Bumper mounted tire carriers: are they all crap?

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Let's talk about bumper mounted tire carriers. I had one on my last TJ and hated it, and my new TJ came with one, and I hate it as well. Why do I hate it? Simple. The swing away tire carrier is anything but smooth. It doesn't easily swing open like you expect it to, it's met with resistance, and once you open it and it comes away from the mounting point on the rear bumper, it sags ever so slightly, so that when you do shut it, you have to use some force and lift the tire carrier up a bit so that it can get back into it's mounting position.

This is the same thing with both bumper mounted tire carriers I've owned, and I hate it. I see higher end options like the ARB, but I have a feeling they are no different.

So having said that, is this the way that all of them are? Or are there ones out there on the market that can work problem free for the life of the vehicle?

And FYI, mine have both acted like this with only 32" A/T tires mounted to them! We're not talking about 35" tires or 37" tires, where I might expect it.

Mine isn’t like that at all. It’s incredibly smooth and doesn’t sag. It uses two axle bearings instead of bushings.

Mine isn’t like that at all. It’s incredibly smooth and doesn’t sag. It uses two axle bearings instead of bushings.
That's a rare bumper mounted carrier design where they'll spend the $$$ to come up with something that good. Few use bearings there.

Reactions: Chris
I have the Rock Hard 4x4. It’s very well built. Very smooth. The latch itself is of good quality.

There’s no sag whatsoever. No rattles at all.

Honestly the only annoying part, for me, is having to open it to access the trunk. But I don’t access the trunk that much anyway, so it’s nothing to complain about.

There’s also the weight. But when I do wheel, it’s not hardcore. So there’s that.

Let's talk about bumper mounted tire carriers. I had one on my last TJ and hated it, and my new TJ came with one, and I hate it as well. .
I do not see myself replacing my OEM tire carrier into a bumper mounted style. I do not even remember when was the last time I swung my spare tire out for there is no space for stuff at the back anyway.

Anyone explains the benefit of it for me please?

I do not see myself replacing my OEM tire carrier into a bumper mounted style. I do not even remember when was the last time I swung my spare tire out for there is no space for stuff at the back anyway.

Anyone explains the benefit of it for me please?
the main benefit is getting the weight off of the tailgate before your hinges go to crap

Reactions: b0xcar
What brand are running?

Ground Pounder Fab.

There are a few on the market; Metalcloak, Rockhard, KD Fab, and I’m sure a few others. The Rockhard Jerry Can mounts are a pretty nice option for the carrier too, and can mount to any carrier using 2” square tubing on a 45 degree angle. I actually just got two over the holidays from a family member that no longer has his Rockhard carrier.

I have plenty of space in the back of mine, and swing out the carrier and tailgate to access the back all the time.

Let's talk about bumper mounted tire carriers. I had one on my last TJ and hated it, and my new TJ came with one, and I hate it as well. Why do I hate it? Simple. The swing away tire carrier is anything but smooth. It doesn't easily swing open like you expect it to, it's met with resistance, and once you open it and it comes away from the mounting point on the rear bumper, it sags ever so slightly, so that when you do shut it, you have to use some force and lift the tire carrier up a bit so that it can get back into it's mounting position.

This is the same thing with both bumper mounted tire carriers I've owned, and I hate it. I see higher end options like the ARB, but I have a feeling they are no different.

So having said that, is this the way that all of them are? Or are there ones out there on the market that can work problem free for the life of the vehicle?

And FYI, mine have both acted like this with only 32" A/T tires mounted to them! We're not talking about 35" tires or 37" tires, where I might expect it.

I installed a bumper/tire carrier/gas can mount from Keystone Fabrication on my 04 TJ. It was well built and does not sag with 31' tire & 2 gas cans on it. I made two modifications: the can mounts were plates with 90 degree bends front & rear---I replaced them with military can mounts.
The latch was a T-bolt that you had to screw in or out to latch or unlatch it---I replaced this with a spring loaded (modified) gate latch. Also I added 2 rubber bumpers between the tire & the can mounts (my 10.5" tire sits back 1 1/2" more than needed). Good product with mods. It's been on for almost 2 years so far.

Poison Spyder should make one for the TJ like they do the one on my JK.

15182250624071037389975.jpg

It simply opens with the tailgate. Nice.

I'm swinging open the back several times each and every time i drive the TJ, back seat is removed.
I have the Warn and while it's very smooth, i do have to lift to latch....no rattling at all.

The stock tailgate hinges simply can't support much above a stock tire as I've seen many sag.

I have a custom built swing out tire carrier. It’s built like a tank, no sag, 33 inch spare. I still hate it! It rattles and I get tired of having to swing it out to get into that huge storage area!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Chris and TJ2