Cheap Seat Spacers

I spaced mine up about .75" in order to install the under-seat lock box from bestop. It's not very well designed for the clearances under the seat so i had to bump it up to keep the seat slider mechanism from locking up on the box.

I also got one of the bestop safes but mine doesn’t seem to interfere with anything. Used it a couple of times already.

If your over 6 foot and need more leg room. Look at the Misch Big Boy seat brackets. They give you 4 inches more room to the rear. But also add a small amount of lift. Maybe a half inch. This greatly improved my driving experience at 6'3". In 03-06 seats.

Seats came in two styles early 97-02 and late model 03-06 (these are the taller squarer ones). The late model are supposed be 1.5 inches shorter than the early model seats.

I went from early model to late model in my jeep. But did not see a 1.5 drop. As my early model seats were already sagging quite a bit. So I think I was already sitting 1.5" lower before I upgraded to the later model seats. If your running early model seats and want to upgrade to alot better seat. Give the late model ones a try. They are way nicer than the early model seats imho. And you may not see a drop in stance if your early model seats have been used alot. But again, I'm 6'3". YMMV.

Looks like a good, cheap alternative to buying a seat lift.

However, another cheap way to achieve the same goal, potentially in a comfier way, is to just buy a seat cushion (as long as you get one thick enough to actually raise you up a bit). I bought one years ago and it's worn to shit, but still comfy as can be.

Not what I have, but an example of a cheap one on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P9PFT5R/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I suppose a fancier person could even get one with a heater built in.

I spaced mine up about .75" in order to install the under-seat lock box from bestop. It's not very well designed for the clearances under the seat so i had to bump it up to keep the seat slider mechanism from locking up on the box.

I had scraping problems with mine, too. The risers definitely stopped that problem.

Well I know that I had a lot better view of the trail in my 95 YJ than I do in my 05 TJ. Does anyone have issues getting into the seats after raising them up. My is already a hop up to get in with a 4" lift, 1" BL and 35's.

My thoughts are that raising the seat a bit will increase my leg room. The headspace in my Tj is plenty but I hadn’t thought about the roll bars being in the way. I’ll have to try it and see how it feels after my knee heals up.
Hey man. I just noticed your avatar. I looked and stared at it. Finally it hit me. Did you do the kit or was it already done when you bought it?

My ‘02 Tj had the normal oem faded full hard top when I bought it but I knew that I wanted a half hard top but didn’t want to buy another Cj8 [had an ‘84] in order to get the half top look. I researched around and found GR8TOPS, this half top is one of their products. I had them do a turnkey build [2 days] with a sprayed in bed liner and a storage trunk. It was a 6-7 hour drive each way and an over night hotel stay. I’m enjoying it a lot and am going to build a 1/4 in aluminum diamond plate hard tonneau cover as soon as I can get healed up. Also want it undercoated and repainted, top and tonneau to match the body. My take on a Tj/Scrambler. They also sell their stuff if you want to DIY.

My ‘02 Tj had the normal oem faded full hard top when I bought it but I knew that I wanted a half hard top but didn’t want to buy another Cj8 [had an ‘84] in order to get the half top look. I researched around and found GR8TOPS, this half top is one of their products. I had them do a turnkey build [2 days] with a sprayed in bed liner and a storage trunk. It was a 6-7 hour drive each way and an over night hotel stay. I’m enjoying it a lot and am going to build a 1/4 in aluminum diamond plate hard tonneau cover as soon as I can get healed up. Also want it undercoated and repainted, top and tonneau to match the body. My take on a Tj/Scrambler. They also sell their stuff if you want to DIY.

I ran across an article about that mod. I kind of like it. Sure the TJU/LJ would be more proportional but, I don’t have one of those. If I can find a roll bar to cut I would DIY it. I’m deployed and a Unit of the horizontal engineers under me are South Carolina National Guard. So, I may take a trip to visit and pick up the kit. I live in North Alabama. Not to bad of a trip. If you don’t mind me asking, what was the bill?

For the painted top with speaker install, dome lights and brake light, bulkhead, rhino liner and aluminum trunk and of course labor it was a little over 4000.00. I removed everything in the back before driving there to reduce the labor cost. With nothing in the back of the full cab that was a noisy trip. But I wanted a done right turnkey job and didn’t mind the extra cost. You are correct that a Tju has about the same wheelbase as a Cj8. I didn’t realize this but when I found Ripley my plan wasn’t initially a Tj/Scrambler just a solid 2 dr hdtp, auto, no lift Jeep. Things evolve, so now I’m going for the Tj/Cj7/Scrambler look. Being single and retired has a few perks and I’m enjoying spending my sons inheritance. Ripley will look real good when I’m done with her.
FF147AD8-4B78-4773-B126-640BC94D4EF4.jpeg

Last edited:
If your over 6 foot and need more leg room. Look at the Misch Big Boy seat brackets. They give you 4 inches more room to the rear. But also add a small amount of lift. Maybe a half inch. This greatly improved my driving experience at 6'3". In 03-06 seats.

Seats came in two styles early 97-02 and late model 03-06 (these are the taller squarer ones). The late model are supposed be 1.5 inches shorter than the early model seats.

