Can I run 37s with a 4 inch lift?

They might not be full on high line style fenders. All I know is the front end has been trimmed a bit, and they sit a little higher than stock. Not sure what to call them lol. I didn’t install them
Your clearance issues with those 37's (and 35's for that matter) will be at the back wall of the front fenders on full lock. Getting a little higher up top is a very minimal gain. Try what you're doing in your 4th photo with your wheel fully turned.

Reactions: rasband and jjvw
They might not be full on high line style fenders. All I know is the front end has been trimmed a bit, and they sit a little higher than stock. Not sure what to call them lol. I didn’t install them
Because of the outer tube, they sit lower than stock.

Reactions: taylormade73
Your clearance issues with those 37's (and 35's for that matter) will be at the back wall of the front fenders on full lock. Getting a little higher up top is a very minimal gain. Try what you're doing in your 4th photo with your wheel fully turned.
It depends on the amount of up travel and the total shock travel. To make up some reasonable numbers, 3" of up on an 8" shock might not let the tires to mash into anything. 😁

Did someone say highline?
20210522_202300.jpg

Or are we talking about stock height?
20210327_140652.jpg

Prehaps we are looking for a minor 1.25" gain over stock?
20210104_203519.jpg

I've been through some fenders what can I say lol. I didn't even go far enough to show the bushwackers or stockers.
So, following your build, in order of least amount of clearance to most amount of clearance (for 35's)...
Stock
Bushwacker
Genright normal hood
Metal cloak
Genright high line
Is this right? Or do the gen right normal hood fenders actually have less clearance than stock?

I'd put the stock, bushwacker, and GR non HL in the same category. The MC added 1.25" of clearance with the point of contact on the rear wheel well. The GR highlines added so much room I'd need 14" (maybe longer) coil overs to fill the gap with an acceptable amount of downtravel imo.

So I’m sure I’ll get some crap for this, but my rig is 5in on 37’s.

Couple things. I bought it like this, as a replacement for my last TJ that got totaled. When I bought it it had Nitto trail grapplers which their 37’s are actually about 36.5. Anyway, my 00’ TJ has a Wagoner Dana 44 up front and a Rubicon Dana 44 in the rear. I mostly don’t disagree with what the other people on this forum say but I would say, if you aren’t going hard on the trails, you probably won’t destroy Dana 44’s with 37’s. Especially considering most tires aren’t exactly true to size. I just got a new set of tires and while they’re supposed to be 37’s I measured and they’re closer to 35.75. I’ve also got highline fenders in the front and tube fenders in the rear. The 4in suspension lift is also a custom mid arm, so the control arm brackets have all been moved towards the center of the Jeep by about 3in.

I didn’t really have any issues with travel limitation when I take it off road. At a off road park near me I was able to test out my suspension while I still had the trail grapplers and I was satisfied with it…for now.

of course there’s things I want to improve, in the years coming I plan to get a different DD, so I can stretch it and keep 37’s and have better stability and break over angles on obstacles. But for what I do now, I’m more than fine with how it runs.

View attachment 268201

View attachment 268202

View attachment 268203

View attachment 268204

View attachment 268205
That articulation should not be acceptable.

ED3786B2-598F-4A84-A172-7B1DAC4F5BB8.jpeg

That articulation should not be acceptable.

View attachment 268262
For the amount of off roading I do, and the type of terrain I go on, it is acceptable…for now. I don’t disagree with you at all that it could be better, but I bought it like this. Like I said, the new set of tires I got(first pic) are actually 35.5in so I’ll have more articulation just from that. But I plan to fix and address all those “issues” eventually. I’m DD’ing it right now but once I get a another vehicle, I’ll be building this out to the tits, I just love the hobby. For now, it’s incredibly smooth and reliable on the road, can easily go highway speeds and steer with one finger, and has blown through any obstacle I’ve put it in off road with ease.

Reactions: JMT and Alex01
You can run 38s with no lift, so I would say 37s with a 4" lift is an easy thing to do!

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/do-38s-fit-with-no-lift-the-question-nobody-asked.33737/

But just be aware, you'll need one of @mrblaine's big brake kits to stop it ;)

Make a YouTube video about it and then ask Blaine if he'll sponsor you... just so we can see his response :LOL:
Pretty sure it will fit in the front. Can't say if will fit in the rear until he tries it.

Ummm, ok.

In the end she says it's very tight.

Reactions: Chris
Yes you can. Most tires are not as tall as advertised. Lots of 35s are actually 33 or 34 inch tires and some 37s are 35 inches tall. So the argument is whether you run actual or manufacturers sizes. It’s ridiculous really. Bottom line is yes.

• Dislike
Reactions: Lou
Yes you can. Most tires are not as tall as advertised. Lots of 35s are actually 33 or 34 inch tires and some 37s are 35 inches tall. So the argument is whether you run actual or manufacturers sizes. It’s ridiculous really. Bottom line is yes.
You know fuck all about measuring tires.

Have you ran all 3 of these? If you could send me a message I'm at the point where I'm not sure what fenders to get ha
I ran the MC highlines for a few years. The GR nonhighline I only ran for a few weeks before swapping to the highline. Since I extended the shock towers for the MC fenders the Non highline GR fenders didn't allow the tire to go all the way up.

Higlines are really looks based unless you're going to raise the mounts. To really maximize the highlines coil overs are needed in my opinion.

The one thing I liked about the MC fenders was the predrilled inner fender liners for the stock components.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrDmoney
4" is typical for 33" tires, 5" for 35's. What axles are you running? The TJ never came with any axles capable of running 37" tires and not breaking or at least not lasting very long. The biggest tire size I'd run on a Wrangler TJ with any axles the factory ever installed would be 35's. Nope, there's no way to beef up any of the factory axles to be strong enough for 37's.

Great answer! Very good information. I had the same question, so this helps a lot. I have a '97 TJ with a 4 inch lift and run on 33's. I seriously want to upgrade to 37's but figured I couldn't without some serious modifications. Still thinking about upgrading to 35's though.

4" is typical for 33" tires, 5" for 35's. What axles are you running? The TJ never came with any axles capable of running 37" tires and not breaking or at least not lasting very long. The biggest tire size I'd run on a Wrangler TJ with any axles the factory ever installed would be 35's. Nope, there's no way to beef up any of the factory axles to be strong enough for 37's.

Great answer! Very good information. I had the same question, so this helps a lot. I have a '97 TJ with a 4 inch lift and run on 33's. I seriously want to upgrade to 37's but figured I couldn't without some serious modifications. Still thinking about upgrading to 35's though.
I’m on 37’s with 4” of lift. I like it a lot and don’t want to go higher.

No other modifications to axles or brakes? Still not having any issues?

Reactions: Jerry Bransford