Ooo you are someone to know! 😂
I was a mechanic/shop owner for over a decade, and was playing with jeeps since I was 11, if there's some obscure tool to make your life easier/ work faster I probably have it. Went back to school for engineering a few years ago, thus most of my tooling sits around, if it can help somebody out I'm happy to do so.

P.s. the engineering stuff has started adding new tools to the stash too😅 (3d printer and a 3 axis CNC)

I was a mechanic/shop owner for over a decade, and was playing with jeeps since I was 11, if there's some obscure tool to make your life easier/ work faster I probably have it. Went back to school for engineering a few years ago, thus most of my tooling sits around, if it can help somebody out I'm happy to do so.

P.s. the engineering stuff has started adding new tools to the stash too😅 (3d printer and a 3 axis CNC)
what CNC did you go with? Fanuc control?

what CNC did you go with? Fanuc control?
Shapeoko 3xl ( it's really a router table). It's a home gamer machine, not even close to having Fanuc control (grbl based). But its got a cutting area of 32x16x3, will do non ferrous no problem, and most important it's decent and cheap ( for a CNC). I bought it to help me learn, not necessarily to do any real work with, but it's still a very capable machine for what it is.

Here's an example of what others have been able to do with it ( I did not do this, and am not even close to this in my learning curve yet)

IMG_20180731_162606_249.jpg

Cutting sides for a custom intercooler

Shapeoko 3xl ( it's really a router table). It's a home gamer machine, not even close to having Fanuc control (grbl based). But its got a cutting area of 32x16x3, will do non ferrous no problem, and most important it's decent and cheap ( for a CNC). I bought it to help me learn, not necessarily to do any real work with, but it's still a very capable machine for what it is.

Here's an example of what others have been able to do with it ( I did not do this, and am not even close to this in my learning curve yet)

View attachment 253077

Oh very cool! I unfortunately don't have any experience with arduino or similar systems.

Reactions: PNW Lj and kiwi

View attachment 253077

Nice! I've got a shapeoko xxl, use it mostly for woodworking at the moment, still gotta figure out how to do more complex 3d cutting on it...

Oh very cool! I unfortunately don't have any experience with arduino or similar systems.
From what I know very similar to the real stuff (gcode is gcode), you can run it with mach3 and the like. Biggest difference is you're using your computer for the interface, and it's a bit more clunky at times, and of course it's way slower! And rpm is way faster. My feeds and speeds for 6061 with a 1/4 2 flute is like .03" at 17500-20000rpm

Nice! I've got a shapeoko xxl, use it mostly for woodworking at the moment, still gotta figure out how to do more complex 3d cutting on it...
Fusion 360 cam makes life much easier then trying to deal with carbide create. I took one look at carbide create after I bought it, laughed and never opened it again. You can do everything in fusion, then important it over to carbide motion.

From what I know very similar to the real stuff (gcode is gcode), you can run it with mach3 and the like. Biggest difference is you're using your computer for the interface, and it's a bit more clunky at times, and of course it's way slower! And rpm is way faster. My feeds and speeds for 6061 with a 1/4 2 flute is like .03" at 17500-20000rpm

Fusion 360 cam makes life much easier then trying to deal with carbide create. I took one look at carbide create after I bought it, laughed and never opened it again. You can do everything in fusion, then important it over to carbide motion.
Haha yea i've been using Fusion 360 for a few years for 3d printing, modeling, and for the CNC. But need to learn the Cam/Manufacture part of it.

Reactions: B00mb00m and PNW Lj
Still trying to paint my GTS after welding it back together. The weather has not been cooperating.

Also haven't gotten my shipping confirmation from UCF.

• Sad
Reactions: kiwi and Squatch
Got my rear spring perch's mowed off. They did not come off nicely, so I will likely be shopping around for new ones. There was also a lot more rust on the "inside" than I was expecting so I'm gonna go for peace of mind overall.

Also finally got tracking info for my UCF order, it's looking like it'll get delivered middle of next week!
Really looking forward to having this all wrapped up, been a great learning experience.

Also had to cut a little piece out of my rear track bar bracket as the JKS one has a different position than the last two brackets that were on there (of course).

IMG_8046.jpg

My plan B is just to get dorman replacement brackets, but I'm just kinda googling around at other options just to see. I know most on here will suggest the doorman's but if anyone has any experience with others, I'm all ears.

Last edited:
Got my rear spring perch's mowed off. They did not come off nicely, so I will likely be shopping around for new ones. There was also a lot more rust on the "inside" than I was expecting so I'm gonna go for peace of mind overall.

Also finally got tracking info for my UCF order, it's looking like it'll get delivered middle of next week!
Really looking forward to having this all wrapped up, been a great learning experience.

Also had to cut a little piece out of my rear track bar bracket as the JKS one has a different position than the last two brackets that were on there (of course).

View attachment 255132

My plan B is just to get dorman replacement brackets, but I'm just kinda googling around at other options just to see. I know most on here will suggest the doorman's but if anyone has any experience with others, I'm all ears.
Good thing you still have some back-up transportation, eh, bud? ;)
1987-Yugo-GV-Front-Profile-630x390.jpg

View attachment 253077

Dude that's awesome! I am starting on a jeep project and might need some weight reduction pockets milled on 2"x3" bars could it do like multiple setups to get to 36"?

Reactions: PNW Lj
Dude that's awesome! I am starting on a jeep project and might need some weight reduction pockets milled on 2"x3" bars could it do like multiple setups to get to 36"?
Big maybe on that one. Multiple setups to get to 36, yes, Milling 2x3 (assuming its aluminum, Right?) would take some time, pm me if you want to chat about it.

Reactions: B00mb00m

View attachment 255132

I've still got mine I took off my TJ that I'm not reusing.

20200515_074647.jpg

20200515_090002.jpg

20200515_090015.jpg

If you need them let me know.

Ooo la la, and the ears have so much meat left on them 🤩 I don't know why I struggled so much with mine. the outside went fine, but i butchered the inside

I think we posted at the same time

Well it's up to you. They are just sitting here taking up space. But I get also using one of the kits.