Could you be shamed into not eating meat?

Nope.

My state alternates with Texas every couple years for the largest cattle producing state. We have way more cattle than people here.

I can go visit my food grazing at the family farm. Mine costs the same if it's steak or hamburger.

I don't eat fast food unless I'm on a road trip. Then I get Subway.

I'll never be "shamed" into doing anything. Especially by a bunch of assholes trying to make themselves feel superior for their "lifestyle" choices.

And on that note, I'm gonna go have me a cheeseburger or some spareribs or something like that. Just to celebrate meat eating!

Also, there's why I don't read the papers, watch broadcast tv, or look at "popular" news web portals. They're full of this societal "shaming" for a multitude of things. What you eat, wear, watch, where you go, what kind of car you drive, and the list goes on and on. And if more folks had a backbone, they'd turn that crap off, and I think we'd have much less of it by doing that.

It seems to me, we are talking about two things here, the "health" aspect of meat, but more compelling, the disgusting act of shaming, and the cancel culture.
Mankind is/are 'omnivores' . . . .
1) We have the single stage stomach, and the enzymes needed to digest meat.

2) Also the forward facing eyes that predator species have/need for depth perception during pursuit. Falcons, wolves, bears and weasels all have this. A chicken has an eye on each side of its head that has 360 degree sight. Needed to see the incoming falcon, wolf, etc.

3) We have remnant canine teeth.

4) Meat tastes good!

I don't like the idea of eating meat from overly industrial meat farms. If we had enough animals in western WA i would solely eat wild meat. I love the whole process from killing in the wild to butchering to cooking to eating. I supplement with grass fed local beef and organic chicken. I have read a few books that make me shy away from processing meat plants that treat animals like plants ( read Fast Food Nation if you're interested) but it's out of my own conscience and I do my voting with my $ and like a good libertarian let others do the same. If someone was cooking for me i'd eat their vegan dishes, there are a lot of good dishes. Just had some venison meatloaf... SO good.

I gave up meat and dairy about 18 months ago, basically becoming vegan for about 6 months. I can honestly say I felt way better while doing that. I noticed a difference in sleep quality and overall energy.
We've done what is called the Whole 30 diet. A diet where you can eat meats (ruminants only), fruits (limited due to sugar) and veggies (endless), basically "whole" foods, but with a catch; No added sugar, alcohol, grains, dairy, MSGs, basically anything processed. All for 30 days. The idea is to reset your body and mind. It is an absolute bitch to do, I recall headaches, bloating, and some digestive issues. But at the second or third week I felt just like you; Noticeable sleep changes (for the better), tons of energy, great attitude, and more. Its amazing how food can alter an individual.

Reactions: Mike_H
I don't like the idea of eating meat from overly industrial meat farms. If we had enough animals in western WA i would solely eat wild meat. I love the whole process from killing in the wild to butchering to cooking to eating. I supplement with grass fed local beef and organic chicken. I have read a few books that make me shy away from processing meat plants that treat animals like plants ( read Fast Food Nation if you're interested) but it's out of my own conscience and I do my voting with my $ and like a good libertarian let others do the same. If someone was cooking for me i'd eat their vegan dishes, there are a lot of good dishes. Just had some venison meatloaf... SO good.
Good farm raised beef is better than grass fed. At least that’s what all our customers said.

Now ours were fed our corn, soybeans and hay plus weren’t given growth hormones and all that other shit.

Way better marbling from our feedlots than our pastures.

Highly recommend people find a farmer somewhere that’ll sell 1/4, 1/2 or whole beef. Or at least buy from a good butcher. The shit they sell at the store absolutely sucks.

Highly recommend people find a farmer somewhere that’ll sell 1/4, 1/2 or whole beef. Or at least buy from a good butcher. The shit they sell at the store absolutely sucks.
X2. I have a buddy who I grew up with that has taken over the family farm. I've bought beef from him for probably 6 years now.

Good farm raised beef is better than grass fed. At least that’s what all our customers said.

Now ours were fed our corn, soybeans and hay plus weren’t given growth hormones and all that other shit.

Way better marbling from our feedlots than our pastures.

For my, i prefer the dense lean red meat with low marbling found in wild venison. The grass fed beef approaches wild meat in that manner. I prefer to not buy grain fed beef because of the marbling, grains make the animal grow faster also and grain fed lacks the really good Omega 3's that are found in the grass fed beef and other nutrients. The grass fed and preferably open pastured for the majority of their life, seems to be a more natural diet and is a good supplement to wild meat and we use it as a treat because it's more succulent than venison due to the higher fat content.

Reactions: Ephry73
I dont ever feel "shamed" while eating meat. I have friends who are devout vegans and they dont pressure us, nor do they scold us. I have a full beef in the deep freezer.

That said, they have introduced us to various plant based meals and I got to say I have yet to have a bad meal. The meals are not something you would pick up at burger king either. Whole foods, clever mixes of spices, etc.. The best so far has been a beet burger with some liquid smoke. Tasted phenomenal.
Same. We started doing a few vegetarian meals a week for the fuck of it about a year ago. I found I generally feel better as far as sleep & general readiness when I go about a week, but I do find that I tire out faster when it comes to exercise, like after more than 4 or 5 miles of running I feel wiped. When I'm back on the dead animals I can go farther it seems. But, there are some great veggie meals out there, haven't had many complaints so far.

