Clutch recommendations and tips?

Brittany

Hey guys my clutch is starting to go. I was wondering if there were any good brands I should go with, my jeep does have slightly bigger tires on it. Also I wanted to know if anyone has used a south bend or had any opinions in it. Also if there were any tips for doing it yourself to make it easier, as I may end up doing it myself to save some money.

Reactions: Steel City 06
Go for this Luk kit, it's a superior quality product that the factory used as the TJ's OE clutch. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CICYZ4/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Lunk also has a 'Gold' version which is really meant more for a truck, it is said to be noisier, and is not the version I'd run.

This is a bolt-in job, there's not much to it. Just know that there's usually no reason to have to replace the flywheel unless it is physically damaged. Also, don't have the surface of the flywheel resurfaced or refinished. The TJ's flywheel has a domed surface that would be removed if it was resurfaced. At the most, if it has any glazing on its surface, just remove it with a mild grade of sandpaper or emery cloth.

This is a bolt-in job, there's not much to it. Just know that there's usually no reason to have to replace the flywheel unless it is physically damaged. Also, don't have the surface of the flywheel resurfaced or refinished. The TJ's flywheel has a domed surface that would be removed if it was resurfaced. At the most, if it has any glazing on its surface, just remove it with a mild grade of sandpaper or emery cloth.

Slightly off-topic, but what's your opinion on high-inertia flywheels, like the centerforce one? I may be preemptively replacing the clutch soon and it would be a good time to install something like this:

https://www.quadratec.com/p/centerforce/high-inertia-flywheel-jeep-wrangler-tj-40lhttp://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/t...vier-flywheel-make-your-jeep-easier-to-drive/

Slightly off-topic, but what's your opinion on high-inertia flywheels, like the centerforce one? I may be preemptively replacing the clutch soon and it would be a good time to install something like this:
My opinion is they're a waste of $$$. They can help in some situations with the four-banger but that's about it. I'm no fan of Centerforce's hype and especially their clutches for the TJ. They're a good choice for high HP hotrods but their designs aren't applicable or of benefit to our low revving Jeep engines.

Reactions: Steel City 06
I’m considering the centerforce high inertia flywheel as well right now for my 06 LJ. Anyone have have any actual usage or experience with it?

I’m considering the centerforce high inertia flywheel as well right now for my 06 LJ. Anyone have have any actual usage or experience with it?
Yes, I have a high inertia flywheel in two different 4.0L powered vehicles, a '97 TJ-based buggy and an '84 Jeep CJ-7. I found it to be a beneficial upgrade in both vehicles. I was skeptical at first because I had used one in a 22RE-powered Toyota years ago and really didn't like it; that engine was slow to rev and I didn't really feel there was any benefit. I was convinced to give it a try in my CJ-7 after I had to pull the tranny a few thousand miles after my 4.0L conversion because of a mistake I made. I must say I really like it with the 4.0L. There's no perceptible change in how the engine revs, yet it doesn't bog or stall as easy. I can pull away from a light without stepping on the accelerator a little, and the additional intertia helps in slow-speed off-road stuff as well. It worked so well I put one in my buggy when I had to change the AX-15 in it.

My opinion is they're a waste of $$$. They can help in some situations with the four-banger but that's about it. I'm no fan of Centerforce's hype and especially their clutches for the TJ. They're a good choice for high HP hotrods but their designs aren't applicable or of benefit to our low revving Jeep engines.
Got any practical experience to back up that opinion or just what you've read on the internet? I've had Centerforce clutches in multiple off-road rigs and Jeeps in particular, and in my (informed) opinion they are a definite imporvement, just like any other quality performance clutch on the market. A Luk clutch is adequate for OE applications, but when you get into bigger tires, lower gearing, and hard use, why wouldn't you upgrade a clutch just like anything else? If you break an axleshaft, do you install a stock replacement or opt for a chromoly upgrade? Sure it's more money, but just like any other proven upgrade it's money well spent. It's also unfortunate that someone urging people to buy American in their sig is recommending a clutch manufactured overseas.

