CB radio locations

Cooper Smith

No longer have a Jeep :(
Supporting Member
What have you guys done for CB locations? I bought a small Uniden unit and have no idea where I should put it yet. Dash? Below steering column?

Years ago I mounted it just to the right of the head unit. I’ve seen others mount it above the rear view mirror.

You also lose easy access to your 12v plug, so I put in a 90-degree adapter for my phone cable.

My dashcam and radar detector already use my power plug via a splitter. I'll probably do without that for a while or give up the dash cam. Cigarette lighter doesn't supply power through plugs, but lights cigarettes so I'm assuming one of the contacts are corroded behind or I didn't look hard enough.

I could hard wire it to the fuse-box but I'm not feeling that.

20240423_103124.jpg

20240423_103141.jpg

Arizona Rocky Road used to make an overhead mount; it was a 2x1 square metal tube with ears welded on either end and mounted to the door surround knob. You could mount a gmrs or cb anywhere overhead and the wires ran inside the tube and down the windshield frame. An identical mount could be made easily with a piece of metal framing or strut channel.

I think tuffy makes an overhead console that goes from the front bar to the middle roll bar and is set up for some storage and a cb

I just used a midland portable unit and just hook it up for events. You just run the antenna and wire inside. The plug just lives near the front of the center console. Range works well enough for the groups.

Midland 75-822 40 Channel CB-Way Radio https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00000K2YR?tag=wranglerorg-20

I went this route because most places/groups are transitioning to gmrs. I keep a gmrs handheld in the jeep too.

I think tuffy makes an overhead console that goes from the front bar to the middle roll bar and is set up for some storage and a cb

Tuffy makes a single & dual compartment overhead console. I have the dual compartment version.

overhead.jpg
'

One note on any overhead mounts, Make sure your head can't hit the CB or other radio mounted above you.

Reactions: Longwhitejeep
Because I use my CB in both of my 06's, and only use it occasionally, I wanted to be able to mount it in either Jeep whenever I needed it so I designed a no-drill mount that installs in a minute.

The radio sits behind the center console; it's adjustable for angle and there's room between the console and the radio to stash the mic.

CBMount1_eioEwvdgFHSqQgyeN7LFrS.jpg

Side view:

CBMount2_dcS6HeyF4cxCSi2a6XxrqD.jpg

To install it, open the console lid, hook the bracket over the sides of the console, shut the lid and attach the CB to the brackets using the thumbscrews that came with the CB. Installs in a minute and I can swap it between Jeeps easily. You can see in this photo how the brackets hook over the sides of the console:

CBMount2o_afwq9upDPDsmWpvSCGHBa3.jpg

These are the brackets before painting. They're designed for the width of my CB but could easily be made for other size CBs.

CBMount3_gMDEHpp6nCMVk4pMUBb9eD.jpg

CBMount1.jpg

CBMount2.jpg

CBMount2o.jpg

CBMount3.jpg

Last edited:
x2 Unless your current wheeling group is entirely on CB, I would go GMRS. The range and sound quality on GMRS is a tremendous improvement, and they've overcome CB in popularity (at least in my area).

My club is still using CB's so I have both. Which makes it nice having the Tuffy dual compartment console.

Reactions: PNW_LJ