As far as meat, we have a local butcher here that deals local beef, chicken, & pork without all the hormones & shit you usually get from big distributors so that's where I go for meat.

Plus taking a break from meat makes it even more awesome when you finally do cook it up. If someone tried to shame me for eating meat I'd make them come out to shoot rabbits with me to prove a point.

Reactions: tworley and Squatch
I dont ever feel "shamed" while eating meat. I have friends who are devout vegans and they dont pressure us, nor do they scold us. I have a full beef in the deep freezer.

That said, they have introduced us to various plant based meals and I got to say I have yet to have a bad meal. The meals are not something you would pick up at burger king either. Whole foods, clever mixes of spices, etc.. The best so far has been a beet burger with some liquid smoke. Tasted phenomenal.
I'm with you on this one. In fact, I went vegan for 9 months, and I ended up feeling better, and losing weight, as well. But I never did it as any kind of social, political, or environmental statement. These days, I probably only eat 10% of the meat products I used to eat, but I have zero issue with the idea of eating animals. They're flippin' delicious! (y)

Last edited:
For my, i prefer the dense lean red meat with low marbling found in wild venison. The grass fed beef approaches wild meat in that manner. I prefer to not buy grain fed beef because of the marbling, grains make the animal grow faster also and grain fed lacks the really good Omega 3's that are found in the grass fed beef and other nutrients. The grass fed and preferably open pastured for the majority of their life, seems to be a more natural diet and is a good supplement to wild meat and we use it as a treat because it's more succulent than venison due to the higher fat content.

The diet varied. We bought calves at 300 lbs. Feed started as a mixture of alphalfa, corn, sorghum, and soybean meal.

As they got older the ratios changed and the soybean meal dropped off. This was augmenting feed but they grazed on grassland for most of their food so we only feed them 6-8 tons a week.

The last month, they were moved to the feedlot. Mainly because it was winter anyway. Plus we needed to control their weight. If they got too big buyers would pay less because they wouldn't fit on their machinery. Too small, they paid less too. 1200-1300 lbs was the sweet spot. But occasionally we had one get to 1500 lbs.

I ground a lot of feed as a kid. And butchered plenty of cattle, hogs, and chickens. We butchered 200-300 of those a year.

I also got kicked a couple times. But they were less dangerous then breaking horses and mules to ride.

Last edited:
I have Gout.. so guess what I’m not suppose to eat and drink... no red meat and no alcohol!... guess what I eat and drink on a regular basis, yes of course!.. no I do tend to stay away from red meat on a daily basis (even though I cook it daily in my restaurant) but my oldest sons girlfriends roommate is a devoted Vegan.. 24-ish.. we were at the lake house and I was gonna cook breakfast, bacon, eggs, the norm.. she had brought her own to eat, which is fine, but it took her at least 30 bucks of fruit, yogurt, vegan stuff and more vegan stuff to whip herself up a bowl of stuff that would have been enough food to fit on a ritz cracker!... no thanks

I have Gout.. so guess what I’m not suppose to eat and drink... no red meat and no alcohol!... guess what I eat and drink on a regular basis, yes of course!.. no I do tend to stay away from red meat on a daily basis (even though I cook it daily in my restaurant) but my oldest sons girlfriends roommate is a devoted Vegan.. 24-ish.. we were at the lake house and I was gonna cook breakfast, bacon, eggs, the norm.. she had brought her own to eat, which is fine, but it took her at least 30 bucks of fruit, yogurt, vegan stuff and more vegan stuff to whip herself up a bowl of stuff that would have been enough food to fit on a ritz cracker!... no thanks
Vegan ain't so bad. Just sayin'... :LOL:
oreo-ingredients.jpg

I
Maybe where you live. Growing up in Iowa all our deer eat corn. That’s why we shot so many, too try to keep the crop damage down. I’d take our beef over venison anyway, not even close. Many people switched from grass fed to ours.

Sadly the herd was sold so I too now have to buy from farmers.

No need to be shamed; I stopped eating animal products in 2013 and have never looked back. As I was snacking on my ice cream following my hamburger, I came across a documentary called 'Vegucated' in which the filmmaker recruited 3 'regular Joes', i.e. normal weight, on Craigslist to try a plant-based diet for 6 weeks. It was not preachy at all. Each participant had a physical and blood panel to establish their baseline. After 6 weeks, each of their numbers improved and they claimed to feel better.

On a lark, I thought I could do that, and having just had my physical, set out to try it. I was expecting to it to be difficult but it was surprisingly much easier than I anticipated. Within a week or two any thought of meat or dairy lost all its appeal. Anyhow, I did a follow-up after the 90 days and my total cholesterol went down from 203 to 150-ish. I slept better and no longer had the tired, bloated feeling I would typically have after a eating. The biggest and best improvement I've noticed is that I have not been sick in the 8 years since 'the change', not even a cold.

Of course, there are the associated environmental benefits and the positive chi that go along with being plant-based is a plus :ROFLMAO: .

Contrary to the vegan stereotype, I have no desire to convert anybody or save the world ... every man for himself. ;) I'll even work the BBQ if asked. :ROFLMAO:

Of this I am certain ... an exclusively plant-based diet will never stick unless a person freely-chooses to make that decision ... even for a woman. :whistle:

Reactions: TJ Starting