Bumper mounted tire carriers: are they all crap?

Yeah, but I was hoping it'd be what you were after. Kinda like I'd feel if I tripped across a Currie V-bumper! :)

That’s still a highly sought after tire carrier, I just have no need for the Jerry cans unfortunately. But someone will want that, guarantee it!

Reactions: Squatch
Build your own, I built mine for about $250 used an old hub off my CJ5 and a stub axle from Trailerparts .com. I hate having to open the carrier then the tailgate so I made two links with heim joints at each end and tied it to the tailgate, now the tailgate latch keeps the tailgate and the carrier closed. I carry a 285 75 16 BFG Mud as a spare and I can stand on the carrier and it still swings freely and does not sag. Now mind you, this whole set up is way over built and really heavy but it includes a class III hitch. I have towed my single axle dump trailer with 1 1/2 ton of sand in it with no issues. Granted the LJ is not rated to tow that kind of weight but you do what you have to......just be very careful......

Reactions: Chris
pics
IMG_4145.JPG

IMG_4146.JPG

IMG_4147.JPG

IMG_4148.JPG

I have a Garvin wilderness eat that I bought used for next to nothing. The thing was very difficult to open, heavy and generally a PITA. I took it off the bumper, cleaned the king pin and the socket really well and used zinc coated o ring about 1/4" thick, put it over the pin, reassembled and greased it. Now the thing works perfectly, smooth. It doesn't sag and it opens effortlessly. I found that if you have any kind of burrs or grit on either mating surface, it Will wear out the flat washer that is usually between the 2 pieces. The o ring has less surface area for buildup to adhere.

Sent from my Z798BL using Tapatalk

Reactions: Chris
The uppWhile I am not a fan of tire carriers, undercoverfab makes what appears to be a really nice one. The hinge spindle is machined to accept 1 3/8" Timken trailer bearings. The hub is sealed to the elements with a grease seal on the bottom and an o-ringed aluminum cap at the top. It does state that to run the UCF tire carrier you will need a 1inch body lift.
http://www.undercoverfab.com/bumpers/249-aluminum-rear-bumper-with-tire-carrier-for-jeep-yj-tj.html

BDDFD382-F10D-41A4-A16D-247E735F7233.jpeg
8351E54B-F8C1-4D02-97DF-8FEDD7D41CF4.jpeg
13995921-2B13-46F0-9588-F7FE363170D3.jpeg
A2D8369A-A8D7-4D83-9DDC-7D86EEFFF194.jpeg
22E0C7D0-B4C9-4C7C-9266-FF322B44FDC3.jpeg
2D17F22A-94C0-405A-982A-2298F72D836F.jpeg

The upper mounting bracket for the tire carrier does look IMO cheap. But I havent seen any up close photos of it nor have I seen it in person.

Reactions: Squatch and Chris
The uppWhile I am not a fan of tire carriers, undercoverfab makes what appears to be a really nice one. The hinge spindle is machined to accept 1 3/8" Timken trailer bearings. The hub is sealed to the elements with a grease seal on the bottom and an o-ringed aluminum cap at the top. It does state that to run the UCF tire carrier you will need a 1inch body lift.
http://www.undercoverfab.com/bumpers/249-aluminum-rear-bumper-with-tire-carrier-for-jeep-yj-tj.html

View attachment 31639 View attachment 31640 View attachment 31641 View attachment 31642 View attachment 31643 View attachment 31644
The upper mounting bracket for the tire carrier does look IMO cheap. But I havent seen any up close photos of it nor have I seen it in person.
I'm kind of diggin' that. If I was looking for one, I'd sure be taking a closer gander at this...

I came late to this party.
@Chris I personally do like the swing out carriers, I had one on my YJ that did have bearings and it didn't rattle and it didn't sag. It was made from a guy in a garage as a prototype of one he was going to professionally build. So I don't have a brand name, but I had it for may years and it held a 33 nice with no issues.

I now have a Dirtworx on my TJ and it has no bearings. I have not had any issues with it, but I have a slight rattle from the base of my HiLift jack I have mounted on it. It (the hilift base) is held on by cotter keys so it is not solidly mounted, but seriously I cannot hear it over the other noises my TJ makes. It seems pretty solid, and best of all I like it because it is reasonably small compared to others. Like I didn't want a monster rear back bumper to hold my 31, but I did want to get it off of my tailgate hinges.

We'll see how the longevity of it is, especially because there is no bearings, but I haven't seen anything but good reviews.

That is my .02 FWIW

I started out with a nice heavy swing out tire carrier, then I removed the tire carrier and went to an Exogate and I have had great success. Now in all fairness I have to be honest. My tailgate is warped from the lock side about 8" in to the hinge side. Wasn't warped before, but I am carrying a 35 x 12.50 R17 on Trail Gear Crawler Wheels. I am at this very moment in the process of having my spare moved to the backseat. That is the cost of doing bigger and bigger obstacles. Trail Jeep to Rock Crawler. DSCN0184.JPG OI000625.jpg

Does the Exogate utilize the stock hinges at all? Could you wait for the stock to wear out/sag and then replace with Exogate?