CA tuned Jeepers

Shwiftypickle

TJ Enthusiast
Saw a post on IG stating they will be searching for pcm tunes during smog checks! Not sure if it's true or fake news. If anyone has info and could post it up for the CA members it would be cool to give them a heads up! Have a good day everyone! 0lllllll0

I know GMC was doing that at the dealers, when the vehicle was in for a warranty repair. I'm not sure how they would check every manufacturer's type of vehicle. They might be able to tell if it was "flashed" but that could mean almost anything.

Sub'd

Sounds like something Commiefornia would do.
What idiot doesn't pull the tune when it goes in for a smog check anyway? I don't know any tune that will fly under the radar so it isn't like they are looking for something hard to find.

Kinda like the morons who do a head swap and go whipping into the smog station with a bright red anodized throttle body. No red flags there.

What idiot doesn't pull the tune when it goes in for a smog check anyway? I don't know any tune that will fly under the radar so it isn't like they are looking for something hard to find.

Kinda like the morons who do a head swap and go whipping into the smog station with a bright red anodized throttle body. No red flags there.

I can't speak to Jeeps, but in the past I was able to pass DEQ (smog) in Oregon in various BMWs and other American muscle cars with tunes on them. Of course DEQ in Oregon is probably not on the same level as they are in California. It may also be that since there was no emissions disabled on any of those tunes, the systems all showed ready without any issues.

I don't know how much California looks into it. I'd be surprised if they plugged in a computer and could read all the factory timing / ignition / air fuel tables and then see if they've been modified. I am not sure what level of ECM access they have besides just hooking up a OBDII reader to it and checking that all the emission systems are in place and ready.

I'm convinced California goes WAY out of its way to find every possible conceivable infraction on everything. I fully believe smog tests are by now looking for tuned PCMs. I will miss the state's beauty, climate, and wheeling but I won't miss anything but that when I move to Florida next year.

Reactions: WWII Jeeper