I went from early model to late model in my jeep. But did not see a 1.5 drop. As my early model seats were already sagging quite a bit. So I think I was already sitting 1.5" lower before I upgraded to the later model seats. If your running early model seats and want to upgrade to alot better seat. Give the late model ones a try. They are way nicer than the early model seats imho. And you may not see a drop in stance if your early model seats have been used alot. But again, I'm 6'3". YMMV.
I second the brackets to relocate the seat. Pretty easy installation and makes the tj seem like a normal sized vehicle instead of a matchbox. I need the leg room and steering wheel clearance for my wheel stopper (i.e. gut). A couple inches with the bracket made a world of difference.

First I want to say thank you for this great forum. I have been reading through different posts and learning a lot on a variety of topics. I just bought my first Jeep a 99 TJ and while cleaning it out and putting seat covers I discovered the seats raised. I came looking to ask specifically if people raise their seats and why when I found these posts. I'm going to remove the spacers and see how the ride feels. I kept wondering why I felt like I was riding so high. It feels like the steering wheel is way too close to my legs, my head is a bit too high and most uncomfortable is when I'm turning my hands hit my legs. Im 5'11" so Im not particularly tall or short, but it would seem to me the taller you are the more uncomfortable this modification would be. I can totally see doing it if you needed to be able to see over the hood a little better. If you are taller I think finding a way to go back instead of up would be much more beneficial.

m6Cy6qhAR5SzlPbsvyxJaQ.jpg

m6Cy6qhAR5SzlPbsvyxJaQ.jpg

Reactions: Blondie70
First I want to say thank you for this great forum. I have been reading through different posts and learning a lot on a variety of topics. I just bought my first Jeep a 99 TJ and while cleaning it out and putting seat covers I discovered the seats raised. I came looking to ask specifically if people raise their seats and why when I found these posts. I'm going to remove the spacers and see how the ride feels. I kept wondering why I felt like I was riding so high. It feels like the steering wheel is way too close to my legs, my head is a bit too high and most uncomfortable is when I'm turning my hands hit my legs. Im 5'11" so Im not particularly tall or short, but it would seem to me the taller you are the more uncomfortable this modification would be. I can totally see doing it if you needed to be able to see over the hood a little better. If you are taller I think finding a way to go back instead of up would be much more beneficial.

View attachment 119595

View attachment 119596

Ya. Those are seat risers. Look to be aluminum. I'd sell them. I think those are the nicer or most expensive ones. IIRC.

I'm 6'3" and hear your pain. Even my stock seats without risers could be lower for my liking. If they were any higher I would have a real problem. Even now I have to crane my neck down to see a streetlight.

I went from 97-02 seats to 03-06 seats in my '99. (The early ones being the tear drop shape. The later ones being the more modern square seats you see in later Jeeps.) The later ones are supposed to be shorter. But my early ones were so old and worn out. That when I switched to the later seats it actually made me sit higher.

But anyway, as long as your '99 stock seats (if that is what you have) are in good shape - switching to the later seats may gain you some more clearance. As the late seats are supposed to be shorter than the early ones. And the later seats with there brackets are a direct bolt on to your early stage Jeep. So if you wanted to switch to 03-06 square seats you could easily. They also look better IMHO. Check www.car-parts.com for seats. That's like the national clearinghouse for junkyards nationwide.

Reactions: philski
I used left over wheel nuts as spacer. Free and perfect 1"lift from old parts lying around. Also $5 worth of home depot nuts will do too.

20191009_173801.jpg
20191009_173811.jpg
20191009_185904.jpg

Last edited:
Ya. Those are seat risers. Look to be aluminum. I'd sell them. I think those are the nicer or most expensive ones. IIRC.

I'm 6'3" and hear your pain. Even my stock seats without risers could be lower for my liking. If they were any higher I would have a real problem. Even now I have to crane my neck down to see a streetlight.

I went from 97-02 seats to 03-06 seats in my '99. (The early ones being the tear drop shape. The later ones being the more modern square seats you see in later Jeeps.) The later ones are supposed to be shorter. But my early ones were so old and worn out. That when I switched to the later seats it actually made me sit higher.

But anyway, as long as your '99 stock seats (if that is what you have) are in good shape - switching to the later seats may gain you some more clearance. As the late seats are supposed to be shorter than the early ones. And the later seats with there brackets are a direct bolt on to your early stage Jeep. So if you wanted to switch to 03-06 square seats you could easily. They also look better IMHO. Check www.car-parts.com for seats. That's like the national clearinghouse for junkyards nationwide.
Thanks MOAB I’ll keep that in mind when I go to change out my seats.

What's wrong with an aluminum spacer?

Nothing at all. I was just telling him to sell them. Because he's 6 feet tall and couldn't figure out why he was sitting so high in the seat of his new Jeep. (Earlier in the thread.) I actually praise them in that I think they are probably the better ones made. And probably worth it to sell them. Even though they're a 20 dollar part. I think they're probably worth a good bit more than the plastic ones.

Reactions: Hound Dog
Nothing at all. I was just telling him to sell them. Because he's 6 feet tall and couldn't figure out why he was sitting so high in the seat of his new Jeep. (Earlier in the thread.) I actually praise them in that I think they are probably the better ones made. And probably worth it to sell them. Even though they're a 20 dollar part. I think they're probably worth a good bit more than the plastic ones.
I understand. I have the relocation brackets myself. I am also 6 feet but have a bit extra in front too. I don't feel the need to raise up but to move back. The relocation brackets do just that. Extra leg room and belly room without sacraficing head room. I have never had the back seat in so it does not bother me to move back more.

Reactions: philski