Coolant leak from A/C drain?

JHunt012

1999 TJ 4.0 Sport:

I've recently started leaking coolant from my condensation drain at the passenger side of firewall. For now my heater still works (I think I can smell coolant) but the leak is happening even when I have heat and air turned off. I am thinking heater core but nothing is dripping on passenger side floorboard. Hoping to get some advice before I take it in and have it checked out. Thanks!

Jim

Heater core. A lot of the recommended replacements have been on backorder for some time now. Performance radiator is one I am waiting to come back in stock.

It's not leaking from an overflow. It's leaking because it has a hole in it. Flushing will do no good. Stop leaks are iffy. They are designed to stop up small holes which could also stop up the small passages that coolant needs to get through.

Reactions: Artsifrtsi
It's not leaking from an overflow. It's leaking because it has a hole in it. Flushing will do no good. Stop leaks are iffy. They are designed to stop up small holes which could also stop up the small passages that coolant needs to get through.
Could also flush out corrosion/contaminates that are keeping a weep from being a gush. Best to flush it when ready to replace.

if yours is the original take it to a radiator repair shop before replacing it so you dont have to deal with the lack of heat issue.

Thanks!
Could flushing it out help, or it needs to be replaced?
I would repair it or replace it. If it's an original heater core from your 99 they were copper/brass and can be repaired. Performance radiator has your year in stock though for $78. That brand is often recommended here and local radiator shops around me. It's quite a process to replace it though so read up unless you plan to take it somewhere.

https://shop.performanceradiator.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=1_22310_22822_22856_22858

Heater core is b

Heater core. A lot of the recommended replacements have been on backorder for some time now. Performance radiator is one I am waiting to come back in s

1999 TJ 4.0 Sport:

I've recently started leaking coolant from my condensation drain at the passenger side of firewall. For now my heater still works (I think I can smell coolant) but the leak is happening even when I have heat and air turned off. I am thinking heater core but nothing is dripping on passenger side floorboard. Hoping to get some advice before I take it in and have it checked out. Thanks!

Jim
Thanks everybody! A local respected radiator shop will replace it with the heater from performance radiator for about $750. Does this sound reasonable? I am not going to do it by myself.

This case is very close ,if not, plug and play for a regular 231 swap. I would spend that but some like the idea of not having to make any modifications.

• Haha
Reactions: Artsifrtsi
Thanks everybody! A local respected radiator shop will replace it with the heater from performance radiator for about $750. Does this sound reasonable? I am not going to do it by myself.
if you can, i would keep the original. i keep a big plastic storage bin with parts like that JUST IN CASE ! hell if not you might even be able to sell/ give it to someone on here who is going through the lack of heat from a replacement core, that could have it fixed.

I just bought a 02' TJ and only after about five days of ownership it overheated on me driving to work this morning. First thing I noticed when I pulled over was liquid pouring out from where the A/C drain line is... I had my neighbor bring me coolant (2 gallons) and the radiator took about a gallon and half, while the rest went into the overflow. After reading this I have the feeling I'm going to be pulling the dash for my first project.

I just bought a 02' TJ and only after about five days of ownership it overheated on me driving to work this morning. First thing I noticed when I pulled over was liquid pouring out from where the A/C drain line is... I had my neighbor bring me coolant (2 gallons) and the radiator took about a gallon and half, while the rest went into the overflow. After reading this I have the feeling I'm going to be pulling the dash for my first project.
That'll be a weekend job...

Zip lock bags and sharpie to mark where all the bolts go. You also don't have to pull the column