Cleaning axle surface rust

Jeffreybomb

Póg mo thóin!
Supporting Member
I'm currently on the hunt for some axles. Pretty much everything I've seen has surface rust to some extent. I've read about sandblasting; it sounds like that's a good option to go with as far as getting the axles cleaned up.

I know it's a pretty messy process. Is there anything I should be aware of when I drop off a set of axles? Should the sandblasting company know how to clean them off without causing future problems when I get the axles together? Do I need to strip the axles down of the components I plan to eventually replace, or is it a better idea to leave them in as protection to the interior?

I just had mine chemical dipped and sand blasted. I kept the cover on and the shop taped the ball joint surfaces as well as both axle bushing surfaces and pinion. I would mention it whomever you take it too just to be on the safe side
20191220_122003.jpg
20191221_114217.jpg

I should note, these guys do a lot of auto work so they knew that the surfaces needed to be covered. I'd ask them about it and if your still unsure tape them up yourself. For $40, it saved me a ton of time.

20191223_183506.jpg

Reactions: matkal
On some level any gaps in paint will rust the first time in the rain. So don't take some surface rust too seriously.

If it's not horrible a weekend with a wire brush and a can of paint will take care of it.

On some level any gaps in paint will rust the first time in the rain. So don't take some surface rust too seriously.

If it's not horrible a weekend with a wire brush and a can of paint will take care of it.
I agree. I have an axle sitting out in my personal junk yard that I cleaned up and painted with POR15 about 5 years ago. It's been sitting outside all this time and it looks the same as the day I painted it.

Even a cheap sand blaster using a gravity feed bucket will do a fine job. The key is to use the right kind of sand (or other media) for the job. You'll need a good sized compressor. If it has wheels it's too small. Other than that, masking is key. Very hard to screw up an axle. Good learning for when you need to work on more delicate items.

On the other hand, for a DIY job, POR15 works well. Use their system and coat it with the black, top coat with whatever color you want in their line. Works and looks great, no media blast required.