Could you be shamed into not eating meat?

Shamed by who? This new meatless burger crap that all the fast food companies are pushing sound worse than the meat versions to eat, more calories, salt and all the other bad things.

I smoke and grill too much meat to give it up. I did try and go veg-head a couple years ago and actually gained weight.

I dont ever feel "shamed" while eating meat. I have friends who are devout vegans and they dont pressure us, nor do they scold us. I have a full beef in the deep freezer.

That said, they have introduced us to various plant based meals and I got to say I have yet to have a bad meal. The meals are not something you would pick up at burger king either. Whole foods, clever mixes of spices, etc.. The best so far has been a beet burger with some liquid smoke. Tasted phenomenal.

Shame simply doesn't motivate me much and I don't feel shame for something I was born to do.

I eat almost 0 beef, not because I just love cows or any non-sense, I just like a tiny hurdle of providing myself more Venison and to prepare such lean meats so that it's delicious. It's way too easy to get a nice marbled piece of steak to taste amazing, it's another to have a super lean piece of meat to be delicious.

I think by avoiding beef and procuring meat the old fashionedish way, I can remind myself that I'm actually a human and that what we have at our disposals are luxuries that kings never had.

Do I want lab grown meat or whatever crazy alchemy? Absolutely not sounds gross and bad for the environment :).

I gave up meat and dairy about 18 months ago, basically becoming vegan for about 6 months. I can honestly say I felt way better while doing that. I noticed a difference in sleep quality and overall energy. I've slowly re-introduced meat back into my diet and just try to do everything in moderation, except I'm still trying to stay dairy free, which is pretty hard. The one thing I found out about doing this is that dairy was doing a number on my stomach that I didn't realize.

Reactions: Chris
No, I don't feel shamed into that, but I suspect a lot of people do.

I'm tired of shame arguments.

You should feel ashamed you're not wearing a mask.

You should feel ashamed you don't respect whatever pronoun a person wants themself/itself/his-self/herself referred to as.

You should feel ashamed you don't accept homosexuality as a valid lifestyle.

You should feel ashamed of eating animals and animal by-products.

They all commit the fallacy of appealing to someone's emotions rather than dealing with the issue. It's a non-thinking, emoting, critical society we live in, and if you don't go along with it, we'll just Cancel you.

I don't get "shamed" into doing something I don't want to do. I like others on here hunt for my quality meat. Venison, elk, wild pork all good lean meat.

IMG_20190813_185235855.jpg

NO
i have a lot of venison to eat and i do not plan to waste it.
just because some idiot wants to trust what someone made up into "meat"
more power to them.
You will not shame or blame me into it in my lifetime, I am old but i am not a stupid door mat that
society wants everyone to be... nor will i ever be if you dont like what we are doing then don't f'in look
mind your own damned self period .. sorry thats my opinion, i believe at this point i am still allowed that.

No, I don't feel shamed into that, but I suspect a lot of people do.

I'm tired of shame arguments.

You should feel ashamed you're not wearing a mask.

You should feel ashamed you don't respect whatever pronoun a person wants themself/itself/his-self/herself referred to as.

You should feel ashamed you don't accept homosexuality as a valid lifestyle.

You should feel ashamed of eating animals and animal by-products.

They all commit the fallacy of appealing to someone's emotions rather than dealing with the issue. It's a non-thinking, emoting, critical society we live in, and if you don't go along with it, we'll just Cancel you.

Good argument. Shame is a single sided perspective, often based on a "feeling" rather than a fact.

Was having a conversation with a buddy while wheeling this weekend when a couple "Overlanders" came down the smooth gravel Jeep access road leading to the tougher trails. Said something like "It's a shame they spent $40k+ to mod out that new Ford Raptor so they could camp on fire roads in their space pod insulated roof top tent while eating gourmet vegan MRE's and sipping fair trade conflict free coffee while discussing the proper age to deny breastfeeding to your non-binary gender fluid teenager." "Those guys will never know the joy of smashing their rigs down brushy trails and patching things up back at camp with a hammer and some mechanics wire." "It's a shame."

We were laughing a lot while having this conversation. The shame we were giving was probably 100% out of context. The Raptor dude looked like he was having a blast, even if he was barely "off-road".

Last edited:
It seems to me, we are talking about two things here, the "health" aspect of meat, but more compelling, the disgusting act of shaming, and the cancel culture.
How did our society get to this point. For me its not political, it is a matter of right an wrong. JMT touches on some of the issues, but it goes beyond these few social issues, its a way of life for those who want the things you have, but not choosing to work for a better life.....

It seems to me, we are talking about two things here, the "health" aspect of meat, but more compelling, the disgusting act of shaming, and the cancel culture.
How did our society get to this point. For me its not political, it is a matter of right an wrong. JMT touches on some of the issues, but it goes beyond these few social issues, its a way of life for those who want the things you have, but not choosing to work for a better life.....
200.gif

Reactions: B252 and Rick Flair
No shame and most likely NEVER!!!!

I did end up with a BK impossible Whoppper for $0.99. I ordered it, as I order my usual Whopper, without mayo. Of course they failed at that which didn't bother me because I've had them with mayo for years and I was eating while on the road. That impossible Whopper was exactly that IMPOSSIBLE to the point I only ate about 1/2 of it. I don't think I'd have gotten that far if they left the mayo off.

If I'm shameful at all it's because I do admit to eating a couple different non-meat burgers from a couple different restaurants. Even though they were very good they won't replace my meat consumption.