Costco gas stations

There's nothing wrong with doing this.

The people you had the encounter with didn't handle it very well. But just because you kept your cool, doesn't mean you weren't being rude as hell for cutting in front of the others. My guess is that if you continue to do it, you will be confronted occasionally. And at some point it could get messy.

Makes me glad I don't live there. I've never waited a line like that. Sure, we see them on busy summer or holiday weekends, but they're the exception to rule.
I agree with this 100%. I don’t think those people handled it well by screaming and acting tough but i don’t think cutting in front of others is the answer either, even if there are open pumps available ahead of the cars that are blocking them. It comes off as butting in line. I would avoid that gas station altogether or pump during off peak hours. I agree that someone will most likely confront you again if you continue to do it that way.

Reactions: Chris
I agree with this 100%. I don’t think those people handled it well by screaming and acting tough but i don’t think cutting in front of others is the answer either, even if there are open pumps available ahead of the cars that are blocking them. It comes off as butting in line. I would avoid that gas station altogether or pump during off peak hours. I agree that someone will most likely confront you again if you continue to do it that way.

I also agree with this. At some point you’ll run into the wrong person and it won’t go well is my guess. I personally prefer to just avoid confrontations altogether.

Now, talking about filling up on the wrong side, I'm having trouble remembering any filler hose that's long enough to get that far. I know they used to exist.

All of the Costco's I've been to have the nozzle/hose on a retractable tether and the hose is long enough to easily reach the opposite side.

Same here, no diapers though.... 4 cases of dog food and only during mid week before noon time.

It's always been apparent to me the high odds of conflict at those pumps. Knowing I already have anger issues with people that can't seem to follow simple human etiquette, I consciously avoid them. Same with people who don't put their fucking shopping carts back.
Yea, I have to admit. I would not have dealt well with the screaming bitch in my face. If the guy had shut of my pump or God forbid, poked me, the wife would be calling the lawyer and heading to the ATM for bail money.

Wife says I need human interaction. I admit having avoided people of late, must be "man-a-pause". Seems at point of contact of new people, I pause, ask myself, am I willing to spend time in jail if they piss me off.
I hear where you’re coming from. The older I get the less tolerant of ignorant people I get. The world would be a better place if people would quit thinking as if they’re the only ones that matters. What ever happened to being considerate of your fellow man? If people would ask themselves “how will this affect the next guy” before acting life would be so much easier. Unfortunately the majority acts as if they are the only person on this planet.

Costco in Seattle (4th Street) and Portland (by PDX) have self checkout lanes. They were a very nice and needed addition.

Wife says I need human interaction. I admit having avoided people of late, must be "man-a-pause". Seems at point of contact of new people, I pause, ask myself, am I willing to spend time in jail if they piss me off.
Few places make me lose faith in humanity faster than the inside of a Costco, yet I somehow still always end up making the mistake of thinking I can stop in for a few items during the weekend. This inevitable leads to being stuck behind some group of people huddled around a sample stand that have somehow forgot that there is anyone else in the world around them as they block off all traffic with their extra-wide shopping carts sitting in the middle of the aisle and everyone with them spaced out all across the middle area where people are trying to pass.

It's like people forget human decency towards others around them and get consumed in a me-me-me mentality as they try and decide whether they should buy a 5 pound box of organic frozen fritatas or whatever.

Reactions: lowranger
Jeez man.. finger poking is definitely a crossing the line douche thing to do but kicking your door too? That right there would’ve probably launched me over the edge.

Your Costco sounds entertaining but mine is simple and pretty efficient so the wait is never really long. My Costco is usually $.20-$.30 a gallon cheaper than other places so it is completely worth it to me since I put a good amount of miles on vehicles and if I need to I stretch that gas hose over my Jeep or truck and jam it right in the gasshole without a second thought. Oh and if someone ever kicks my door I will rip their damn face off.

There are times when being bigger is nice. People generally leave me alone if I put on a grumpy face. Nobody has ever poked me or yelled at me. I can almost always reach the top shelf. One reason I bought a Jeep is so I could sit upright without messing up my hair on the car roof.

However, airplane rides suck.

I'd have shoved that guys finger where the sun doesn't shine, but I'd have already been on the phone to 911 because of crazy lady. Response times are good here, because they want to do something other than write speeding tickets.

Our Costco is so busy this time of year, there are off duty police at the intersections directing traffic. So one of them may have already come over. No way I leave without a full tank.

