Control arm questions

Give us a little more insight into your shake/wobble. Is it at a certain speed, or maybe after hitting bumps? How is your alignment and steering components?
Sometimes something as simple as a tire being out of balance can cause wobbles.

Sorry for the late follow-up, like i said bought the jeep about 2 months ago , I replaced wheel bearings, installed RC tie rod and new ends , new drag link, steering stabilizer, 2 weeks ago. Bought new tires and got them balanced at discount tire a week ago , today I installed 4 new RC lower control arms and RC adjustable trac bar as Jeep previously had the stock trac barn installed, drove after the control arms and trac bar insatll and still shaking but obviously very out of alignment, i will take it for alignment tomorrow, hopefully it will help but i dont have my hopes up as the shaking was completely still there. Shaking starts as about 65mph

20200511_183844.jpg

Here is a picture of what it looks like

There is a good thread on aligning a TJ, surprising easy and as accurate as taking to a shop. If you did any of the work under there, you will have no problems...

And welcome to the forum! These guys know what they are talking about. Most of them anyway, I post memes.

I wouldn't necessarily trust Discount Tires balance job. I had to go back three times when I got my Mud Terrains.

They broke every TPMS in my mother's minivan when I got tires for her. Then tried to sell me new ones at $89 a piece. Plus dismount plus mount plus balance. After lawyer got them to do their job and only charge $59 each 3 wouldn't hold air and 1 (new) tpms didn't work. I would never give them a penny again. They are thieves, even worse they are incompetent thieves.🤬🤬🤬

So can one go back and get it rebalanced for free ? I do think they did a good job
Yes, it's been my experience that if you're not convinced the balance job is correct, Discount will take another look at it for free.

They broke every TPMS in my mother's minivan when I got tires for her. Then tried to sell me new ones at $89 a piece. Plus dismount plus mount plus balance. After lawyer got them to do their job and only charge $59 each 3 wouldn't hold air and 1 (new) tpms didn't work. I would never give them a penny again. They are thieves, even worse they are incompetent thieves.🤬🤬🤬
That sucks, I've had really good luck with Discount Tire, been using them exclusively for 15 years. As far as the TPMS go, I'd say the automakers are partially to blame for using poor quality materials that are known to disintegrate in a short time. Been there, I feel for ya.

Last edited:
So can one go back and get it rebalanced for free ? I do think they did a good job
Yes, you can take it back. Stress that TJ’s with bigger tires are extremely tricky about balance, and it needs to be perfect, not just good enough. Make sure you tell this to the tech who is doing the balancing.

FWIW, if it was a tire balance issue, I would expect it around 40-50mph and not 65.

I would get under my rig and make sure the suspension bolts are torqued you spec.

I would also align it myself via the link above.

So I think my right upper control arm is bad. When I press the break, I hear a knocking noise from the right side. Also, around 50 mph I have slight steering vibrations. A little while ago I replaced the sway bar links, track bar, tie rods, and a steering dampener. Any suggestions on how to check or even which type to put on instead of stock?
In like a year I want to put a lift on it, 2.5-4 inch.

The reason I replaced all the parts was because I had death wobble. A few of the ball joints were really loose and had too much play. When I replaced all of them, I took my Jeep and had an alignment and my tires rotated.

I would check the drive shafts and make sure all the u joints are good, also check and see if they're seated in the yokes right and haven't come loose.

Since you're running RC, I would also check with them on some upper adjustable control arms, for the rear at least to get your pinion angle dialed in. There's a few threads on here that show how to check that. You pretty much can eyeball the angle or post a pic of you drive shafts and these guys can tell you if you're way out or not.