Cooper Evolution M/T Tires

Thanks for that. Here's the info from the article. Sounds pretty good.

WET/ICE

When compared directly to the Evolution M/T in this category, the STT Pro comes up short. After putting roughly 3,000 miles on the STT Pros’, we really got to know their poor performance on wet/ice roads. We tested the Pros on dark canyon roads where ice patches, snow, and snow run-off were consistent. Pulling out onto these roads really showed the STT Pros’ weakness as the tires broke loose more than a few times. The Pros even manage to break loose a few times when throttling out of sharp corners triggering the slip indicator more than once. If you arent hammering on the skinny pedal, you will be able to control the massive lugs. It really depends on your area but the lack of siping may just be enough for your driving style.

The EVO M/T on the other hand has pulled us through Lake Tahoe’s blacktop winding roads with ease. Not once have I been concerned about these tires breaking loose. Even though they don’t appear to have a ton of siping, the siping on these tires sure does their job. Also, this is a studdable tire so if you wanted to stud the EVOs, you can.

SNOW

Mud terrains are typically not great in the snow. The Evolution M/T, however, performs quite well over the STT Pros. If I had to pick one tire to go snow wheeling with, it would be the EVOs. Every time I have hit the snow with the EVOs, they provide the confidence I need when heading up the hill or coming back down. STT Pros, however, seem to be lacking the confidence the EVOs have. The STTs still got us through a day of wheeling around on the snow when aired down just fine but nowhere near close to the level of performance the EVOs offered.

This was a close one because once the STTs and EVOs are aired down – they both provide great flotation, and performed just fine.

I keep coming back to this one waiting for some solid info on snow/rain performance. How are these things in the wet?

First real trials for me today. Snowy road driving. If you do a lot of snow/Ice driving:

Look elsewhere. Cooper Evo MT are NOT your tire.

To say that I differ with the findings in the article I quoted would be an understatement. This is opinion of course, but an informed one. I'm damn near 50 yrs old. I'm from Chicago. I know a thing or two about winter driving. I know what to expect from a big lug tire on snow and ice. The Evo's are coming up short.

Last edited:
Reactions: FJQue and Byhumba
First real trials for me today. Snowy road driving. If you do a lot of snow/Ice driving:

To say that I differ with the findings in the article I quoted would be an understatement. This is opinion of course, but an informed one. I'm damn near 50 yrs old. I'm from Chicago. I know a thing or two about winter driving. I know what to expect from a big lug tire on snow and ice. The Eco's are coming up short.

I’m not familiar with snow driving or snow tires since we haven’t had snow here in a decade, but don’t the evos come with predrilled holes for spikes? Do you guys actually use features like this or is it a gimmick?

To say that I differ with the findings in the article I quoted would be an understatement. This is opinion of course, but an informed one. I'm damn near 50 yrs old. I'm from Chicago. I know a thing or two about winter driving. I know what to expect from a big lug tire on snow and ice. The Eco's are coming up short.

I will say I put my XJ in a ditch while pulling a boat during a rainy day. I don’t really blame that on the tires, that’s was my fault for over loading and not hooking up the trailer at the correct height. Plus with no ABS, I slid right off the road.

Last edited:
I’m not familiar with snow driving or snow tires since we haven’t had snow here in a decade, but don’t the evos come with predrilled holes for spikes? Do you guys actually use features like this or is it a gimmick?
Yes, the Evos are 'studdable'.

No gimmick. They're called 'studs' in this neck of the woods. And yes, they work very well on ice especially. If I had the coin for 2 sets of tires for one vehicle, studs would be on one set (if I lived where there's a lot of nasty driving). Most states require they be run only certain months of the year.. they'll tear up asphalt.

They actually make removable tire studs as well for big bucks.
https://www.gripstuds.com/1500_Tire_Stud.php

I've used actual "winter" tires before, but IMO they aren't worth running where I'm at because, while it's snowing and 15* today, roads will be dry and temps will be in the 50's in a week...

Up in the Mountains, sure. Stud those tires up.

Reactions: Rubisohoe
Has anyone laid eyes on these tires in real life? Apparently they first came out at SEMA last year.

Discount Tire currently has them listed at ~160 per for 35's.

not sure I want an MT, but at that price? I think I could make do.
What size rims did you have? The website states "approved for 8.5 to 12" rims". I wanted to do 15x8's with them.
I'm running 15x8.
On the 35x12.5 evo's?

What size rims did you have? The website states "approved for 8.5 to 12" rims". I wanted to do 15x8's with them.

On the 35x12.5 evo's?
It's common to run this size tire on 8" wide wheels. As @PRNDL mentioned above, I'm running the 35X12.50s Cooper Evos on stock 15X8 Ravine wheels. I run them at 26PSI on the street and have had no issues. I've got 5K miles on them now, and I'm real happy with them.

Reactions: John Cooper
Cooper recommends the same minimum 8.5" rim width for the 33" as well, but they work just fine on 15x8s.

If anything they actually end up looking slightly narrower and taller than the 33x12.5R15 KO2s I had before.

Thanks for all the pics and reviews. I just picked up a set of Cooper Evo M/T 35X12.50R15 on Amazon Prime Early access for $168.88 each. The normal price for these now is around $240. Compare that to the $135 mentioned back in 2020 for 33's. The $33's are normally about $20 cheaper than 35" but sadly they weren't on sale so I had to go 35s :D

• Wow
Reactions: matkal and NOTNSUV
Thanks for all the pics and reviews. I just picked up a set of Cooper Evo M/T 35X12.50R15 on Amazon Prime Early access for $168.88 each. The normal price for these now is around $240. Compare that to the $135 mentioned back in 2020 for 33's. The $33's are normally about $20 cheaper than 35" but sadly they weren't on sale so I had to go 35s :D

$229 is the best I see on Prime.

$229 is the best I see on Prime.

Sorry, I should clarify, I got the tires on the evening of the 12th around 8PM Pacific. They had been OOS most of the day as the first batch of them went quickly on the first day of the Prime Day Early Access sale. When I saw they came back, I jumped on them. It looks like there are no prime offerings currently. They must be moving them between warehouses or people are snatching them up at $229. They had 14 left in stock after I bought my set according to the page at the time. I wasn't really looking to replace my 33x10.50R15 KO2 yet but looking at what BFG wants for a set of them now this seemed like a good time to move up to 35s.

Last edited:
Reactions: NOTNSUV