Buying a TJ

I understand your budget....but also, understand you get what you pay for. Take a moment and read my Zone lift review
Thank you I will prolly just save for a better 2.5 or 3" lift that said what's the best for the money? I know BDS has a great warranty and is reasonably priced. Terraflex is in the same price range and also has decent reviews. Also heard of rock krawler ome and Rubicon express. So what would be my best choice out of those? Or would I be better off piecing one together?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

You can get into a Rubicon Express Super Flex short arm for 1,300ish without shocks. Uppers, lowers and front track bar, rear track bar relocation bracket and disconnects.

Reactions: CasterTroy
You can get into a Rubicon Express Super Flex short arm for 1,300ish without shocks. Uppers, lowers and front track bar, rear track bar relocation bracket and disconnects.
But won't I need all that stuff?

You just can't go wrong with OME

That desire to go 33's and ditch the stock look is mighty tempting, and I DO understand it..but it's cheaper to do it right once, than it is to discover the less expensive way has now cost you twice as much

Reactions: JP98
There is a period after shocks. Sorry that may not have been all that clear. You only have to buy the shocks or add them to the kit.

That desire to go 33's and ditch the stock look is mighty tempting, and I DO understand it..but it's cheaper to do it right once, than it is to discover the less expensive way has now cost you twice as much
Caster is right. OME is the top but you will pay for it. Rubicon E would be a step under OME. I have the Rubicon Express on my rig and it has held up for 13 years now.

It has 31s now I just figured when it's time for new might as well go 33

There is a period after shocks. Sorry that may not have been all that clear. You only have to buy the shocks or add them to the kit.
My bad read it to fast and missed it completely

Caster is right. OME is the top but you will pay for it. Rubicon E would be a step under OME. I have the Rubicon Express on my rig and it has held up for 13 years now.
13 years would be nice the 3.5 with twin tube shocks is 1574. But with over 3 I maybe getting into modifying the driveline right?

13 years would be nice the 3.5 with twin tube shocks is 1574. But with over 3 I maybe getting into modifying the driveline right?

At about 4" you get into the driveline mods. If you run 3.5" with out a body lift you should be okay.

At about 4" you get into the driveline mods. If you run 3.5" with out a body lift you should be okay.
I plan on it eventually just gotta work with the money I got an I'll prolly be dropping items I wanted to get that lift.
Prolly gonna hold off on tube fenders winch light bar, engine rebuild. Of course a 3.5" lift with 31s is gonna look silly till I can save for 33s should I wait and get 33s and lift at same time? That's why I was going cheap to start just to replace the blown suspension. I think it's blown anyway rides pretty rough. I don't think it's ever been replaced since bought new in 01

I plan on it eventually just gotta work with the money I got an I'll prolly be dropping items I wanted to get that lift.
Prolly gonna hold off on tube fenders winch light bar, engine rebuild. Of course a 3.5" lift with 31s is gonna look silly till I can save for 33s should I wait and get 33s and lift at same time? That's why I was going cheap to start just to replace the blown suspension. I think it's blown anyway rides pretty rough. I don't think it's ever been replaced since bought new in 01

A smooth riding 3.5" lift with 31's is much better than a rough riding cheap 3.5" lift with 33's in the long run.

Prolly gonna hold off on tube fenders winch light bar, engine rebuild..........

Dude, it's a JEEP (just empty.....) you'll be spending money on this thing for GENERATIONS :b1:

That's both a curse and a blessing.....if you take your time, you NEVER get bored of mods...but if you try to rush it....you're gonna go broke.

Most people take on a project vehicle and either dive in too fast and get too far over their heads and lose interest, or get too anxious and move on to something already build.

Take your time....chip away at it a dollar at a time, but know your limits. If you know putting it on blocks to swap out something or fix something will take months, do a cheaper mod and keep it on the road/trail. The more ground you put under you the more smiles you'll enjoy. Owning a Jeep is like running a marathon, not a sprint....pace yourself and finish....don't bust an o-ring trying to WIN :cool:

Reactions: derekmac and JP98
Dude, it's a JEEP (just empty.....) you'll be spending money on this thing for GENERATIONS :b1:

That's both a curse and a blessing.....if you take your time, you NEVER get bored of mods...but if you try to rush it....you're gonna go broke.

Most people take on a project vehicle and either dive in too fast and get too far over their heads and lose interest, or get too anxious and move on to something already build.