Reactions: Blondie70
I've had Centerforce clutches in multiple off-road rigs and Jeeps in particular, and in my (informed) opinion they are a definite imporvement, just like any other quality performance clutch on the market. A Luk clutch is adequate for OE applications, but when you get into bigger tires, lower gearing, and hard use, why wouldn't you upgrade a clutch just like anything else?
Pretty confrontational for your first post. No I just don't know WTF I'm talking about when daring to suggest the OE Luk clutch isn't up to hard use, lower gears, larger tires, etc. Actually I do, and the OE Luk clutch is VERY well known for standing up to such uses. I'm one who pushed his Luk clutch to the point it smoked on most of the rock crawling trails my TJ was on with fair frequency. On the TJ in the below photo, which was my previous (stolen) TJ, it was running 4.88 gears and 35" tires. It was a rock crawler. As in the below pic, I was regularly smoking the clutch due to the extreme terrain and even when I replaced the clutch at 162k miles as a precaution before doing Sledgehammer in Johnson Valley, it still had a lot of life on it. So much so I regretted changing it so soon. The Jeep was running Superior Evolution 4340 shafts in the rear and lots of upgrades but the Luk clutch? Nope, it handles such wheeling without problem.

Regularly being smoked on trails like this and not failing is a pretty good testament to the ability of the Luk to hold up. In fact the OE Luk with 162k miles got replaced with another Luk... at 1/3 the cost of a Centerforce. And actually, in 23 years of TJ ownership and active participation in the major Jeep forums, I do believe you're the first to push a Centerforce clutch. Centerforce clutches are great for some applications but IMHO and many others, their added cost just isn't warranted given the $80 Luk's widespread reputation for holding up just fine. In even very difficult wheeling uses.

SmokingClutch.jpg

CalicoTippedOver.jpg

Yes, I have a high inertia flywheel in two different 4.0L powered vehicles, a '97 TJ-based buggy and an '84 Jeep CJ-7. I found it to be a beneficial upgrade in both vehicles. I was skeptical at first because I had used one in a 22RE-powered Toyota years ago and really didn't like it; that engine was slow to rev and I didn't really feel there was any benefit. I was convinced to give it a try in my CJ-7 after I had to pull the tranny a few thousand miles after my 4.0L conversion because of a mistake I made. I must say I really like it with the 4.0L. There's no perceptible change in how the engine revs, yet it doesn't bog or stall as easy. I can pull away from a light without stepping on the accelerator a little, and the additional intertia helps in slow-speed off-road stuff as well. It worked so well I put one in my buggy when I had to change the AX-15 in it.
Thanks for the input! Nice to hear some first hand experience on it.

Reactions: orangecrushed
Pretty confrontational for your first post. No I just don't know WTF I'm talking about when daring to suggest the OE Luk clutch isn't up to hard use, lower gears, larger tires, etc. Actually I do, and the OE Luk clutch is VERY well known for standing up to such uses. I'm one who pushed his Luk clutch to the point it smoked on most of the rock crawling trails my TJ was on with fair frequency. On the TJ in the below photo, which was my previous (stolen) TJ, it was running 4.88 gears and 35" tires. It was a rock crawler. As in the below pic, I was regularly smoking the clutch due to the extreme terrain and even when I replaced the clutch at 162k miles as a precaution before doing Sledgehammer in Johnson Valley, it still had a lot of life on it. So much so I regretted changing it so soon. The Jeep was running Superior Evolution 4340 shafts in the rear and lots of upgrades but the Luk clutch? Nope, it handles such wheeling without problem.

Regularly being smoked on trails like this and not failing is a pretty good testament to the ability of the Luk to hold up. In fact the OE Luk with 162k miles got replaced with another Luk... at 1/3 the cost of a Centerforce. And actually, in 23 years of TJ ownership and active participation in the major Jeep forums, I do believe you're the first to push a Centerforce clutch. Centerforce clutches are great for some applications but IMHO and many others, their added cost just isn't warranted given the $80 Luk's widespread reputation for holding up just fine. In even very difficult wheeling uses.

View attachment 96603

View attachment 96604

If by "confrontational" you mean calling into question an opinion that is posited as fact, then guilty as charged.

So then by your very own admission, you in fact have absolutely no personal experience with either a Centerforce clutch or a high inertia flywheel, hence your opinion is uninformed and based on nothing more what you believe or (more likely) have read elsewhere. Thanks for proving my point.

