Can a TJ VIN be used on TJ Unlimited build?

Have 05 LJ auto to build, 98 TJ 5 speed to use for parts, 5.3 LS with 4l60e. Have titles for both.

What will be easier, cheaper and better to build:?

1) 5.3 with 4l60e into the LJ
2) 5.3 with Ax15 from TJ into the LJ

Have 05 LJ auto to build, 98 TJ 5 speed to use for parts, 5.3 LS with 4l60e. Have titles for both.

What will be easier, cheaper and better to build:?

1) 5.3 with 4l60e into the LJ
2) 5.3 with Ax15 from TJ into the LJ

You're doing so much work, what do you WANT to build? If it were me, It would be the LJ, for sure.

Try to weigh on 4l60e or ax15 base on others experience

Based on not having done that specifically but just about everything else connected, I suspect you'll have to find a way to adapt the CPS to run off of the GM PCM. If you do the GM/GM swap, that should inherently be part of that specific LS harness with no adapting needed other than what it would take to interface it with the TJ body harness for the gauges and whatnot depending on the route you go, adapted OEM gauges or new gauge set.

Easier would be GM/GM into the TJ, easiest would be to swap over the TJ 4.0, TJ trans, TJ harness and get that all working. When that is done, then do the motor swap.

Based on not having done that specifically but just about everything else connected, I suspect you'll have to find a way to adapt the CPS to run off of the GM PCM. If you do the GM/GM swap, that should inherently be part of that specific LS harness with no adapting needed other than what it would take to interface it with the TJ body harness for the gauges and whatnot depending on the route you go, adapted OEM gauges or new gauge set.

Easier would be GM/GM into the TJ, easiest would be to swap over the TJ 4.0, TJ trans, TJ harness and get that all working. When that is done, then do the motor swap.

The TJ will be just for parts, did you mean GM/GM into the LJ?
Wondering why would it be easiest to move the TJ engine/tran into the LJ?

Yes the LJ, but with 4l60e or ax15?

After having the same Jeep with both a manual and an Auto, I would go auto, all day, every day, and never feel bad about it. Plus, I think it would be easier to keep the powertrain all GM. Yeah, your dash might be tougher, but manual gages are "better" anyway.

Reactions: psrivats
The TJ will be just for parts, did you mean GM/GM into the LJ?
As far as the swap goes, there is no fundamental difference between the TJ and TJ Unlimited. From the end of the t-case forward to the grill, they are identical in all respects and the only difference that would concern you is extending a brake line, fuel pump harness, and driveshaft.
Wondering why would it be easiest to move the TJ engine/tran into the LJ?
Plug and play. Except for the longer bits mentioned above.

For the VIN challenged, we'll see who is paying attention. This is a new door jamb VIN sticker that needs replaced. See if you can spot why.
old
1716923303280.png

new
1716923371271.png

• USA Proud
Reactions: psrivats and jjvw
As far as the swap goes, there is no fundamental difference between the TJ and TJ Unlimited. From the end of the t-case forward to the grill, they are identical in all respects and the only difference that would concern you is extending a brake line, fuel pump harness, and driveshaft.

Plug and play. Except for the longer bits mentioned above.

Yes, they are the same beside the length. So basically everything out of the LJ will be removed and replaced with the TJ pcm, harness, trans, tcase, and fuel tank, and adapting the clutch pedal. ??

And that is easiest then GM/GM into the LJ?
🤔

You're going to want the 4.88s but you'll also want the Dana 44 unless the 35 is a super 35.

Is the Dana 44 geared at 3.73 any stranger then the 35 geared at 4.88? Never used an axle with locker, so dont think I will miss it. Though the LJ has rear disk brake, is that really worth it?

So I end up getting the 04 LJ with a title, but in need of a Frame. I am exploring the option of extending the 98 TJ frame to use on the LJ. Are those two frame comparable at all? if so in what location will the TJ frame be cut for the extension?