Take your time....chip away at it a dollar at a time, but know your limits. If you know putting it on blocks to swap out something or fix something will take months, do a cheaper mod and keep it on the road/trail. The more ground you put under you the more smiles you'll enjoy. Owning a Jeep is like running a marathon, not a sprint....pace yourself and finish....don't bust an o-ring trying to WIN :cool:
I hear ya there I spent 7something on stuff today and I didn't even put a dent in my list of mods

Reactions: CasterTroy
My 2cents worth:
I think that TJ's look good on small lifts, mine has a set of H&R spring that lifted it about an inch and a half, and they do really well on the street and on the trail. I also run 31" tires and the difference in appearance is noticeable. I did mine for off road performance reasons and increased capacity. Works great, but then I've got an SE and 4.10 gears.
2017-side-view-jpg.11282.jpg

This SE goes like stink on and off road.

Current Mods:
All fluids changed
Maintenance performed regularly
H&R springs (about 1 - 1/2" of lift)
Bilstein 5100 0 -2" shocks (the valving is a good match for the trail conditions and the H&R springs)
KO2 31x10.50R15 tires on stock Grizzly wheels
Tow hooks from the farm store front and back
CB radio
Recovery gear
Tool kit
Viair air pump
Bumper mount for farm jack
Axe & shovel
Snatch strap

Future Mods:
Revolution Super 35 kit with 4.88 gears
Revolution front axle shafts
Front Powertrax No Slip lunch box
Rear Detroit locker
Vanco brake kit (stock replacement stuff, huge upgrade)
Engo winch (OK, just kill me now. It's not a Warn, but it'll work for what I do and I can afford it.)

That's it. That's all the mods the SE needs to get me way back into the back country and into more trouble than I can stand. Works really well in all the conditions that I've run across so far and I can keep up with most anybody around here. Skill / experience > mods

My 2cents worth:
I think that TJ's look good on small lifts, mine has a set of H&R spring that lifted it about an inch and a half, and they do really well on the street and on the trail. I also run 31" tires and the difference in appearance is noticeable. I did mine for off road performance reasons and increased capacity. Works great, but then I've got an SE and 4.10 gears.
View attachment 11303
This SE goes like stink on and off road.

Current Mods:
All fluids changed
Maintenance performed regularly
H&R springs (about 1 - 1/2" of lift)
Bilstein 5100 0 -2" shocks (the valving is a good match for the trail conditions and the H&R springs)
KO2 31x10.50R15 tires on stock Grizzly wheels
Tow hooks from the farm store front and back
CB radio
Recovery gear
Tool kit
Viair air pump
Bumper mount for farm jack
Axe & shovel
Snatch strap

Future Mods:
Revolution Super 35 kit with 4.88 gears
Revolution front axle shafts
Front Powertrax No Slip lunch box
Rear Detroit locker
Vanco brake kit (stock replacement stuff, huge upgrade)
Engo winch (OK, just kill me now. It's not a Warn, but it'll work for what I do and I can afford it.)

That's it. That's all the mods the SE needs to get me way back into the back country and into more trouble than I can stand. Works really well in all the conditions that I've run across so far and I can keep up with most anybody around here. Skill / experience > mods
Do you have a link for shocks and Springs? Or what is Cost you roughly

Would building my own kit be a bad idea? I found OME 2.5" Springs and Fox shocks I can get for around 700 and that'll make it road worthy with good parts and just over time add more. I already have an adjustable track bar from rock krawler, just need the rear bracket. In the long run it may be a little more expensive but it's all about small progress any way right? Lol

Here's the springs: https://www.tirerack.com/suspension...oModel=Wrangler+SE&autoYear=1999&autoModClar=
They've gone up a little in price since I bought mine. They also go on sale once in awhile.
Front shocks: http://www.extremeterrain.com/bilstein-5100-series-f-02-tj-24-186810.html
Rear shocks: http://www.extremeterrain.com/bilstein-5100-series-r-02-tj-24-186827.html

This is just so you can see the shocks and springs and read the descriptions. Look around and you can probably find a better deal on them from the vendors on this site. The springs usually run in the range of $230 a set of four, and the shocks are about $80 each.

Be aware that you can run into front track bar interference problems with a small lift. That's dangerous.

Here's the springs: https://www.tirerack.com/suspension...oModel=Wrangler+SE&autoYear=1999&autoModClar=
They've gone up a little in price since I bought mine. They also go on sale once in awhile.
Front shocks: http://www.extremeterrain.com/bilstein-5100-series-f-02-tj-24-186810.html
Rear shocks: http://www.extremeterrain.com/bilstein-5100-series-r-02-tj-24-186827.html

This is just so you can see the shocks and springs and read the descriptions. Look around and you can probably find a better deal on them from the vendors on this site. The springs usually run in the range of $230 a set of four, and the shocks are about $80 each.

Be aware that you can run into front track bar interference problems with a small lift. That's dangerous.
Thank you I do like the look of your jeep I'm not sure I'd get as much lift since I have aftermarket bumpers and full doors quite a bit more weight. Also what height lift should I start thinking about the adj track bar?