Brutally Harsh Ride - Out of Ideas

This is a genius idea. How dangerous is it? Do I need to worry if I take it around town and down a highway exit?

I'm not sure it will be as definitive as you'd think. It will certainly bounce around a lot more but without the shocks to slow it down ahead of the bump stops making contact you'll probably just make more bump stop contact and may lead you to incorrect conclusions.

It's peculiar to me that you seem to have the correct amount of uptravel between the bump stops but are making contact regularly enough to leave witness marks on the pad.

There was one time on a trip to the coast that the Ranchos on these smaller C load range ATs felt good and it was when the jeep was loaded with TONS of gear so the extra weight made a smoother ride... whether it was the shocks or tires that benefited from the extra weight I'm unsure.
Not knowledgeable enough to offer any advice or ideas, but this improvement in ride quality with added weight makes me wonder if the shocks are not compressing and rebounding as they should at normal weight. I think overly stiff shocks would follow my logic, but the impact marks on your jounce pad would be caused by shocks that are too soft, not too stiff. Hmm...

Reactions: Tob
@YonderNorthwest Yeah I was shocked by how smooth the ride was with a bunch of extra weight in the back and 2 people up front. Has me thinking that @Jerry Bransford was right that there's something going on here other than tires.

@freedom_in_4low The marks on the jounce pads could simply be from me jacking up the front using a floor jack on the axel tube near the front dif? Maybe? That requires compressing the suspension before it lifts the jeep up. I tend to do that in the front and use the rear dif in the back.

@YonderNorthwest Yeah I was shocked by how smooth the ride was with a bunch of extra weight in the back and 2 people up front. Has me thinking that @Jerry Bransford was right that there's something going on here other than tires.

@freedom_in_4low The marks on the jounce pads could simply be from me jacking up the front using a floor jack on the axel tube near the front dif? Maybe? That requires compressing the suspension before it lifts the jeep up. I tend to do that in the front and use the rear dif in the back.

I would think you'd have to have it pretty high to do that. Like with the tire 6" off the ground or more. Your technique may be different but I can't think of a time I've ever done that.

Just lurking on the thread, but my $.25 bet is on bound up control arms. Rust frozen bolts, old rubber, over torqued at the wrong angle, something in that mix. Someone else recommended loosening and re-torquing the bolts at ride height. Costs nothing, easy to do, and rules out the issue.

Did you have stock 15" or 16" wheels? What did you end up doing for tires and shocks?

Stock 15" wheels (as in thumbnail). Mine required a general refresh just from having its original 18 year old sagged springs, worn out factory shocks, steering parts etc.

New 0" lift springs and new shocks made the biggest difference initially. I replaced the old G/Y Duratrac tires just because they were seriously hazardous at their age with G/Y Silentrac A/Ts.

Those changes gave me great stability and removed the boat rocking feeling going around corners etc, but I still have some road shocks come through because I haven't been able to change the control arm bushings, sway bar links, body and trans mounts as of yet.

My guess would be to inspect things like control arm bushings and other rubber components to see if they have ever been changed, you might be on the original 23 year old bushings; they could be bound up, or have become cheese and aren't doing their job properly anymore.

Hopefully replacing some of those components will dampen some of the road shocks you are feeling. The rest is probably just the joy of owning a TJ!

The marks on the jounce pads could simply be from me jacking up the front using a floor jack on the axel tube near the front dif? Maybe? That requires compressing the suspension before it lifts the jeep up. I tend to do that in the front and use the rear dif in the back.

Lifting the axle does not compress the spring much; normally.

Stock 15" wheels (as in thumbnail). Mine required a general refresh just from having its original 18 year old sagged springs, worn out factory shocks, steering parts etc.

New 0" lift springs and new shocks made the biggest difference initially. I replaced the old G/Y Duratrac tires just because they were seriously hazardous at their age with G/Y Silentrac A/Ts.

Those changes gave me great stability and removed the boat rocking feeling going around corners etc, but I still have some road shocks come through because I haven't been able to change the control arm bushings, sway bar links, body and trans mounts as of yet.

My guess would be to inspect things like control arm bushings and other rubber components to see if they have ever been changed, you might be on the original 23 year old bushings; they could be bound up, or have become cheese and aren't doing their job properly anymore.

Hopefully replacing some of those components will dampen some of the road shocks you are feeling. The rest is probably just the joy of owning a TJ!

Appreciate the thoughtful reply. I would be willing to bet all these components are original, aside from a couple sway bar endlinks and bushings I replaced. In the condition I got it in, looks like not much was replaced aside from shocks and tires. Probably will start replacing some of these things along with wheel bearings and u joints which are making some light noise.

It doesn't take much over the course of normal driving to find the jounces. Don't be distracted by that.

Reactions: mrblaine
I just don’t think the PO’s going to get THAT much better ride quality. IMHO, some people aren’t Jeep people. Others are and accept that it’s not ever going to drive like a Camry without a ton of $$$$$ and work thrown at it.. I see this guy as a Jeep guy. You’ll live. Maybe a few broken teeth here and there from the chatter.

Thru and thru brother. Def love my jeep and to be honest I've been driving the hell out of it like this for 2 years. Hasn't stopped me from loving the vehicle more than anything I've ever driven, and if I can't figure this out it won't take anything away. It's not intolerable, just seems off and finally getting around to asking for opinions.

Toss a few sand bags in the trunk and let it rip!!

LOL I genuinely have thought about just putting a bunch of weight in and calling it good enough. Is what it is. I love this thing regardless.

Just took it out after work and hauled ass through some gravel road with giant puddles by the mountains here.... just because it feels gooooood man.

Reactions: Rickyd