Canvas Tool Wrap Comparison

Since Jeff and I were together in Moab, and his tools were out, I set mine beside it so we could have a pic for this thread. 🙂

IMG_9965.jpeg

My Bravex is working out great so far. One thing though on the Ernst socket trays, a few of my numbers fell off. When I applied them I made sure everything including my hands was clean, anyone solved this? Clear spray paint? Package tape over the top?

Reactions: JMT
@B1Toad i only have some cheap socket rails with no labels. I’d think that clear packing tape would work well. No reason a good clearcoat wouldn’t work as well.

The Bravex is still working great for me too. It’s nice that it has clear pockets for labels, but as you can see from the pics above, when it’s all loaded up and you open the roll you can’t see the labels. So, the placement of the clear pockets is not ideal. Jeff’s sewn on version on the Terrev is much better.

I purchased a tool wrap based on this thread. Have had it about 2 months now. Will never go back to a box, that's certain. The wrap has 27 lbs of tools in it thus far and has been flawless. Big thumbs up and thank-you to the thread starter and participants.

20230904_163134.jpg

20230904_163156.jpg

I purchased a tool wrap based on this thread. Have had it about 2 months now. Will never go back to a box, that's certain. The wrap has 27 lbs of tools in it thus far and has been flawless. Big thumbs up and thank-you to the thread starter and participants.

View attachment 455228

View attachment 455230

Yup I feel the same way. I just need to label my pouches and I don't sew so I guess I'll use a marker.

Reactions: srimes
My other idea is a dot of spray paint on the socket and wrench pouches, blue for metric and red for SAE. On my rollaway I marked my metric drawers with blue.

Reactions: JMT
A nice addition to your home tool set are ratcheting wrenches. I don't know why I waited so long to get them but partly because when they first came out they were either really expensive like Snap-On or they were junk. I got the Husky lifetime ones and I really like them, the tooth count is high and they work great in tight spaces where you don't have a lot of swing room. The feel of the mechanism is very good. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-7...n-Wrench-Set-20-Piece-HRW20PCSMN-06/318258380

I wish more tool makers would etch the sizes on the wrenches and sockets so you can see them easy. It's especially painful when you are crawling around underneath a vehicle that uses both SAE and metric. I'm going to try cleaning some of mine real good and putting paint or nail polish over the tiny engraved numbers then wiping it off real quick and see if it stays in the recessed numbers and makes them easy to see.

I wish more tool makers would etch the sizes on the wrenches and sockets so you can see them easy. It's especially painful when you are crawling around underneath a vehicle that uses both SAE and metric. I'm going to try cleaning some of mine real good and putting paint or nail polish over the tiny engraved numbers then wiping it off real quick and see if it stays in the recessed numbers and makes them easy to see.
It's not permanent, and I have to replace it frequently, but I use different color electrical tape and or fingernail polish to mark my different size sockets and wrenches. I only do this to the frequently used sizes when I work on my motorcycle. 8mm is black, 10mm is red, 13mm is white, and 17mm is brown.

I don't know what colors I would use working on my Jeep because of SAE and metric, or the odd 15, 16, 18mm sizes,

It's not permanent, and I have to replace it frequently, but I use different color electrical tape and or fingernail polish to mark my different size sockets and wrenches. I only do this to the frequently used sizes when I work on my motorcycle. 8mm is black, 10mm is red, 13mm is white, and 17mm is brown.

I don't know what colors I would use working on my Jeep because of SAE and metric, or the odd 15, 16, 18mm sizes,

I'm considering putting red marks on all my SAE just to tell them from the metrics. I may do something like a double mark on the most used. Back before metrics were so common I prided myself on being able to spot the right size SAE wrenches, sockets and fasteners by just looking at them. My eyesight might have been better then tho.....