Critique my tool list

toximus

I live in my Jeep
Supporting Member
I like to carry minimal supplies in my Jeep and believe in only carrying what I know how to use and can practically fix on a trail without a trip to the parts store. If I have to run to the store to get a part than I can buy a tool if I have to. The purpose of these supplies is to worst case make a fix last just long enough to get to a trailer, proper fixes can be done at camp, nearest town, home, etc.

Let me know what you guys think and please be critical!

Spare parts I will be carrying:

Assortment of bolts and nuts.
Spare lug nut
Dana 60 RCV boot
Spare belt (only because I'm running a rare size)
Colby tire valve
2 ATC & 2 MIDI fuses (more fuses can be scavenged from nonessential circuits)
3ft 18ga wire
Fuel line can be scavenged from same size breather line along with barbed fittings
Spare key
Spare brake flex line, banjo and adapter to caliper

Maybe list:
Spare heim rh and lh for trackbar and tierod (both share the same size).
Spare tierod
Spare lca link (front and rear share same size)
Spare TRE (rh and lh)
Rear driveshaft (worst case Tom Woods can always send one out within a few days)

Fluids:
12oz brake fluid
1 gallon premixed radiator fluid
1qt engine oil (any more probably indicates that I need a new oil pan also 10w30 is commonly available everywhere)
3qt gear oil (both axles use 3.5qts, remaining .5qt can be engine oil to get by).
1qt transmission fluid
1qt steering fluid
Washer fluid

Tools:
1/4-7/8" & 8mm-21mm 12pt Wrenches
Adjustable wrench
Needle nose pliers with cutter
Knipex Cobra pliers
Electrical tape
Zipties
Fine tooth 3/8 socket wrench
3/8" breaker bar
3/8" impact driver
3/8" small medium and large extensions
1/4-1-1/8" & 8mm-23mm 6pt 3/8 sockets
4mm long ball (winch and front hubs), 3/16, 7/32 (diff skid), 5/16, 3/8 Hex 3/8 sockets
TBD Torx 3/8 sockets
#3, #4 Phillips 3/8 sockets
Multibit screw driver
Magnet on a stick
Ratchet strap (can be stolen from camping gear or spare tire)
Drinking water bottles can be converted to funnels and drain pans
Factory jack
Paper towels
Disposable gloves
RTV MOPAR black
Loctite 243
Tire plug kit (for repairing a spare so 2 flats don't ruin a week of wheeling)
1-1/2, 1-7/8 crowsfoot (for control arm jam nuts)

Maybe list:
1/2 12pt 3/8 socket (front diff cover and steering arms) — I can use a 12pt wrench if needed

What do you guys think? It seems like a lot...Any ideas to lighten the load?

Last edited:
By impact driver you mean the kind you hit with a hammer? I don't see a hammer in your kit.

You could swap out gear oil for engine. Dual purpose and would work to get you home.

If you haul plenty of drinking water bring a quart or two of non mixed anti freeze. I only bring water but I'm not in the cold you are.

I'm thinking about ditching the plastic case for my safety seal plug kit but I'm not 100% how I'm going to do it yet. Not sure if yours is in a case.

I keep blue paper towels next to the passenger seat they come in handy on the road. Also keeps them out of the tool bag.

I don't see jumper cables on your list.

20191207_132921.jpg

20191207_133103.jpg

I don't do anything extreme so my needs are way less. I am religious on maintenance and I hire it all out, so far that works better than trying to carry parts for things on the border of breaking.

Spares
Spare Tire, fits both TJ and Trailer.
Spare Key

Fluids:
1L Oil
Coolant Sop Leak
Drinking water

Tools:
Imperial 12 point, Metric 6point, TORX, 3/8" Socket Set & Combination Wrenches
Adjustable wrench
Vice Grips
Sidecutter Pliers
Ball Peen Hammer, a few Punches
Set of screw drivers, Torx, Phillips, Slotted, Robertson
Factory jack

Other:
Rope
Ratchet Straps
Tape, Tape, Tape
Small First Aid Kit
Chain w Slip/Grab hooks
Winch accessories, 2 pulleys, 2 straps, 2 shackles, gloves
Factory Jack, 1/2" Breaker Bar, Deep Impact Socket
Cap/Plug for a broken brake line
Booster Cables
Pruning Saw
Bolt Cutters
Boots
Seasonal Clothing

AAA plus VISA plus CELL plus Camera

Thanks for starting this Toximus, always good to review how prepared we are or are not.