Did I ever say Luk clutches were bad? Nope. I've had and used several of them on and off the pavement. They're actually quite good. But based on my real world experiences (as opposed to conjecture) off-roading in general and with Jeeps in particular, I have found there are several advantages to utilizing a performance clutch and / or a high inertia flywheel (regardless of the brand) over stock components particularly when subjected to hard use, gearing, tires, etc. etc. Again, that's not to say a Luk or some other brand can't do the job, I'm simply saying that a performance clutch can do it better and longer. In most cases, you actually do get what you pay for. As I have actual real-world experience with both clutches mentioned, I felt I could supply some practical insight on the subject while perhaps dispelling potential misinformation.

Don't assume that a low post count equates to a lack of experience, no more than I assume that a high post count equates to any kind of knowledge or expertise. Cheers.

Again, that's not to say a Luk or some other brand can't do the job
Exactly, and at 1/3 the price of a Centerforce. I've proven my case that the OE Luk holds up just fine to low ratios, big tires, and tough wheeling environments where you claimed a Centerforce was needed. There are way too many of us who either did or do run Luk clutches successfully in the very same environments where you claim a Centerforce is needed. 162k miles with lots of extremely tough trails with still plenty of life on it... on an $80 Luk. Enough said. I have spent far more than than 3X the cost for some items where more strength/reliability/performance was required... axle shafts, gears, u-joints, transmission coolers, etc. was needed. Just not on a clutch since mine held up just fine. But if you want to pay 3X for a Centerforce, be my guest. See how many Centerforce recommendations you see here vs. Luk. I think you'll find just one.... yours. :)

Exactly, and at 1/3 the price of a Centerforce. I've proven my case that the OE Luk holds up just fine to low ratios, big tires, and tough wheeling environments where you claimed a Centerforce was needed. There are way too many of us who either did or do run Luk clutches successfully in the very same environments where you claim a Centerforce is needed. 162k miles with lots of extremely tough trails with still plenty of life on it... on an $80 Luk. Enough said. I have spent far more than than 3X the cost for some items where more strength/reliability/performance was required... axle shafts, gears, u-joints, transmission coolers, etc. was needed. Just not on a clutch since mine held up just fine. But if you want to pay 3X for a Centerforce, be my guest. See how many Centerforce recommendations you see here vs. Luk. I think you'll find just one.... yours. :)

:rolleyes: Way to take only part of a comment out of context and then claim that it makes your point. It would be nice if you'd just admit that you have absolutely no practical or personal experience with the very products you choose to bad-mouth, but apparently that must take a backseat to citing vague and made-up statistics defending a cheap imported product while at the same time urging people to buy American. At the end of the day, my opinion is based on practical experience with ALL of the products in question, while yours is with just one. This is yet another textbook example of why you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet and forums in particular. Cheers.

If I may ... what I am hearing is this ... yes, the high zoot clutch is better than the stock clutch. That would be expected. BUT ... the stock clutch will stand up to the needs of most any TJ owner making the investment in the high end parts unnecessary. Can we all agree on that?🤗

Thank you for the quick responses. Is there a “kit” with throw out bearing and flywheel?
I purchased my TJ in December with 164,000 on it and the seller did not know much about it. Before I go out on a trail I would like to have it “ready”.
Thoughts?

Thank you for the quick responses. Is there a “kit” with throw out bearing and flywheel?
I purchased my TJ in December with 164,000 on it and the seller did not know much about it. Before I go out on a trail I would like to have it “ready”.
Thoughts?
The Luk kit includes a throwout bearing and you very likely do NOT need a new flywheel. Some think the flywheel should be replaced whenever the clutch disk is replaced but that's just not true unless you see obvious damage on the flywheel. My flywheel still looked like new when I replaced my clutch, they rarely need replacing.

About the only thing not included in that kit that I'd recommend would be a different throwout bearing than what is included. I'd go with either a https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BZ6XV4/?tag=wranglerorg-20 or a https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BZIQ4Q/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I didn't used to have a problem with the throwout bearing in Luk's kit but I recently saw a few posts showing it not holding up as well as expected. So I would just add either of the two TOB's to Luks otherwise great quality kit and be done with it. I would not buy a new flywheel unless, again, yours is actually damaged which would be very rare.

Last edited:
The TJ uses a special flywheel that has a slight dish shape to the surface to help with smoother clutch engagement. A replacement flywheel is doubtful to have this feature. Just hit the flywheel with some course (60 grit) sandpaper to break up any glazing on the surface and you are ready to reassemble.

Reactions: Painfultruth