Bump stops

BLindzy

TJ Enthusiast
Hello all,
I have a 97 TJ with a 3 1/4" lift and 31" tires. The bump stops have all but rotted completely away. What length do I need to order for my set up?

Thanks!!

You won't know exactly what length of bump stop extension you need until you pull your springs and cycle the suspension as @tworley said.

If you want to do all this in one swoop, I would recommend picking up this kit from metal cloak. The pucks are 1" and you can stack as many as you need. This way, as you are cycling the suspension you can add the necessary amount of pucks to make sure there is no interference anywhere.
https://metalcloak.com/universal-adjustable-bump-stop-system-1-4.html

I also use these durosprings from metal cloak. I've only had them in for about a month but I like them so far.
https://metalcloak.com/upper-front-durostop-bump-for-the-jk-and-jl-wrangler.html

You won't know exactly what length of bump stop extension you need until you pull your springs and cycle the suspension as @tworley said.

If you want to do all this in one swoop, I would recommend picking up this kit from metal cloak. The pucks are 1" and you can stack as many as you need. This way, as you are cycling the suspension you can add the necessary amount of pucks to make sure there is no interference anywhere.
https://metalcloak.com/universal-adjustable-bump-stop-system-1-4.html

I also use these durosprings from metal cloak. I've only had them in for about a month but I like them so far.
https://metalcloak.com/upper-front-durostop-bump-for-the-jk-and-jl-wrangler.html
Those look to be actual hockey pucks...LOL

Reactions: Bradjh122
Those look to be actual hockey pucks...LOL
They basically are but with holes drilled in them haha. They come with all the hardware options you'll need for however many pucks you use. I know there are other kits out on the market that are basically stackable 1" sections. I went with them and I like them a lot!

They basically are but with holes drilled in them haha. They come with all the hardware options you'll need for however many pucks you use. I know there are other kits out on the market that are basically stackable 1" sections. I went with them and I like them a lot!
Hell, I play hockey and have pucks laying around....LOL

Hell, I play hockey and have pucks laying around....LOL
I've heard of plenty of people using actual hockey pucks. Just drill a hole in the center and go buy some bolts and you'll be golden. To use the factory threads in the rear, I believe it is an M10 bolt. In the front, you will need to drill a hole in the pad on the axle side and use a washer and nut on the back.

Last edited:
@rasband can share his thoughts and experiences MC Durosprings :)

As to bumpstops; hocky pucks, body lift pucks, the factory spring pad, use your imagination.

I used Rockjocks bump stop kit because it gets rid of the jounce cup, which was plucking my springs at full droop. If you don't have that issue, hockey pucks are fine, I've also used Zone's bump stop extensions because they were about $12.

@rasband can share his thoughts and experiences MC Durosprings :)
I haven't used the Durosprings long enough to have a strong opinion. I'm interested to hear about @rasband experience!

They weren't on very long because they don't really do what you want when you're lifting - and I didn't understand that when I got them. The short is you really want to set bump stops set for your specific travel, and those didn't play along with that goal very well as a good bump stop typically does top and bottom. You also don't really need that much jaunce to slow down the axle travel - a more firm material is more than enough.

They weren't on very long because they don't really do what you want when you're lifting - and I didn't understand that when I got them. The short is you really want to set bump stops set for your specific travel, and those didn't play along with that goal very well as a good bump stop typically does top and bottom. You also don't really need that much jaunce to slow down the axle travel - a more firm material is more than enough.
I see what you're saying. I guess I was hoping it would just soften the blow when you reach full bump since the jeep spends a lot of time in the dunes. I have a trip coming up in a few weeks. If I don't like how the Durosprings perform, I can always throw the factory bumps back in.

Reactions: rasband
I see what you're saying. I guess I was hoping it would just soften the blow when you reach full bump since the jeep spends a lot of time in the dunes. I have a trip coming up in a few weeks. If I don't like how the Durosprings perform, I can always throw the factory bumps back in.
They might, I don't do much high speed stuff. I have been mostly dialing in my suspension travel for how I wheel (mostly rock crawling).

Yeah, I can definitely see how the durosprings would be kinda useless at slow speeds. I'll post an update on how I feel about them after my trip!

Reactions: rasband
The OEM bump stops compress to virtually nothing so aren't a factor in computing needed bump stop if I'm understanding how to calculate bump stop requirements. Do the DuroStop pads not compress completely so need to be factored into the needed amount of Stop?? Looks like they've got a solid ring above the collapsible part of the stops that may not compress.