Coil springs bump stop

Whoever was reading this here just please don't be like me and throw a 2" bump stop extension on a 2" RC leveling kit. Looking forward to throwing my Rancho 2.5 lift on next week and getting around to taking care of this.
5364b5031bd861b9d327a6bc3d6cefe3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whoever was reading this here just please don't be like me and throw a 2" bump stop extension on a 2" RC leveling kit. Looking forward to throwing my Rancho 2.5 lift on next week and getting around to taking care of this. View attachment 49113

@jjvw has alot of knowledge about suspension man. Guy is like an encyclopedia. Except your gonna earn it lol. Because there's no shortcuts. And it's not that simple.

@jjvw has alot of knowledge about suspension man. Guy is like an encyclopedia. Except your gonna earn it lol. Because there's no shortcuts. And it's not that simple.

Yeah man I just look at it sometimes when I cleaned my under body or just hanging around I get mad at myself for doing it!! But I did this leveling kit when I was an extreme noobie and when I never did work on a car like that and just was going buy instructions and a bunch of YouTube videos but I've done honestly a lot of research over this subject lately such as shock extensions spring rates brake / diff fluid lines and sways yata yata before purchasing all the parts to the combo

Reactions: Matt77
Yeah man I just look at it sometimes when I cleaned my under body or just hanging around I get mad at myself for doing it!! But I did this leveling kit when I was an extreme noobie and when I never did work on a car like that and just was going buy instructions and a bunch of YouTube videos but I've done honestly a lot of research over this subject lately such as shock extensions spring rates brake / diff fluid lines and sways yata yata before purchasing all the parts to the combo

Well you know alot more than me I've been researching how to fix coil springs for a week now watching youtube videos and talking to guys on here. My front drivers side coil spring slipped off the pad and is sitting on the axel now. And all my joust bumpers are rotted. Have to lower the front axle replace track bar. Never done any of this before. Lol I'm glad someone before me put the 3.5" lift on. You kinda gotta be a mad scientist to figure it allc out. I like my jeep but I'm a fisherman not a rock crawler. Lol but those rock crawler guys know alot about suspension lol. And I'm not sure what you were talking about in your picture above.

@Nicholas I'm not sure what you mean by shock extensions? Did you mean bump stop extensions? Bc I can see the extension on the tower for your top bump stop. Mines set up just like that too.

Well you know alot more than me I've been researching how to fix coil springs for a week now watching youtube videos and talking to guys on here. My front drivers side coil spring slipped off the pad and is sitting on the axel now. And all my joust bumpers are rotted. Have to lower the front axle replace track bar. Never done any of this before. Lol I'm glad someone before me put the 3.5" lift on. You kinda gotta be a mad scientist to figure it allc out. I like my jeep but I'm a fisherman not a rock crawler. Lol but those rock crawler guys know alot about suspension lol. And I'm not sure what you were talking about in your picture above.

Man that's rough. And glad your figuring it out at least. Above I just meant my bump stop extensions are way too long and shouldn't have ordered them at all honestly with the spacer lift, limits my travel up front so much and sometimes I think I feel it in the daily ride comfort

Man that's rough. And glad your figuring it out at least. Above I just meant my bump stop extensions are way too long and shouldn't have ordered them at all honestly with the spacer lift, limits my travel up front so much and sometimes I think I feel it in the daily ride comfort

The easiest way that I've seen to guesstimate your bump stops is measure between the top of your front tire and the frame or the fender, which ever is lower. So for example between my top front tire and frame is 8" but between my top front tire and fender is around 6".There is Less clearance with the fender. My bump tower from top of the metal to bottom of joust bumper is 11". I think depending on if joust bumper sticks out 2". But the joust bumper is supposed to compress up inside. If it does than the space is like 6". Long story short the space between your bump stop and and pad should be roughly the same between top of your front tire and fender or frame which ever is lower. Does that make sense?

Don't include the soft jounce when measuring the available up travel. Always measure between the steel cup and the steel axle pad.

Reactions: Matt77 and Nicholas
The easiest way that I've seen to guesstimate your bump stops is measure between the top of your front tire and the frame or the fender, which ever is lower. So for example between my top front tire and frame is 8" but between my top front tire and fender is around 6".There is Less clearance with the fender. My bump tower from top of the metal to bottom of joust bumper is 11". I think depending on if joust bumper sticks out 2". But the joust bumper is supposed to compress up inside. If it does than the space is like 6". Long story short the space between your bump stop and and pad should be roughly the same between top of your front tire and fender or frame which ever is lower. Does that make sense?
Yes it does it's just a lot to take in but with bump stops there is never any over analyzing with a good guess, I guess. It also helps relating to another's similar set up that you could just follow in the same direction if you wanted to

Yes it does it's just a lot to take in but with bump stops there is never any over analyzing with a good guess, I guess. It also helps relating to another's similar set up that you could just follow in the same direction if you wanted to

You don't need it. If you want unnecessary crap on your Jeep, buy a small light bar. :)
Hmmm... so I'm a 3.5" spring lift and like 1" body lift puts me at 4.5". I'd guess I'd go with the 3" to 5" shocks??? Does the 1" body lift affect the spring length? :hollering:

Hmmm... so I'm a 3.5" spring lift and like 1" body lift puts me at 4.5". I'd guess I'd go with the 3" to 5" shocks???

Remember that part about measuring for the compressed and extended lengths of your shock mounts?

Does the 1" body lift affect the spring length? :hollering:

No. The springs to not know or care if there is a body lift. A body lift will make room for the tires to not hit the body, possibly allowing for less bump stop extension.

When you cycle the suspension and stuff one of the front tires as high as it will go into the wheel opening, imagine what would be happening if the body was lower.

Remember that part about measuring for the compressed and extended lengths of your shock mounts?

No. The springs to not know or care if there is a body lift. A body lift will make room for the tires to not hit the body, possibly allowing for less bump stop extension.

When you cycle the suspension and stuff one of the front tires as high as it will go into the wheel opening, imagine what would be happening if the body was lower.
What I ment to say was does 1" body lift affect the shock length?

What I ment to say was does 1" body lift affect the shock length?
The body lift will allow for less bump stop to keep the front tires out of the sheet metal. This can have an influence on the optimal length of the front shock.

The rear will always bottom out on the shock before the tires hit the body, so the body lift won't have much influence.

The body lift will allow for less bump stop to keep the front tires out of the sheet metal. This can have an influence on the optimal length of the front shock.

The rear will always bottom out on the shock before the tires hit the body, so the body lift won't have much influence.
I'll bet you have a lot invested in your suspension? How does yours compare to mine?