Buying my first jeep

Zach

Hey everyone, I'm new here and new to having a jeep, I had a 2011 dodge ram that was bought back by Chrysler after they botched a recall. Now, I'm looking into buying a jeep, I've found one that is totally stock except the radio. It's a 2001 4.0 5 speed and I was wondering what should I do first given that everyone here seems to have built there's up some. Thanks for any help!

Hey everyone, I'm new here and new to having a jeep, I had a 2011 dodge ram that was bought back by Chrysler after they botched a recall. Now, I'm looking into buying a jeep, I've found one that is totally stock except the radio. It's a 2001 4.0 5 speed and I was wondering what should I do first given that everyone here seems to have built there's up some. Thanks for any help!

How much are they asking for it? Do you have any photos of it by chance?

Also, do you have any major concerns about the vehicle?

Honestly my father in law has done as complete of a restore to his 97 as you can with out taking it off the frame, he looked it and the only things we found wrong were two places of rust on the fenders, just surface. He said the frame is in great shape and everything. It's got 175k on the mileage and the guy wants 6600 but said he'd come a little under 6 with cash.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

uploadfromtaptalk1449982094327.jpg

It has full doors on it too I forgot to mention that

Honestly for the price and the condition that seems like a great deal. The mileage wouldn't worry me too much as long as it's been properly maintained.

The surfaced rust (as long as that's all that it is) could fairly easily be fixed as well.

Yeah I'm pretty pumped for it honestly, should I lift it first I'm guessing?

Yeah I'm pretty pumped for it honestly, should I lift it first I'm guessing?

That's usually the first thing people do is a lift, I know that's the first thing I did.

If it were me I would do a lift and tires first. I would just make sure to save for the lift and tires first because a good and proper lift will cost a pretty penny if you want to do it right.

I looked up a rough country 4 inch lift and it's a complete kit for 500

I looked up a rough country 4 inch lift and it's a complete kit for 500

Yes, they are cheap kits but the ride quality of them is very poor. However, if you're not looking to do any serious off-roading then yes, the RC kit would be a viable option.

I found the same kit from skyjacker for just a little more

I found the same kit from skyjacker for just a little more

Skyjacker is about the worst of the worst. I would go with Rough Country over Skyjacker if I had to choose. Rubicon Express might be another somewhat affordable option if you're on a budget I always recommend OME and Currie, but those cost a pretty penny!

Reactions: _swede
OK thanks for the info, like I said I'm new to all of this

I hear ya! It all depends on how much you want to lift it. I wouldn't go over 4" of suspension lift. Even at 4" you're going to run into a lot of other hidden expenses like needing a SYE (slip yoke eliminator), new double cardan driveshaft, etc.

A 2.5" suspension lift will usually allow you to get away without most of those other hidden expenses.

With a 2.5 how big of tires can I run???

With a 2.5 how big of tires can I run???

With a 2.5" lift you can run 33" tires without rubbing. Add on a $100 1.25" body lift on top of that (for a total of 3.75" lift) and you'll have a very capable setup and plenty of room for those 33" tires.

Don't bother going to 35" tires unless you have a lot of money to put into it. With 35" tires you'll need to beef up your axles (well, if you plan on doing any off-roading that is).

33 are big enough for what I want to do with it I don't plan on doing anything extreme just playing around and commuting