CB SWR level is extremely high

Are you just running a whip then Jerry? I only put the spring there because I am in the habit of forgetting to remove the antenna and always worried I am going to hit it on something and rip the mount off.
Yes I run nothing but the antenna, never a spring. I started running a 2' FS-2 Firestik nearly 20 years ago, it never gets close to anything. It performs well for me. I started with a 4' then quickly went to a 3' but even that was too tall for my garage door once my Jeep got taller. The 2' has proven perfect, it gets out well and I have never been tempted to go back to anything taller.

Yes I run nothing but the antenna, never a spring. I started running a 2' FS-2 Firestik nearly 20 years ago, it never gets close to anything. It performs well for me. I started with a 4' then quickly went to a 3' but even that was too tall for my garage door once my Jeep got taller. The 2' has proven perfect, it gets out well and I have never been tempted to go back to anything taller.

Good to know, maybe I’ll switch from my 3’ to 2’ in that case. The 2’ wouldn’t catch on anything. I was only worried about range, hence the 3’.

@Chris Just so you know, a higher antenna will typically have more range. Adjusting the height like we did was finding the sweet spot that makes that antenna happy. If you go and get a 4 inch antenna that “sweet” spot could be 1 inch higher then the 3 inch antenna on the same mount. Think of it as a sweet spot but each antenna length will have a different length that makes it happy. Going down to a 2 inch will just decrease your range. If you are happy with the size of the 3 inch I say keep it and maybe try the flexible version. I have a 4 inch whip on mine and it’s actually groan on me and is not annoying.

Reactions: Chris
@Chris Just so you know, a higher antenna will typically have more range. Adjusting the height like we did was finding the sweet spot that makes that antenna happy. If you go and get a 4 inch antenna that “sweet” spot could be 1 inch higher then the 3 inch antenna on the same mount. Think of it as a sweet spot but each antenna length will have a different length that makes it happy. Going down to a 2 inch will just decrease your range. If you are happy with the size of the 3 inch I say keep it and maybe try the flexible version. I have a 4 inch whip on mine and it’s actually groan on me and is not annoying.

I will keep that in mind. It looks like with this 3’ antenna it just barely clears my garage by a few inches, so that’s good. I’m going to keep this one for a while and see if it gives me trouble in terms of hitting things.

Reactions: gaabbee
@Chris

Just getting back to this thread.

Sounds like the antenna is now tuned well enough, although removing powder coat between antenna mount and carrier and between carrier and tub for a better RF ground would be in order. Doing that will not require you to re-tune. Use tinned copper braid or strap, not wire, because RF waves travel on the surface not through the wire and braid has more surface area.

Conceptually, think of antenna mount grounding to the body/frame as providing something for your Tx radio waves to push off of, like a diver pushes off a diving platform. The more solid the platform, the higher and farther from the platform the diver can dive.

As for antenna springs, since you apparently have a decent tune I would leave the antenna and spring alone for now. Don't mess with success.

If you change antennas, my recommendation would be to ditch the spring and stiff 3' Firestik II and replace with a flexible 3' Firestik Firefly and no spring. (Wilson also makes a flexible antenna but no one I know likes them.) Or you could use a 2' Firestik II sans spring but performance will suffer somewhat from the shorter antenna length and because less of the antenna will extend above your jeep. [AFAIK, the shortest Firefly is 3'.]

BTW, the way I addressed the garage door clearance issue is with Breedlove 100% brass antenna quick disconnects. I use a 2' Firestik II around town because it doesn't extend above the roof line and therefore doesn't interfere with the garage door. I switch to a 4' Firestik Firefly for local runs and longer trips, which does noticeably improve range.

If you choose to investigate antenna quick disconnects, avoid the cheap ones. Many are made from pot metal and will not last. Also, poor quality quick disconnects loosen over time and contribute to poor radio performance.

These look like decent disconnects:

https://www.rightchannelradios.com/products/heavy-duty-cb-quick-disconnect
http://www.firestik.com/Catalog/K&R-1A.htm

These are better:

https://breedlovemounts.com/store/ols/products/quick-disconnect-coupling
rs=w:900px,h:900px.jpg

Last edited:
@Chris

Sounds like the antenna is now tuned well enough, although removing powder coat between antenna mount and carrier and between carrier and tub for a better RF ground would be in order. Doing that will not require you to re-tune. Use tinned copper braid or strap, not wire, because RF waves travel on the surface not through the wire and braid has more surface area.

Conceptually, think of antenna mount grounding to the body/frame as providing something for your Tx radio waves to push off of, like a diver pushes off a diving platform. The more solid the platform, the higher and farther from the platform the diver can dive.

As for antenna springs, since you apparently have a decent tune I would leave the antenna and spring alone for now. Don't mess with success.

