CB SWR level is extremely high

Here are the SWR readings without the coil:

The SWR is 3 on channel 1 and 1.75 on channel 40 with the tunable tip installed but screwed all the way down.

The SWR is 3.5 on channel 1 and 3.25 on channel 40 with the tunable tip removed completely.
Ok now play around with the tip length. You can just do the test on channel 20.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford

Ahhh, watching that video from Right Channel Radios they made it seem like you needed to do the test on channel 1, then channel 40, and then compare the difference.

Also, does it matter that I am doing this in my garage? If it helps, we live in a very rural area with not much around, but we are in a neighborhood if that makes a difference.

Going to play around with the tip length now. I'll report back shortly.

@Chris
Ahhh, watching that video from Right Channel Radios they made it seem like you needed to do the test on channel 1, then channel 40, and then compare the difference.

Also, does it matter that I am doing this in my garage? If it helps, we live in a very rural area with not much around, but we are in a neighborhood if that makes a difference.

Going to play around with the tip length now. I'll report back shortly.
I would maybe park in the street. Also get in and close the door when you test it. You will most likely get a better reading with the tip on now and extended some.

Okay, I just played around with it and on channel 20 I got the SWR to read 1. On channel 1 and 40 it reads 1.25.

Yes, it matters a lot. You need to find an open space (at least 20 ft around, more would be better though).

Okay, that gives me something to do tomorrow when the little one is napping.

@Chris

I would maybe park in the street. Also get in and close the door when you test it. You will most likely get a better reading with the tip on now and extended some.

I'll go out into the desert tomorrow. 100 feet from my house is open country for as far as the eye can see.

But given these findings, it would seem my issue isn't ground related, it's related to that coil spring?

Okay, that gives me something to do tomorrow when the little one is napping.

I'll go out into the desert tomorrow. 100 feet from my house is open country for as far as the eye can see.

But given these findings, it would seem my issue isn't ground related, it's related to that coil spring?
It's related to the height of the antenna. If you are getting 1 to 1.25 you are set.

Reactions: Zorba
It's related to the height of the antenna. If you are getting 1 to 1.25 you are set.

Just to be certain I am going to go out tomorrow and make sure everything is still good.

I had no idea the height of the antenna could make that big of a difference. I thought this was a ground issue for sure.

@Chris If the SWR on channel 40 is higher than that on channel 1, your antenna is too long. If the SWR on channel 1 is higher than that on channel 40, your antenna is too short. I made you remove the tip to see how your numbers changed. By removing the coil we lowered it too much. Adding the tip on brought it to the right height.

@Chris If the SWR on channel 40 is higher than that on channel 1, your antenna is too long. If the SWR on channel 1 is higher than that on channel 40, your antenna is too short. I made you remove the tip to see how your numbers changed. By removing the coil we lowered it too much. Adding the tip on brought it to the right height.

Now I just need to find a way to get that coil back on there so that if it gets caught on something, it doesn't rip my mount off.

I suspect that means I'll need a 2' Firestik antenna as oppose to 3'.

Now I just need to find a way to get that coil back on there so that if it gets caught on something, it doesn't rip my mount off.

I suspect that means I'll need a 2' Firestik antenna as oppose to 3'.
Can you mount it on the lower hinge of the Exogate? We would have to go through this again and it may not work.

Can you mount it on the lower hinge of the Exogate? We would have to go through this again and it may not work.

Yes, I could do that as well. I only mounted it up higher because I thought I had read something about the best place to mount an antenna was at the same height as the tub.

I think that's the same one I have now. It looks identical to mine at least.

I'm not actually 100% sure what a "whip" is to be honest.
Its flexible. There is a standard one which is ridged and would break if it got stuck on anything unless you add a coil to it.

Its flexible. There is a standard one which is ridged and would break if it got stuck on anything unless you add a coil to it.
Okay, mine is the standard one then, but it looks identical to that one you linked to, hence my confusion. If I can’t make it work with the spring I will get the whip. The flexibility is nice since I’m certain at some point I’ll catch it on something.

Reactions: gaabbee
Okay, I just played around with it and on channel 20 I got the SWR to read 1. On channel 1 and 40 it reads 1.25.
Don't touch a thing it doesn't get any better than that. 🤩

I'm no fan of adding springs to antennas except in the most dire woodsy low hanging branches type circumstances. They just sway around excessively and bang into everything on an offroad trail. Not to mention they make it harder to tune antennas to a good low swr.

Don't touch a thing it doesn't get any better than that. 🤩

I'm no fan of adding springs to antennas except in the most dire woodsy low hanging branches type circumstances. They just sway around excessively and bang into everything on an offroad trail. Not to mention they make it harder to tune antennas to a good low swr.

Are you just running a whip then Jerry? I only put the spring there because I am in the habit of forgetting to remove the antenna and always worried I am going to hit it on something and rip the mount off.