Reactions: chino1969
This is a bit of a rant, and I really hope I explain it in a way that makes sense, either way, here we go. If you’ve ever visited a Costco, I’m almost sure you’ve noticed the gas station, and the craziness that goes on there. For people that want cheap gas really bad it makes sense, but you have to wait in line for almost 10 minutes at times to get it. Usually, there are three pumps in each row, like this:

1|4..........7|10..........13|16
2|5..........8|11..........14|17
3|6..........9|12..........15|18
^..^..........^....^............^....^
(The arrows point the direction the cars all face while waiting in line)

Sometimes I will get gas at Costco. I mean, it’s cheaper. So why not? I will pull into line and wait like everybody else. Let’s suppose that I’m waiting in row 2, and the person filling at pump 4 leaves, and then the person at pump 5 leaves. Now there is one person filling their car in this row, at pump 6, and let’s say that they just started filling their car so they might still take a while. Now, let’s suppose that there are two people in front of me also waiting on this one guy at pump 6. The people behind pump 6 don’t move past it and into pumps 4 and 5. They wait for an extra 2-5 minutes for this guy to finish, and then they move up. I am in a bit of a hurry, and I can’t wait for the guy at pump 6, so I move around all the cars in front of me, and pull into pump 4. I get out, and start pumping the Jeep. While I’m pumping, the guy at pump 6 leaves, and the two cars that are now behind me pull up. They still got their gas, and they waited in line for the same amount of time as they would’ve if I didn’t pull ahead because they were only waiting for pump 6. It would’ve been faster for everyone if they both pulled past pump 6, but I’m not complaining, because I still got my gas.

Yesterday, I found myself in this exact scenario. One guy was filling up, and nobody wanted to pull past him, so I did. When the other two drivers pull up, this lady (probably mid 30s, with two kids in her car) steps out of her car, but she doesn’t fill her tank, she instead walks over to me and immediately starts screaming. I think it went something like this:
CL= Crazy Lady
CL: What the hell do you think you’re doing? You’re supposed to wait in line like everybody else!
Me: Sorry, what?
CL: You know exactly what you did, and you need to leave. Now!
Me: I don’t understand what you mean. If you’ll please just let me fill up my car, I’ll be on my way.
CL: You have to wait in line like everybody else! Just because you’re in a hurry doesn’t mean you get a free pass to be an asshole!
Me: Alright, I’m sorry. Now can you please just leave me alone?
CL: What did you just say to me!?
At this point a guy walks over from his car (also mid 30s, kind of a strong, fit looking guy) trying to be the hero of the day comes along to back CL up. He puts his finger to my chest and also starts to yell, even though he has no idea what’s going on.
CG= Crazy Guy
CG: You need to leave this woman alone! Don’t you know how to respect women!?
Me: Please don’t touch me. (I tried my best to act calm, if I yelled back it would’ve gotten worse)
CG: I’ll stop bothering you when you apologize for harassing this woman!
Me: I have already said all the apologies I need to. Now can you both just leave?
CG: (Pushes the gas nozzle sensor so it thinks I’ve put it away) No, I think you’re the one that needs to leave you fucking punk!
Keep in mind that I’m a 17 year old boy that’s barely been driving for over a year.
Me: Wow! I guess I didn’t need that much gas after all!
CL: He just pushed the thing down to stop the gas!
CG: Yeah, asshole! That might teach you to respect women!
Me: (Gets in my car)
CG: Yeah you little fucker! Run away! I hope you remember this day asshole! Fuck off!

At this point I started the Jeep and started to drive away when the crazy guy ran up to me and kicked my door and punched my mirror. I immediately stopped. Not only because I was now fuming mad, but I also now had to fix my drivers side mirror which, luckily wasn’t broken. Then the crazy lady started screaming that I ran this guy over, which I obviously did not. Then security was called over to resolve the issue. I explained everything that happened while the crazy people argued that every word that came out of my mouth was a lie. The security guard realized that I was the only somewhat normal one of the bunch, and explained that there is no rule that doesn’t allow, nor allows people to (for lack of a better word) cut in line to save time.

So that’s my story. I’ve gotten gas multiple times at Costco, and “cut” in line, and nobody has ever been upset. Am I in the wrong for cutting? From now on I will be much more reluctant to purchase gas there now. Has anyone else had an encounter with some crazy wackadoodle?

Oh, also, people at Costco get gas like this just to be in the shortest line, which I think is insane and dangerous.

View attachment 129166

Yeah, it can be a mess but there is no excuse for crazy lady to go off but if you pulled in front of other people waiting, you share part of the blame. As far as Mr. Hero, his ass would be on the ground gasping for air, or coughing up blood, as soon as he put his hand on me. Grew up in Philly and never lost my street sense scrappiness. I do commend your self control. You handled it very well but seriously doubt they would have acted that way if you were older and had a 'don't fuck with me' look. That will come as you get older and learn not to take shit from lunatics or someone trying to prove something. With that being said, don't do anything to instigate or cause a situation.

Last edited:
We have three Costcos in our area and I usually dread having to go either one, especially during the busy holiday season. Between the long lines for gas, packed parking spaces, and the crowd of people inside, it really doesn't take much to tick some people off. I just want to get there and leave as fast as possible, but rarely is that the case.

