Glad you got everything home and are getting stuff ready to go into your Jeep. Yes I'll agree that is one heavy skid on the extended range tank. It has taken some big hits before also as I'm sure you noticed.

Thanks for the kind words......... Some days I feel like I'm never gunna get my rig done but I know I'll get it there.
Look forward to seeing what you do next on your Jeep.

Glad to see another mandalorian out there!

20200712_201924.jpg

Reactions: Vasq
Started to prep the HP30 for it's new JJ mount. Will probably end up with a corner gusset going towards the diff. Has anyone (reading my thread lol) ever installed one of these? Or to the real question, which way should i orientate the snap-ring or "exit" for the JJ if/when they need rebuilding?

IMG_6744.jpg

IMG_6730.jpg IMG_6740.jpg IMG_6741.jpg

EDIT: Well it turns out I probably shouldn't have cutoff the entire mount as this kit requires it to be welded to the old mount. Damn. I am torn though, because as you can see in the picture, the original mount was damaged/bent. I probably could've bent it back. It says it was designed this way to prevent warping on the axle tube? Guys on here weld new mounts on axle tubes all the time so I should still be OK, I'll just need to continue with my plan of adding some gussets to hold it where I want it.

Last edited:
I would do as you are planning and add the gussets to that mount. Any of the weld on brackets have them also.

Reactions: Vasq
Started to prep the HP30 for it's new JJ mount. Will probably end up with a corner gusset going towards the diff. Has anyone (reading my thread lol) ever installed one of these? Or to the real question, which way should i orientate the snap-ring or "exit" for the JJ if/when they need rebuilding?

View attachment 180985

View attachment 180982 View attachment 180983 View attachment 180984

EDIT: Well it turns out I probably shouldn't have cutoff the entire mount as this kit requires it to be welded to the old mount. Damn. I am torn though, because as you can see in the picture, the original mount was damaged/bent. I probably could've bent it back. It says it was designed this way to prevent warping on the axle tube? Guys on here weld new mounts on axle tubes all the time so I should still be OK, I'll just need to continue with my plan of adding some gussets to hold it where I want it.
Seems like the right decision to cut off the bent one. Just make some gussets to add on. Id probably do two small gussets on each side at 45 deg so it gets fore and aft and side to side bracing.

Reactions: Vasq and Wildman
Well I was giving it a lot of thought, and talked to my lead at work who is a amazing welder. Even though welding the 1" slab on there with gussets to support it could've worked out just fine, that's a lot of metal stealing heat so I probably would've needed to preheat the whole area. Even if it ended up working just fine, it would've looked a little odd. I ended up ordering virtually the same kit from Artec.

https://www.artecindustries.com/tjfuca
This will give me all the support and not be a giant slab welded to the tube. And will allow me to save/sell the Currie kit to someone who already has a nice axle and wants an easier welding project without having to locate a whole new upper mount. I should be all set.

Oh and I even managed to fix my dinosaur of a welder.

Tried to order wheels and tires yesterday, was told there is a 4 month wait on Walker Evans...
I still placed the order.

Sooo my plan is to have the axle done by the time the tires/wheels show up. need to pick up a second angle finder. I'll start off tacking the first plate and getting it lined up, using Artec's direction/pictures.

artec alignment 1.jpg artec alignment 1.1.jpg

Once that's settled I'm going to assemble the JJ and install the axle (links/track bar). I'll position it so both upper control arm bolts on the axle side are lose enough to move by hand, then I'll take the rest of the mount in place. Then disassemble the JJ and burn everything in. Lemme know if there's any flaw in this thought process.

Last edited:
Time for the ZJ steering upgrade/refresh. Ordered the following part numbers, all MOOG ~

DS1430 - Drag link
DS1312 - Tie rod
ES3096L (x2) - Tie rod end
ES2079S (x2) - Tie rod end adjusting sleeve

Hopefully I got this all right. Read through several ZJ upgrade threads but they got long winded and there seemed to be a lot of part numbers thrown around.

Reactions: Nickgsjeep
Time for the ZJ steering upgrade/refresh. Ordered the following part numbers, all MOOG ~

DS1430 - Drag link
DS1312 - Tie rod
ES3096L (x2) - Tie rod end
ES2079S (x2) - Tie rod end adjusting sleeve

Hopefully I got this all right. Read through several ZJ upgrade threads but they got long winded and there seemed to be a lot of part numbers thrown around.

They have arrived

IMG_6884.jpg

And my OTC ball joint service tool came in, as well as the dodge/jeep cup kit. This things seems like a quality tool, it's the one recommended in the ball joint thread. I also really liked that it's case had extra pockets for additional cup kits (like the one I ordered).

FullSizeR.jpg

Did the LED dash light conversion, so far I'm really pleased. Still trying to get some decent pictures, you guys are right about it always looking blurry in pics. Dimmer still works (y)
- Did "warm white" for the gauges, as I actually really liked the color scheme from the factory.
- Did "amber" for my accessory switches, really digging it. Need to change the 3mm light for my rear defrost "on" from amber to red, just so there's a difference.
- Started out with "amber" for the HVAC panel as well, but it was really dim. tried switching bulbs out and they were all the same. Smart me also ordered a set of "warm white" for those as well. Put those in and it was much better. Got curious and pulled the face plate off and discovered that the face plate is tinted, and the lights just illuminate a empty cavity behind it. So for now I'll run the factory colors until I can think of a way to tint the fan speed and combo (far left/right) selectors. I like the temp control to stay the blue/red.

Edit: yeah, pictures are either blown out or just boring. You guys get the jest lol

Last edited: