Bumper Decisions

I'm in the same boat, run one without issue. I think if you can find them used after somebody changes bumpers they can be a good option.

The weight issue is a bit overblown. If you end up getting heavy steel bumpers like a set from Dirtworx you'll be in good company, plenty of us happily run steel bumpers.

I can definitely see where some can run one with no issue. In my case I was camping and using the LJ like a mini truck, constantly in and out of it. After awhile, fighting the 2 stage opening became an extreme annoyance.

In terms of the weight, there was more to the story there. My Nate's carrier was up to high and stuck out to far. The height part became an additional annoyance, because my 35" tire completely blocked the back window view. In the end, moving to another alternative did cost me money, but it also made the following improvements:

- shaved 31.5 lbs off the tail end
- pulled the tire in 6 inches closer to the tail gate
- dropped the 100 lb spare tire 8 inches, for a lower center of gravity
- gained rear window visibility back
- increased user experience exponentially, i.e. the tail gate & tire carrier opened with one fluid and solid motion

Like I said, I wouldn't necessarily recommend it to others, unless they had very specific needs. (y)

The picture here is an oldie, during my steelie days, but it shows a big improvement in tire position.
Y6v0fS4.jpg

Last edited:
When I was weighing all the options, I was in a similar situation. I needed solid rear recovery points, along with a 2" receiver, so I could tow a small trailer. Also, I had a Nate's swing out tire carrier/bumper that I hated, because I had to open the tire carrier first, then open the tailgate. One was always colliding with the other, or worse, me. I don't miss that at all!

Nate's was a terrible design. I don't miss anything about it.

Reactions: Irun
I do not regret the purchase of my tire carrier bumper. I probably wouldn’t buy one for a small (33” or less) tire, but it is convenient with the larger tire.

I frequently use the can and cargo racks even though I also have a roof rack. It also works well with bicycle carriers.

I went with the Rock Hard 4x4 tire carrier, which is probably heavier than the Dirtworx or others, but has an impressive carrying capacity. A full load of fuel cans, cargo rack, and spare can easily be 300 lbs.

It is also rated for towing, so I can remove the factory receiver.

A cheap front bumper option (that holds a winch plate) is turning your OE into a stubby. Lightweight, winch ready, and rests against the crossmember for support during the big hits (something only one other manufacturer does as far as I know). I also vote for a tailgate/body mounted tire carrier. Sits close to the body, weight is off the tailgate, weight is also reduced by having less big steel parts. I had carrier mounted to the bumper, and I did get tired of having to open the carrier, then the tailgate. Rear bumper--I vote for something minimal like the plate that covers the rear cross member.

20200303_115324.jpg

20200401_191259.jpg

20191117_161648.jpg
20191215_154954.jpg
20200828_123750.jpg

Reactions: SvtLdr