Reactions: Equilibrium31
I don't go to Costco or Sam's for gas, the saving isn't worth my time, that said "You asked for it, and they gave it to you" Right or wrong, you'll soon learn that being right doesn't really matter to people anymore, they all want to be victims. This country is full of "Do Rights" even if they don't know what the fuck they are talking about.

Few places make me lose faith in humanity faster than the inside of a Costco, yet I somehow still always end up making the mistake of thinking I can stop in for a few items during the weekend. This inevitable leads to being stuck behind some group of people huddled around a sample stand that have somehow forgot that there is anyone else in the world around them as they block off all traffic with their extra-wide shopping carts sitting in the middle of the aisle and everyone with them spaced out all across the middle area where people are trying to pass.

It's like people forget human decency towards others around them and get consumed in a me-me-me mentality as they try and decide whether they should buy a 5 pound box of organic frozen fritatas or whatever.

Careful, that's us Republicans feel about some Demarcates. Smiley Face.

This is a bit of a rant, and I really hope I explain it in a way that makes sense, either way, here we go. If you’ve ever visited a Costco, I’m almost sure you’ve noticed the gas station, and the craziness that goes on there. For people that want cheap gas really bad it makes sense, but you have to wait in line for almost 10 minutes at times to get it. Usually, there are three pumps in each row, like this:

1|4..........7|10..........13|16
2|5..........8|11..........14|17
3|6..........9|12..........15|18
^..^..........^....^............^....^
(The arrows point the direction the cars all face while waiting in line)

Sometimes I will get gas at Costco. I mean, it’s cheaper. So why not? I will pull into line and wait like everybody else. Let’s suppose that I’m waiting in row 2, and the person filling at pump 4 leaves, and then the person at pump 5 leaves. Now there is one person filling their car in this row, at pump 6, and let’s say that they just started filling their car so they might still take a while. Now, let’s suppose that there are two people in front of me also waiting on this one guy at pump 6. The people behind pump 6 don’t move past it and into pumps 4 and 5. They wait for an extra 2-5 minutes for this guy to finish, and then they move up. I am in a bit of a hurry, and I can’t wait for the guy at pump 6, so I move around all the cars in front of me, and pull into pump 4. I get out, and start pumping the Jeep. While I’m pumping, the guy at pump 6 leaves, and the two cars that are now behind me pull up. They still got their gas, and they waited in line for the same amount of time as they would’ve if I didn’t pull ahead because they were only waiting for pump 6. It would’ve been faster for everyone if they both pulled past pump 6, but I’m not complaining, because I still got my gas.

So you feel entitled enough to pass two cars that aren't even pumping yet? Entitled being the key word. If you were waiting with no cars in front of you and pulled around the car still filling that is fine. You can't go past those two cars in front of you not pumping yet. Don't do it again or you might meet someone much tougher than the ones you did. You need to wait the couple of minutes for those two cars to move forward. Too bad you are in a hurry. Others are as well, but you cut two people off regardless of how you view it. I honestly have never seen anyone cut in front of people like you did. Seriously. That is an a-hole move.

Last edited:
I think if you read what he actually did he didnt cut anyone. They chose not to move to the open pump until the other cars left, they waited the exact same amount of time as they would have had he not pulled up. He used the pumps the way they were designed to be used, just because people choose to wait to avoid having to drive around the other cars does not mean that they are right. Just because that's the social norm at this Costco does not mean its right either. Also this is an example of a good reason to carry, not saying force was required here, he handled the situation like a mature adult but had muscle man taken it further you can defend yourself.

Last edited:
Reactions: xxdabroxx
The only difference between you and them is that you are smart. Their not. Their fault for not pulling into an empty space and waiting like idiots. Had a similar situation at my College parking lot. Parking lot is full so people make line in the front of the parking To wait for students to come out. There was a student who was parked right in the very front. He left. The car in front of me did not take is spot. I honked for him to move To get the spot. He didn’t. I went around him my left tires got on top of the curve and I parked all of sudden he said you took my spot and got really mad. I told him hey man I Honked at you and you didn’t move it’s your fault. Maybe he thought I wasn’t going to be able to get around him but Jeep Life.

So you feel entitled enough to pass two cars that aren't even pumping yet? Entitled being the key word. If you were waiting with no cars in front of you and pulled around the car still filling that is fine. You can't go past those two cars in front of you not pumping yet. Don't do it again or you might meet someone much tougher than the ones you did. You need to wait the couple of minutes for those two cars to move forward. Too bad you are in a hurry. Others are as well, but you cut two people off regardless of how you view it. I honestly have never seen anyone cut in front of people like you did. Seriously. That is an a-hole move.
Sorry but if you are too stupid to pull around the car at the back to fill up at the open pump in front it's your fault. You can wait for that last spot to open up all day and if there is room I'm pulling into the open spot.

Many Costco members because they pay a membership fee, have a country club entitlement attitude as if they were the VP of the local bank and you "little people " will just have to wait until I'm done and ready to let you pass.