Charlotte the '99 Sahara

thekidwithquestions

Acquiring Jeep funds...
Supporting Member
so it started when I turned 14 and I wanted a car to work on, and the car I wanted was a jeep, I knew nothing about them except that they could off-road pretty well, so I started checking craigslist and Facebook marketplace every day, once I saw a yj on the side of the road for sale, I convinced my dad to bring me to go look at it and we did and I almost bought it, btw at that point I still knew NOTHING about them except that I wanted a 4.0L not a 2.5L, fast forward a few months I still knew nothing, finally I found this:

AA4A3859-3EE3-4679-A591-C1B8F8F64B38_1_201_a.jpeg
1999 Sahara 162000 miles, 4.0L 5spd manual, bought it and immediately started looking on craiglist for parts, bought a led light bar, a set of 6 inch pocket flares and a tubular bumper 🤦🏽‍♂️, then I did lots of what I thought to be good research and bought a 3 inch BARE BONES teraflex lift and bilstein shocks, my dad bought my first pair of tires for me, 33/12.50
Micky Thompsons baja atz p3, this is where I was:
397E919A-2A39-4936-89AE-9292679FD5E4.jpeg
then I did actually research and found out about a thing called dana 35s, turns out I had one, so again lots of checking Craigslist, I found a dana 44 from a LJ with 137000 miles and 3.73s bought it for $700, brought it home and took about 3 weeks to swap (I ran into a LOT of issues and I was not prepared)
IMG_0117.jpeg

IMG_0105.jpeg

but I hasn't fallen out yet so im happy, more recently I've taken off the tubular bumper and light bar, I sold the bumper and the light bar is for sale (PM me;) ) then I went through a phase of repainting things, I sanded and painted my stock front bumper and trimmed it, painted my side mirrors, sanded and painted my gas tank skid plate.
tempImagehEFBRM.png

this is after I repainted my mirrors and repainted and trimmed my stock bumper.

then I decided I wanted 4wd again so I did research and now im getting my gears swapped in a few days to 4.56 (Already done) I can't wait. also I got my driving permit recently (I now have my license)
so I've really gotten enjoy my hard work and its all been worth it. currently my plan is to not do ANY cosmetic stuff till I finish drive line and under body work.

there you go, thanks for reading! thanks to every one on the forum, y'all have been super helpful
updates coming soon (probably) please leave suggestions if you have any
My goal is for a daily driver that can do some gnarly trails if I want it to

Here's everything currently on it:

Suspension:
3 inch lift (teraflex springs, Black Max shocks)
Savvy Adj. Rear CAs
JKS front track bar
Rock Jock rear track bar
Sway Lok

Bumpers/Skids:
Custom front bumper
Dirtworxs Rear Bumper
Custom 1 inch gas tank skid tuck

Gears/Lockers/Drivechain:
Dana 44 rear/Dana 30 front
4.56 Yukon gears
ARB Air locker in the rear
JB conversions Super Short SYE
Tom Woods Driveshaft

Interior
Weather Tec floor mats
Uniden 510xl CB radio
Wildboar grab handles

Misc:
ARB air compressor under the hood
33 12.50 Micky Thomson baja atz p3s
Ion Alloy rims
Dorman Extended Brake Lines
1 inch savvy BL
1 inch savvy MML
Firestick 2' antenna
ZJ tie rod conversion
Savvy transfer case shifter

Last edited:
here's a few glamor shots, im still waiting to get my gears swapped, once I have 4wd again I'll take it off-roading and (hopefully) get some cool pictures, and since I finally have my drivers permit I'll hopefully be driving down to uwharrie, which is a state park that has some 4x4 trails
1628188973242.jpeg
1628188938662.jpeg
1628188771665.jpeg

Last edited:
I think I just finished the typical new jeep owner cycle, thinking that I need a whole bunch of exterior things to make it look cool then after doing all that realizing that they look great stockish, (im saying stockish because a small lift and some nice rims look pretty good IMO)

• USA Proud
Reactions: JMT and Tob
I think I just finished the typical new jeep owner cycle, thinking that I need a whole bunch of exterior things to make it look cool then after doing all that realizing that they look great stockish, (im saying stockish because a small lift and some nice rims look pretty good IMO)
Yeah but you did it so quick! Saved yourself some headache for sure. I spent several years doing the new jeep owner cycle haha, if only I could go back in time...

Reactions: thekidwithquestions
so when I installed my MML I wanted to shorten my TC drop kit so when I dropped the bolts from the skid using our new impact wrench and I stripped out a few, so now I have some nut inserts on the way from black magic brakes, also I was getting ready to have my gears swapped when I remembered forgot to order the spider gears, so now im waiting for those before I can get my gears swapped. not to long ago I installed some zone sway bar links and I installed the bolts the wrong way and I found out a few days ago that the bolts ends were scraping the frame
95CF0EE7-07E2-47BC-9717-9C49297A74AC.jpeg
so I had to turn the bolts around. lessons learned.

I'd recommend a different style pin as well that way you don't have to constantly bend the cotter pins. PS nice Jeep I started with my sahara bone stock when I was 16. You've got a good jump on things.View attachment 270418
I thought about those, but I think the cotter pins will be a little more secure and im not going to be disconnecting them a ton so im not worried, I am going to keep a extra pair of pins in my jeep tho. and thanks im very excited I got my driving permit recently

Reactions: JMT and 02GreenTJ