If you change antennas, my recommendation would be to ditch the spring and stiff 3' Firestik II and replace with a flexible 3' Firestik Firefly and no spring. (Wilson also makes a flexible antenna but no one I know likes them.) Or you could use a 2' Firestik II sans spring but performance will suffer somewhat from the shorter antenna length and because less of the antenna will extend above your jeep. [AFAIK, the shortest Firefly is 3'.]
Just for good measure I am still planning on adding the ground strap and removing the powder coat. Of anything it could give me a boost, which is fine with me.

I ordered this ground strap since the size is correct:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016HPX4O/?tag=wranglerorg-20

However, it’s not copper. Will that be an issue do you think?

@Chris

@Chris

I have the Wilson whip and it works fine for me. Just needed to cut off the extra grounding wire that is useless.

Just for good measure I am still planning on adding the ground strap and removing the powder coat. Of anything it could give me a boost, which is fine with me.

I ordered this ground strap since the size is correct:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016HPX4O/?tag=wranglerorg-20

However, it’s not copper. Will that be an issue do you think?

Cancel that order.

Get this instead (1/2" x 10'), cut to fit, and crimp eye terminals on each end using a bit of heat shrink. Make a few and run one or two from tub to frame, another from exhaust pipe to frame, etc..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BIBQ940/?tag=wranglerorg-20

5133R1EeHaL._AC_.jpg

Its called "bonding". You can learn more here: http://www.k0bg.com/bonding.html

Cancel that order.

Get this instead (1/2" x 10'), cut to fit, and crimp eye terminals on each end using a bit of heat shrink. Make a few and run one or two from tub to frame, another from exhaust pipe to frame, etc..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BIBQ940/?tag=wranglerorg-20

View attachment 205049

Its called "bonding". You can learn more here: http://www.k0bg.com/bonding.html

I’ll do this. Have you done it? Do you think it makes a noticeable difference?

I have a 2', a 3', and a 4' firestik. Same antenna, just different lengths. I like the look and the convenience of the 2', but the 3' gives me the best SWR readings. Luckily it fits (by about an inch) in my garage. I mounted mine up front though instead of the rear.

This pic is with the 2' installed
RDUHBjLh.jpg

I’ll do this. Have you done it? Do you think it makes a noticeable difference?

Yes, in many mobile installations both CB and ham.

It does make a difference - objectively, not just subjectively.

There is a point of diminishing returns. A couple of mount to tub and tub to frame straps plus an exhaust pipe strap should be plenty.

Someone asked whether measuring the VSWR in their garage would make any difference. I knew it would but I wasn’t sure how much. So I measured mine. The first picture is with the Jeep parked on the street. The second picture is with it parked in the garage. So don’t tune your antenna in the garage..

C8DF0092-ABEA-4EEC-9241-3F0FEE89CBF8.jpeg

667E98CB-641E-4655-98DB-6C5787A6933B.jpeg

I had a very big antenna with a spring and quick disconnect at one point. I switched to a shorter antenna (a 2 foot firestik if I remember correctly) without a spring. Much easier and it is lower than my roof. Never had an issue with range with it. A much better solution in my opinion since it isn't constantly flinging around and you don't have to take it off every time you want to enter your garage.

I had no friggin' idea a garage could cause that much SWR. I tuned mine outside, but it was pretty close to the metal garage door. I think I need to go out to a park somewhere and check it again...

Reactions: TurboTJ
Good to know, reading more about it as we speak. I will run a strap from the hinge to the tub, tub to the frame, etc.

I am about to ground my terraflex mount. @Chris , where did you run the mount's ground strap to? Somewhere right inside the back window? I was thinking of using one of the existing bolts that holds the back tailgate latch in place.

@Mr. Bills , can you say more about crimping eye terminals? The only eye terminals I've worked with were for 14 or 16 gauge wire. Same concept, just big enough to crimp over this braided stuff?

I am about to ground my terraflex mount. @Chris , where did you run the mount's ground strap to? Somewhere right inside the back window? I was thinking of using one of the existing bolts that holds the back tailgate latch in place.

@Mr. Bills , can you say more about crimping eye terminals? The only eye terminals I've worked with were for 14 or 16 gauge wire. Same concept, just big enough to crimp over this braided stuff?
I am not using the TeraFlex mount, but I ran the ground strap to the bolt that attaches the tailgate hinge to the body.

Reactions: SSTJ
I have the Teraflex L/S light mount and I'm planning on grounding to the "extra" mount bolt inside the tub then running the wire to one of the tub reinforcement brackets, that way the ground strap is completely inside the tub
I have the Firestick fire ring coax so I'm not sure the mount needs to be grounded but a good ground never hurt anyone