubber bits have been changed since factory, as in my case, it may be time to do some of that? All control arms, trans and body mounts are next on my list. Will also do tie rod ends, steering damper, ball joints etc. Pretty much every piece of rubber underneath my TJ looks like cracked old cheese that's been left out on the counter for a week! I suspect a lot of the road shocks and vibes that get dampened by those soft parts are instead travelling right up to me in the cabin.

Did you have stock 15" or 16" wheels? What did you end up doing for tires and shocks?

You can eliminate the shocks as the problem by eliminating the shocks. :) Remove the shocks and take a short drive. It will be very springy-bouncy, but you should be able to tell if that harshness is gone.

Run it with the tires at 15psi. If it still rough I would think that would indicate something else. Have another TJ owner drive it and get there opinion on the ride quality. I have both a YJ and a TJRU both with 2.5” lifts. The TJ rides like a Cadillac and has 265 75 R16 KOs load range E run at 24psi. Are you hitting the bump stops?

Rides like a Cadillac? This made me laugh...

• Haha
Reactions: CreepinDeth and JMT
@macleanflood @bucky @Jerry Bransford You recommended airing down, are you suggesting cold tire pressure or after warmed up? I'm assuming cold but don't want to make assumptions. For example I dropped them down to 25 psi while cold in the garage and took a test drive on lunch. After returning they're back up to about 27.5 psi.

@macleanflood @bucky @Jerry Bransford You recommended airing down, are you suggesting cold tire pressure or after warmed up? I'm assuming cold but don't want to make assumptions. For example I dropped them down to 25 psi while cold in the garage and took a test drive on lunch. After returning they're back up to about 27.5 psi.
Air pressure varies by its temperature so it's to be expected cold air pressure would go up higher once the tire has been driven on for any distance. I don't think I suggested a lower air pressure though.

You appear to have the optional 16” wheels that were available on the Sahara. Are those stock? And if so, what was the stock tire size, and what was the recommended inflation for that particular OEM tire (on sticker below driver’s door)?

You appear to have the optional 16” wheels that were available on the Sahara. Are those stock? And if so, what was the stock tire size, and what was the recommended inflation for that particular OEM tire (on sticker below driver’s door)?

Yep they're stock optional 16" wheels. Came with 225/70r16 Michelin LTX tires. I know this because the original spare was on the back when I bought it. However, the door sticker only states for 15" wheels which is: 30x9.5x15 @ 29psi

It came to me with 4 big bald load range E Toyo Open Countrys on it. 265/75r16 if I recall correctly. Changed them to these 225/70r16 KO2s a couple weeks after I bought it 2 years ago. Been riding on these KO2s since. The idea was to get back to the stock size and I chose these tires in load range C based on everything I've read on the forum.

You can eliminate the shocks as the problem by eliminating the shocks. :) Remove the shocks and take a short drive. It will be very springy-bouncy, but you should be able to tell if that harshness is gone.

This is a genius idea. How dangerous is it? Do I need to worry if I take it around town and down a highway exit?

Air pressure varies by its temperature so it's to be expected cold air pressure would go up higher once the tire has been driven on for any distance. I don't think I suggested a lower air Air pressure varies by its temperature so it's to be expected cold air pressure would go up higher once the tire has been driven on for any distance. I don't think I suggested a lower air pressure though.

Ah yeah my mistake. You just mentioned running your 35s at 25 psi.

Last edited:
I just don’t think the PO’s going to get THAT much better ride quality. IMHO, some people aren’t Jeep people. Others are and accept that it’s not ever going to drive like a Camry without a ton of $$$$$ and work thrown at it.. I see this guy as a Jeep guy. You’ll live. Maybe a few broken teeth here and there from the chatter.

Reactions: Rickyd and Daryl
This is a genius idea. How dangerous is it? Do I need to worry if I take it around town and down a highway exit?

Of course you need to worry. I did say short drive. Your Jeep will bob and sway weirdly. But you'll learn exactly how the shocks effect "ride quality".