Cool tools

Wow this is awesome!!! Would love to see it in action with a video after overhaul. Are you putting a new motor in?
I was planning on it, but I've since sold it and upgraded.

This is my Oerlikon UB 2, portable boring machine, that is if you have a 2 ton crane on your ceiling. It's like a radial arm drill, boring machine, and mill all in one. 8 spindle speeds from 25-2500, all gear driven with 1.2hp at the lowest speed, so lots of torque. Power down feed in three feed rates, Morse 3 spindle with a drawbar. The head swivels 360 with 3 quick detent locks in vertical down and horizontal. It swivels 360* about the vertical column, raises up and down and the horizontal column slides forward and back.

I've got a 13" travel troyke 2 axis coordinate table I'm going to use for small milling. Some models even had a second T-slot table mounted on the side at 90* to the top one. I've got a 300lb 10" Kurt vise I might use with it too.

Haven't got it running yet, have to figure out how to get the motor out of the back column, think I need to pull the head off to get at whatever is securing it. It's made in Switzerland so I expect it to be pretty complicated inside

IMG_20210628_154159318.jpg
IMG_20210628_144551229.jpg
IMG_20210728_134526702.jpg

This is my Oerlikon UB 2, portable boring machine, that is if you have a 2 ton crane on your ceiling. It's like a radial arm drill, boring machine, and mill all in one. 8 spindle speeds from 25-2500, all gear driven with 1.2hp at the lowest speed, so lots of torque. Power down feed in three feed rates, Morse 3 spindle with a drawbar. The head swivels 360 with 3 quick detent locks in vertical down and horizontal. It swivels 360* about the vertical column, raises up and down and the horizontal column slides forward and back.

I've got a 13" travel troyke 2 axis coordinate table I'm going to use for small milling. Some models even had a second T-slot table mounted on the side at 90* to the top one. I've got a 300lb 10" Kurt vise I might use with it too.

Haven't got it running yet, have to figure out how to get the motor out of the back column, think I need to pull the head off to get at whatever is securing it. It's made in Switzerland so I expect it to be pretty complicated inside

View attachment 309675View attachment 309676View attachment 309674
That's a really cool machine. What the heck do you do for parts? I'm refurbishing a grizzly drill press right now but they have the full parts catalog online and it's super easy.

That's a really cool machine. What the heck do you do for parts? I'm refurbishing a grizzly drill press right now but they have the full parts catalog online and it's super easy.
Just gotta make them myself. It's easier if you buy more common machines, but somehow I always end up with the weird stuff from foreign countries or companies that went out of business decades ago.

I'm a CNC machinist though, and my company is really awesome about letting us make whatever we want as long as you don't screw up normal production. I've got a turret lathe too with about 50+ moving parts in the turret. Had to make some new parts for it and figure out how it all went together

The turret and a little flipper thingy, yes that's a technical term for it, that I made for it on a 4 axis lathe I run

IMG_20210305_153012003.jpg
IMG_20210307_203047877.jpg

Just gotta make them myself. It's easier if you buy more common machines, but somehow I always end up with the weird stuff from foreign countries or companies that went out of business decades ago.

I'm a CNC machinist though, and my company is really awesome about letting us make whatever we want as long as you don't screw up normal production. I've got a turret lathe too with about 50+ moving parts in the turret. Had to make some new parts for it and figure out how it all went together

The turret and a little flipper thingy, yes that's a technical term for it, that I made for it on a 4 axis lathe I run

View attachment 309691View attachment 309693
My first lathe job was a WWII era turret lathe. Had a four speed manual trans connected to it. Awesome project!

My first lathe job was a WWII era turret lathe. Had a four speed manual trans connected to it. Awesome project!
Yeah, I've been wanting to play with the big turret lathes, but I don't need a third lathe, yet...

Mine is similar to the hardinge DV59, but mine was made by a company named Rivett. Out of business and nearly zero helpful info online or anywhere about this particular lathe. Was funny though, I picked up a tool off craigslist the other day, and the guy wanted to show me something else. Went into his shop and he had the exact same lathe, what are the odds lol. Though his had a two speed motor with the high speed option. Thought mine was fast at 3700 rpm, his would go all the way to 10,000!

• Wow
Reactions: NashvilleTJ and WSS
Yeah, I've been wanting to play with the big turret lathes, but I don't need a third lathe, yet...

Mine is similar to the hardinge DV59, but mine was made by a company named Rivett. Out of business and nearly zero helpful info online or anywhere about this particular lathe. Was funny though, I picked up a tool off craigslist the other day, and the guy wanted to show me something else. Went into his shop and he had the exact same lathe, what are the odds lol. Though his had a two speed motor with the high speed option. Thought mine was fast at 3700 rpm, his would go all the way to 10,000!
The old one I ran as a 2 or 3 Jones/Lamson. It was all boring and I was not allowed to set it up. Just run the parts dammit. Lol

View attachment 309675View attachment 309676View attachment 309674
You need one of those “little joe” lifts in your shop. Just that vise alone could use it. Duh. Big joe. Lol

Check out this item on OfferUp. https://offerup.co/O4WLjqKmEnb

You need one of those “little joe” lifts in your shop. Just that vise alone could use it.
Yeah, when I move into something more permanent and bigger I'd like to get a nice jib crane, or build a roll around gantry with a chain hoist. I get by with the harbor freight cherry picker, but getting the Oerlikon out of the back of my U-Haul truck was really sketchy lol

Yeah, when I move into something more permanent and bigger I'd like to get a nice jib crane, or build a roll around gantry with a chain hoist. I get by with the harbor freight cherry picker, but getting the Oerlikon out of the back of my U-Haul truck was really sketchy lol
Haha. Ya that’s some heavy stuff. I bought a 2300lb Komatsu lift about 5 years ago (for $2k!!) small enough to get in the garage, etc. the trans started slipping in forward so I was going to get another. They are freaking $10k now used! I opted to rebuild the trans. Now it should last a lifetime.

I use the crap out of it. It loads my rigid bed mill, plasma table, moves small parts etc. I have a 6k lift for the main shop. Thus one is kinda my personal lift.