Can I use a grinder to cut off my track bar?

Tzerambo

TJ Enthusiast
I have an 04 Jeep Wrangler unlimited and I am replacing my track bar and I went to take the cotter pin out from the castle nut but it has rusted both ends of the cotter pin off so there is no way I can turn the castle nut because the cotter pin is still inside. So I’m resorting to taking a grinder right where the rubber piece that holds the grease. Will this work or not.

If you cut through the grease boot, the taper will still keep the remaining piece of the bolt stuck in the mount.

You need to remove the nut one way or another.

If you cut off the rest of the track bar, you will have a miserable time getting the remaining tapered bolt free.

Last edited:
Reactions: MaloStapalo
If you cut through the grease boot, the taper will still keep the remaining piece of the bolt stuck in the mount.

You need to remove the nut one way or another.
Won’t I just be able to hit the bottom of it and knock it upwards and out?

Stock track bar, correct? The taper doesn't taper that way.
Yeah it’s a stock track bar but from the way it looks to me I can just cut right at the grease boot and hammer upwards and not have to unbolting the castle nut because i won’t need it as the new track bar came with one. Will this work tho?

Yeah it’s a stock track bar but from the way it looks to me I can just cut right at the grease boot and hammer upwards and not have to unbolting the castle nut because i won’t need it as the new track bar came with one. Will this work tho?

The taper still doesn't taper that way. ;)

Reactions: MaloStapalo
It shouldn’t take too much effort to shear the remaining pieces of cotter pin, unless you are battling severe rust too.