Brutally Harsh Ride - Out of Ideas

LOL I genuinely have thought about just putting a bunch of weight in and calling it good enough. Is what it is. I love this thing regardless.

Just took it out after work and hauled ass through some gravel road with giant puddles by the mountains here.... just because it feels gooooood man.

A brick running through mud puddles what more can you ask for!

• Haha
Reactions: BDiddy and Ron505
Springs do not affect the ride quality. Let's not do this again.
I am not saying that is the current issue, but springs do indeed affect the ride quality. I have replaced springs on my muscle car enough to have first hand experience with the dramatic differences in ride quality between different spring rates.

I am not saying that is the current issue, but springs do indeed affect the ride quality. I have replaced springs on my muscle car enough to have first hand experience with the dramatic differences in ride quality between different spring rates.

Apples to oranges comparison. We are not going to turn this into a spring ride quality thread. We have enough of those already where every point you think you have to make is addressed.

Thru and thru brother. Def love my jeep and to be honest I've been driving the hell out of it like this for 2 years. Hasn't stopped me from loving the vehicle more than anything I've ever driven, and if I can't figure this out it won't take anything away. It's not intolerable, just seems off and finally getting around to asking for opinions.

find someone with a YJ and go ride with them. You will be happy, happy, happy to get back in your TJ !

Reactions: Rickyd
Mouth Guard, a cheap fix for teeth jarring ride.

IMG_2002.gif

Reactions: tr21triton
Apples to oranges comparison. We are not going to turn this into a spring ride quality thread. We have enough of those already where every point you think you have to make is addressed.

Springs rates make a difference no matter what vehicle they are in.

• Haha
Reactions: JMT
@YonderNorthwest Yeah I was shocked by how smooth the ride was with a bunch of extra weight in the back and 2 people up front. Has me thinking that @Jerry Bransford was right that there's something going on here other than tires.
Weight change improving ride quality points to a shock problem.
@freedom_in_4low The marks on the jounce pads could simply be from me jacking up the front using a floor jack on the axel tube near the front dif? Maybe? That requires compressing the suspension before it lifts the jeep up. I tend to do that in the front and use the rear dif in the back.
Don't worry about the witness marks too much right now.

Just lurking on the thread, but my $.25 bet is on bound up control arms. Rust frozen bolts, old rubber, over torqued at the wrong angle, something in that mix. Someone else recommended loosening and re-torquing the bolts at ride height. Costs nothing, easy to do, and rules out the issue.

The most obvious symptom of your solution being the answer is the bushings would be shot from the bolt sleeve being broken loose from its bonding to the rubber isolation element which would then present a whole different host of issues.

LOL I genuinely have thought about just putting a bunch of weight in and calling it good enough. Is what it is. I love this thing regardless.

Just took it out after work and hauled ass through some gravel road with giant puddles by the mountains here.... just because it feels gooooood man.

I would play with some weight added in front of the tail gate behind the seat if you still have it. Are you still carrying the spare on the tail gate?

For those that are telling you how a tire will behave based on load range and aspect ratio, please understand that there are exactly zero attributes you can derive from those two factors.

I ran several sets of JK take-offs. The mud terrain versions ride like dogshit. The exact same size in the street tire tread is simply one of the better ride quality tires out there. Both are 17" rims, both have the same aspect ratio and for a 32" tire on a 17" rim, not far removed from what you are running. Night and day difference in how they feel in the cab.

I would do the shock removal test drive around the neighborhood safely at speeds which tell you how that compares to them being installed. That will tell you how much of a shock problem you do or don't have.

You've got the tire pressure thing on the way to being solved. After the shock test, do the same drive with lower and lower pressures in the tires as a test only. Go down as low as the 15 posted above.

You're just trying to isolate the cause of the harshness. What we know is it ISN'T the control arms, it isn't the body mounts. Play with and see which items improve it.

Reactions: psrivats
Another test that may be worthwhile is to disconnect the swaybars and take a test drive with them disconnected. If the PO used aftermarket extra-stiff bars (like the Hellwig), that could certainly contribute to a less-compliant suspension in certain bump scenarios.

Note, I highly recommend NOT doing this test at the same time as driving without shocks.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
Tangentially, I also recommend checking out the motor mounts and the transmission mount. While less likely than the previously mentioned scenario, worn out mounts will certainly contribute to NVH. If they are really bad, they could even cause the powertrain to contact something it shouldn't, which might be felt as an impact, depending on what, where, and how hard it hit.

Fellas, I got a crazy update. I used tiresize.com's air pressure calculator and the calculator's math says: With factory door sticker showing 30x9.5x15 at 29psi, run 225x70r16 load range C at 35psi.

Contrary to the advice all over this forum and others, I aired back up to 33 psi cold from 25 psi cold.

I shit you not, it rides significantly smoother on ALL terrain including street, potholes, gravel, and most importantly giant deep muddy puddles at speed. Cannot make this stuff up. No more tooth rattling over seams in the street, and bumps/holes deliver a firm and confident bounce back as I'd expect from a TJ.

It was a great lesson in math beating anecdotes every time. Guessing it is because these tires are smaller than what most people online are running at 25psi or less. Whatever the case, I appreciate you fine folks entertaining this insanity. Anyone interested in a PNW TJ meetup let's do it!

Untitled.png

Last edited:
Makes me wonder about how much extra weight you need to add to get it to ride better.

-Mac

Yep. I’m thinking the answer is A LOT. Mine rode harsh on these tires under-inflated with RS5000X’s but became smooth with a dog, 2nd human, inside cargo, and a full outside hitch cargo tray. That had to be at least an extra 400lbs not including the driver.

Fellas, I got a crazy update. I used tiresize.com's air pressure calculator and the calculator's math says: With factory door sticker showing 30x9.5x15 at 29psi, run 225x70r16 load range C at 35psi.

Contrary to the advice all over this forum and others, I aired back up to 33 psi cold from 25 psi cold.

I shit you not, it rides significantly smoother on ALL terrain including street, potholes, gravel, and most importantly giant deep muddy puddles at speed. Cannot make this stuff up. No more tooth rattling over seams in the street, and bumps/holes deliver a firm and confident bounce back as I'd expect from a TJ.

It was a great lesson in math beating anecdotes every time. Guessing it is because these tires are smaller than what most people online are running at 25psi or less. Whatever the case, I appreciate you fine folks entertaining this insanity. Anyone interested in a PNW TJ meetup let's do it!

View attachment 464665

Glad you figured it out, but I'm curious: does your 2000 sticker actually have a 30 size on it? Maybe you have a special edition or Rubicon? If not, it should be P215/75R15 (Sport), P205/75R15 (SE), or P225/70R16 (Sahara).