Can anyone check a CarFax for me?

FirstJeep

TJ Enthusiast
Is there anywhere somebody can check out a Jeep like a Carfax without paying for it? I’m not cheap but for $40 I would think there is so,e other way to find out.

To me, CARFAX reports are misleading and nothing you can base a buying decision on. The ONLY items you'll find on CARFAX reports are those incidents that were reported through official channels. If someone nearly totals their vehicle and just takes it to the local body shop for repair, that will not show up on CARFAX. If it was in a hurricane area and flooded with salt water that was only cleaned up cosmetically enough to sell, that will not show up on CARFAX.

Last edited:
To me, CARFAX reports are misleading and nothing you can base a buying decision on. The ONLY items you'll find on CARFAX reports are those incidents that were reported through official channels. If someone nearly totals their vehicle and just takes it to the local body shop for repair, that will not show up on CARFAX.
I have the growing sense over time that CarFax is about as legitimate as the almighty Better Business Bureau.

I take carfax reports with a grain of salt. Mainly to see how many owners and locations it’s spent time in as well as to see if the title is clear. Also it’s likely major accidents would be on there that were claimed through insurance although minor ones may not. But I wouldn’t base a decision solely on it.

Last edited:
So if someone ran a free report for him and it gave him any piece of info as far as how many owners, dealer service reports, ect, your saying its stupid? Hes not asking if he should spend alot of money on a report or if its worth it. I guess my theory is some info is better than nothing. Maybe im crazy.

Reactions: cjaama
So if someone ran a free report for him and it gave him any piece of info as far as how many owners, dealer service reports, ect, your saying its stupid? Hes not asking if he should spend alot of money on a report or if its worth it. I guess my theory is some info is better than nothing. Maybe im crazy.
If you had cancer, would your doctor only telling you that you had acne be better than no information at all? :)

Reactions: TimboSlice
If you had cancer, would your doctor only telling you that you had acne be better than no information at all? :)
I like this. Dr. CarFax can't tell you if the frame is rotten. But he might know about some occasional dealer service.

The point is that CF is only information. But it might not be useful information.

Reactions: TimboSlice
In all honesty, if I had a CarFax account for you, I'd run it, but I've never paid the money for one.

Is there anywhere somebody can check out a Jeep like a Carfax without paying for it? I’m not cheap but for $40 I would think there is so,e other way to find out.
Go to my "mycarfax", set up an account, add the jeeps vin to your "garage".

This will give you a very limited view of the jeep but its free.

I take carfax reports with a grain of salt. Mainly to see how many owners and locations it’s spent time in as well as to see if the title is clear. Also it’s likely major accidents would be on there that were claimed through insurance although minor ones may not. But I wouldn’t base a decision solely on it.

Couldn't have said it better. A Carfax report has a use, and is helpful when buying a car. It can confirm many things that the Seller is claiming, like if a recall was performed or not, how many owners, even the maintenance and repair history if the work was done at a repubatle dealership. That literally adds value to the car as it opens up the buying pool to more potential Buyers, as some Buyers rely on that as confirmation.

Here is a specific example from today. I was on BaT bidding on a car but the Carfax was only through August 2017. A few Buyers, including myself, asked the Seller to post the most recent Carfax. The Seller did not post it, and for that reason, along with a couple other reasons, I stopped bidding at a certain price point, and the car didn't hit the reserve as other Buyers got cautious.

A Carfax is helpful and adds value, and for $5 is a great buy before you make a large investment.

OP - If you need a Carfax PM me and I will send you an email to a guy I used. I used him this week for a car I am checking out this weekend, and the Carfax confirmed a lot for me, and also helped me with my list of questions. He charges $5 through Paypal. He is from the BMW forums and has been doing this for many years.

I can't disagree with those who aren't fans of using CarFax but... I've used it several times. When I bought my current Jeep, I signed up for multiple reports and was able to run reports on Jeeps and able to cross them off my list before wasting time to go see them. It was worth it for me not to drive all over Atlanta to see see crap. I recently purchased a Jeep to Part out and after seeing it, ran a CarFax as well to legitimize the engines mileage. You can fake anything but this gave me some piece of mind.

Best report I ran was on my old 1999 Sahara. My brother totaled it back in 2010 and I should have bought it back and fixed it. When I was hunting down my current TJ, I looked up my old VIN and really happy to see it is back on the road in Denver which I'm sure has better trails than here in Atlanta.
CarFax can help with Piece of mind but should't be your only source of due diligence.

I use them mainly when shopping for a used car, I am within an hour of New York City, I want to see where it was registered and serviced. I have seen 15,000 mile lease turn backs from the city area that have no suspension, banged up bumpers and a whole host of other things I don't want. I certainly do not rely on it in it's entirety but I have eliminated an awful lot of prospects due to them.

When I look for vehicles and theres a link that shows the carfax Ill take a gander at it. Sometimes its nice to know that it was serviced regularly at least. Dont ever rely on one though. Similar to others, if I sold mine today and the buyer asked for a carfax, there would be no records of the time it has spent in my hands.