"But the Guys On the Forum Said I Need This Stuff" Build

Got a little more time over the weekend, the brakes turned into a little more than I wanted. The left rear brake hose looked suspect, so I wanted to replace them both. The hard line is crimped into the brake hoses from the factory, and there was no option that I could find for getting a full set of pre-bent hardlines with hoses. So I just got some hoses and a length of brake line & made my own. I wasn't planning on spending a day & a half on getting the lines just right, but I did. Should work fine, we'll see if my homemade flares leak when I go to bleed the brakes. I realized after I took this picture that the left brake line is farther away from the axle than I like, and given the fact that the pinion is going to be raised I think I'm going to redo that one. At this point I just want to get it centered so I can get my driveshaft.

Changed the pinion seal, cleaned up the axle, gave it a fresh coat of paint, & hung the control arms. Here she is in all her glory ready to be hanged.

View attachment 233013

View attachment 233014

What's not cool is that when I was going through my control arms from Core 4x4 two of the arms had forged ends with the snap ring not completely seated in the groove. I messed with them a little bit & can't get them to pop in. I called the place & their first response was to see if I can press the joint further into the housing, but I told them A: I don't have a press, and B: Even if I did, I have about an hour a week of free time to work on this thing & I'm not interested in losing my time because of their quality escapes. Still waiting to hear back.

Installing the zerks was also a pain in the ass because they got their powder coat all up in the threads. I couldn't chase it because my taps are tapered & wouldn't thread before they bottomed out on the joint, so I had to get a cutting wheel & nick a zerk fitting to turn it into a tap & chase the threads out. Minor annoyance.

View attachment 233016
Couple of sockets and some allthread and you don't need a press.

Couple of sockets and some allthread and you don't need a press.
Yeah, I couldn’t find a socket big enough to fit the housing to draw the joint through. I’m going to root through the shed tomorrow to see if I have something. They called back a little while ago & said they’d be happy to send me a shipping label. I’ll see what I can figure out.

Bonus, I listed the front Dana 30 that came with my Dana 44 and my old Dana 35 for $200 on the local Mormon Craigslist, got a text immediately from a guy that was really desperate for them. I figured I'd have a hard time getting rid of them but he came right over, paid me, & we loaded them up in the back of his truck.

Reactions: Wildman
It’s called KSL, it’s not really just Mormon but it is the only thing the folks in Utah use for some reason.
I went to fetch up a rig from a friend outside of Moab. On the way back I pulled into a gas station to get some fuel and while I was there a pick-up with a gooseneck stock trailer pulled in. Side door at the front opened and about 20 kids came pouring out. Guessing it was some sort of Mormon bus.

Is this really a thing or a poke at Utah?
Not a poke, it's real. KSL is Salt Lake City's NBC broadcasting affiliate and owned by the LDS Church. They have a classified section on their website that is pretty much what everyone here uses, probably because the Church controls everything. I haven't heard of anyone using Craigslist since I moved here in 2016.

Edit: there are lots of Jeeps on KSL.com, if you're ever looking for a high-desert model it's not a bad place to go. There's stuff on there from AZ, NV, ID, & WY.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alex01
Not a poke, it's real. KSL is Salt Lake City's NBC broadcasting affiliate and owned by the LDS Church. They have a classified section on their website that is pretty much what everyone here uses, probably because the Church controls everything. I haven't heard of anyone using Craigslist since I moved here in 2016.
Probably has to do with all the optional lifestyles that are part and parcel of CL. If you use it, you implicitly condone the "aberrant" behaviors.

Reactions: qslim
I went to fetch up a rig from a friend outside of Moab. On the way back I pulled into a gas station to get some fuel and while I was there a pick-up with a gooseneck stock trailer pulled in. Side door at the front opened and about 20 kids came pouring out. Guessing it was some sort of Mormon bus.
Highest number of children per family in the country! The Mormons like to procreate. Lots of white ones too. When we first moved here my son had a birthday so my wife rented a bounce house & invited all the neighborhood families with kids over for hot dogs. Between my little ginger kids & everyone else in the neighborhood my backyard looked like a Hitler youth rally until my Puerto Rican buddy who already lived here showed up with his kids. Pretty stark departure coming from the D.C. & Central Florida regions.

Edit: The majority of those folks never came around again either once they found out we weren't part of the church lol.

Updated build thread: installed a Core 4x4 and JKS sticker on my toolbox.

9F250332-9312-4BF4-A159-495A62DE09BE.jpeg