Clunking noise and axle shift

Cookie

I have a 2006 TJ that I put a 4.25 lift on it about a year ago and just the other day I was taking a turn and it almost felt like the back axle shifted left to right then it made a loud clunking noise. It's only when I hit the gas wile turning...not a hard turn just like pulling out the drive way. Someone please help I recently purchased a SYE kit for my tj but not installed yet was wondering if any one has this problem. I look underneath and nothing was broken everything was tight I have the stock control arms in right now but plan to put those in with the SYE kit.....thanks for all input

What rear differential do you have? If it’s a Dana 35, I’d remove the rear cover and inspect the spider gears.

Reactions: D M
Are you on stock control arms? I know mine are the source of my sounds because the bushings are shot from being on 3" of lift for who knows how long

I have a 2006 TJ that I put a 4.25 lift on it about a year ago and just the other day I was taking a turn and it almost felt like the back axle shifted left to right then it made a loud clunking noise. It's only when I hit the gas wile turning...not a hard turn just like pulling out the drive way. Someone please help I recently purchased a SYE kit for my tj but not installed yet was wondering if any one has this problem. I look underneath and nothing was broken everything was tight I have the stock control arms in right now but plan to put those in with the SYE kit.....thanks for all input
My axels shift about 1/8" in and out on my Dana 35, totally normal. Mine makes a hollow clunk sound from time to time, mostly notice it offroad or when turning. Block the front tires and lift up the rear end, release the parking brake and pull the wheel in and out. You will likely hear the exact same sound. They move a lot more than I would have ever expected. You can also check the track bar bushings and bolts.

My axels shift about 1/8" in and out on my Dana 35, totally normal. Mine makes a hollow clunk sound from time to time, mostly notice it offroad or when turning. Block the front tires and lift up the rear end, release the parking brake and pull the wheel in and out. You will likely hear the exact same sound. They move a lot more than I would have ever expected. You can also check the track bar bushings and bolts.
The track bar seems solid I jacked up the back andit all seemed pretty tight and solid....its a VERY NOTICEABLE clunk and jerk it almost like shocking when u first hear it hoping the control arms fix the problem

That's definitely a common trait of the Dana 35.

Rejoice! It sounds like it is time to spend more money on your Jeep. Build the differential, install the SYE and drive shaft, add some adjustable control arms and track bar, but wait, there is more. If you act now, you will also receive this one time opportunity to tuck up the transfer case and install those lower gears all of your neighbors have. Sorry, no Ginsu knives.

Maybe unrelated, what brand lift did you install? did it have adjustable control arms? 4.25" of spring lift is a lot to go without changing the pinion angle to match the output shaft.

Rejoice! It sounds like it is time to spend more money on your Jeep. Build the differential, install the SYE and drive shaft, add some adjustable control arms and track bar, but wait, there is more. If you act now, you will also receive this one time opportunity to tuck up the transfer case and install those lower gears all of your neighbors have. Sorry, no Ginsu knives.
I think ur right haha

I had a similar problem. It turned out to be the OME track bar relocation bracket. The bolts were tight but not tight enough and it would shift slightly when under load.