Bumper mounted tire carriers: are they all crap?

What part of the tailgate was damaged? I just switched from the tire carrier to spare carrier mounted on the tailgate. I don't open it often or do any extreme wheeling, but I want to watch out for signs of sag or damage before it is too late.

What part of the tailgate was damaged? I just switched from the tire carrier to spare carrier mounted on the tailgate. I don't open it often or do any extreme wheeling, but I want to watch out for signs of sag or damage before it is too late.
I imagine the middle of the tailgate where the tire mount is will eventually pull outward from a tire that exceeds its weight capacity. Weight of the tire/rim, time and the amount of up and down movement over that time will tell. It could mess with your latching mechanism also, but that's just speculation. If I knew I was going to be carrying an oversized, heavier tire on my tailgate, I would want to beef it up before encountering any damage. That's just me.

I can see myself getting this and installing it this summer...:
J104172_alt1?$mproductlarge$&wid=810&hei=608.jpg

I put the MORryde Exogate on a few weeks ago. Install was simple, no drilling, just an easy bolt-on application. I was in a slightly different situation because I have the gr8tops hardtop and the back window bolts on to the tailgate, adding more weight for the hinges to hold. Combined with a larger tire (33s in the near future) and it made sense.

Reactions: Chris

Mine warped from the lock side 8" towards the hinge side.

And, the same dang thing with a different logo on it and $50 more. Ugh!

https://www.quadratec.com/p/rugged-...-carrier-hinge-casting-97-06-jeep-wrangler-tj

The Chinese hard at work. Make the same exact product, brand it with numerous different "brand names", and then sell it for prices that are all over the map.

This happens with bumpers, headlights, and so many other products too.

My "Barricade" floor mats are actually just re-branded "Rugged Ridge" floor mats with a different stick on them and a much better price.

Reactions: skrelnik
It gets irritating, and almost seems criminal at times. Well, I know who designed the Exogate, so I'll probably go that route when the time comes.

Reactions: skrelnik
I had an Expedition One rear bumper/tire carrier on my previously owned JKR. It was beefy as could be, and could hold a huge tire. Well made, and the carrier used two large bearings, so it opened and closed easily. It also was integrated into the tailgate, so they opened as one, Spendy, about $1400. The only issue with it was I could never seem to get the height adjustment quite right on the arm that attached to the tailgate. I tried for months, never did get it perfect. That adjustment made opening the tailgate smoother. Out of adjustment, there was some binding. It took angling the bumper just right, and the length of the coupler also. PITA.

The Exogate is the one I will get for an aftermarket. I had my fill of bumper mounted tire carriers, from cheap to expensive, never again.

We got a large dose of rain the last two days and I noticed on my way home that water was running down the inside middle of the tailgate. I've got a brand new Trektop that wasn't leaking before I mounted the spare to the tailgate. My only guess is that the weight of the spare is pulling on the tailgate enough to let water run in between the seal and the tailgate. I ordered the Exogate this morning.