Bumper not flat tow rated

Are you using a smittybilt bumper?
No, but it looks exactly like the smttybilt! It’s well built and attached to the frame with 6 1/2”-13 grade 8 bolts. It the bumper has d-ring attachments capable of recovering the jeep, it can hold up flat towing loads.

6EAA3F91-3130-4E71-A689-AF9877F8FFFB.jpeg

57CEA62A-4887-44B9-86DB-A67A39574BD3.jpeg

Two keys to success for setting up a stock bumper for flat tow:
Bolt the attachment angles to the bumper near the frame mounts, this limits the bending moment when towing (tensile when pulling, compression when stopping) and will help to transfer the load path directly to the frame.
Use steel backing plates on the inside of the bumper to spread the clamping pressure over a larger surface area.

I pulled a YJ over 10000 miles with the basic smittybuilt tow bar attached directly to stock bumper. Never a problem or worry.

Last edited:
It's hard to find a bumper that is rated to tow due to liability worries and the costs associated with the testing required for an official tow rating. TJs are only rated to tow 2000 lbs. and most any bumper with an integrated 2" receiver hitch should have no problem with that. Neither of my last two bumpers were officially rated to tow, due to the above reasons, but I tow my pop-up tent trailer all the time without issues or any worry at all.

You missed his ?.. He is looking for a front bumper that is rated/capable of hooking a tow bar up to. So he can tow his jeep behind another vehicle like a motorhome

You missed his ?.. He is looking for a front bumper that is rated/capable of hooking a tow bar up to. So he can tow his jeep behind another vehicle like a motorhome

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on pointing out an irrelevant response 2 + years later.