Cooling system pressure tester adapter

ayelix

I'm trying to track down a very slow coolant leak so I got a pressure tester loaner from AutoZone (Powerbuilt Loaner Pressure Tester Adapters, part 940427T, link). Like some of the reviews warned, it doesn't have an adapter that fits my MOPAR radiator. The closest universal adapter popped out on me 3 times and sprayed coolant all over, so I gave up on it for now.

Anyone know how to find an adapter for the MOPAR radiator that'll work with that tester? I did some searching and found one adapter but it looks like it might be for testing the cap, not the radiator: Stant 12552. I'm not sure what to look for to identify the right adapter even if I find it.

2002 4.0 5-speed

Just throwing out thoughts here...

How about one of those "prestone" system flushing T's that you cut into your heater hose? Then you can use a regular hose bib gauge. Granted, the gauge may be the wrong scale for the jeep (something like 0-100 vs a preferable 0-20) but you could change the gauge.

Don't buy Harbor Freight's kit either, bought it and I think I could have tested every radiator ever made except for the factory one in my TJ. Same exact problem as you, the universal adapter isn't even the right size, let alone the standard adapters.

I have the "Mityvac MV4560" and it works on my 2006 Mopar radiator. It is about $43 on Amazon.

Thanks for sharing. The description of that tool gives me a clue - it refers to "bayonet cap" which seems to be the name for the cap style used on the MOPAR radiator. Maybe that will help me find an adapter to use with the loaner tester that might cost less than the MV4560.

Don't buy Harbor Freight's kit either, bought it and I think I could have tested every radiator ever made except for the factory one in my TJ. Same exact problem as you, the universal adapter isn't even the right size, let alone the standard adapters.

I bought it the other day. One of the few things I've been disappointed in from them. Most stuff, I understand its pricepoint and quality. Like I told the guy at the register the other day when I picked up one of their heat guns and he was wondering how they could manufacture, package and ship X for $15 (before coupon), so I said, "It only has to work once, right?" Anyway, got the coolant tester home and opened up the sealed package. Needle on the gauge was off the peg in the gauge. Was able to get it apart and put it back on. It came off before getting the tester ready. Pulled it back apart and put a dab of superglue on it. Then found the clamp for the radiator cap neck on the radiator kept slipping off and releasing the pressure, which did so in a rather rapid fashion, spraying coolant everywhere. Took the clamp and some pliers and bent the hooks a little more so it won't slip off anymore.

Oh well. They all can't be winners.

edit: I did get the system pressurized but did not find my leak, or my source of coolant smell. More investigating required.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cornbread
Sorry to bump an ancient thread, but I wanted to close the loop in case anyone finds this thread in 5 years...

I got the MV4560 kit and it worked like a charm. I didn't have to do anything to improve the seals on the pump hoses like some of the reviews said. It just worked as expected right out of the box.

Thanks!