Last edited:
Last summer I made an insurance claim for a stolen watch, they wanted a picture of me wearing it.

On that note I laid out ALL my tools and photoed everything. If someone stole my trailer there is no way I could list everything. This photo record will definitely ease the pain of a claim.

These are my winching accessories
DSCN1249.jpeg

And Misc Shit always in the Jeep.... even a dog lease lol
DSCN1250.jpeg

This tool box is too big with too much stuff but some of the tools are good when overlanding if the trailer needs work or if I need to fix something at my kids homes.
DSCN1248.jpeg

Maybe too much but it all fits so... it'll likely not get smaller.
trlr 019.jpeg

Last edited:
I'd like to see what that all looks like laid out. It may not be as much as you think.

I will post pics once I get it assembled and organized.

By impact driver you mean the kind you hit with a hammer?

Milwaukee 12v stubby. I understand this will beat the chrome sockets to a pulp but I don't want 2 sets and chrome provides the best clearances.

I don't see a hammer in your kit.

I debated a hammer and have carried it off and on while testing this kit... My thinking is that a rock or wrench can make a hammer if needed.

You could swap out gear oil for engine. Dual purpose and would work to get you home.

That's a good point.

If you haul plenty of drinking water bring a quart or two of non mixed anti freeze. I only bring water but I'm not in the cold you are.

I could get by with water only as long as I don't let things freeze (although I suppose the water might freeze in the bottles and not pour). I'd like to only carry a quart of antifreeze but HOAT only seems to be packaged in gallons.

I'm thinking about ditching the plastic case for my safety seal plug kit but I'm not 100% how I'm going to do it yet. Not sure if yours is in a case.

I have a kit that's on a card. I consider it disposable if I have to open it. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ET525K/?tag=wranglerorg-20 I think I'm either going to deal with a nail puncture on the street or I'm going to shred a tire offroad and ride the rim to get to a safe spot to change it so I don't know if a "better" kit would help me at all.

I don't see jumper cables on your list.

Good catch! I do have 20ft pure copper cables.

Spare Tire, fits both TJ and Trailer.

Good point! I do have the spare strapped down in the back.

Small First Aid Kit

I have wilderness wilderness first responder (WFR) and a supplied medical kit.

Winch accessories, 2 pulleys, 2 straps, 2 shackles, gloves

This is in my recovery kit.

Pruning Saw

I used to carry one but it didn't make it into the final version of my gear. I haven't found anything that I could cut but couldn't break or drive over.

AAA plus VISA plus CELL plus Camera

This reminds me that I used to have a big D maglite flash light as part of my kit. It was nice 10 years ago but a cell phone has since taken it's spot.

I have road side assistance on my wifes Jeep but not mine. If there's a big enough issue I'm going to have to rent a truck and trailer to tow it home myself and have a friend back home ship my box of trailer tie downs to me. No part of that is fun or easy. Although AAA could help with the initial getting off the road.

Add a 12volt test light to your list. Lots of diagnostics can be done with that.

I'm pretty familiar with all of the wiring on my Jeep at this point since I made a custom harness in the front. If I needed to I could remove a turn signal to use as a test light.

Keep the ideas coming!

Washer fluid

I thought about this some more. The reason it made the list is because I hate spending $6/gallon on cheapo gas station fluid and then have half a gallon of it I need to still carry around that gets in my way of camping gear. I found tablets that mix with water but they don't prevent freezing and concentrates that do are super expensive. I might just have to get over it and buy it at gas stations while on long trips and give away the rest to somebody who needs it.

I would add a length of small gauge low carbon wire like the type used on industrial type scaffolds. It bends easily and has numerous uses like a temp. hose clamp, securing items out of the way as in a damaged drive shaft, broken exhaust hanger, etc.

I would add a length of small gauge low carbon wire like the type used on industrial type scaffolds. It bends easily and has numerous uses like a temp. hose clamp, securing items out of the way as in a damaged drive shaft, broken exhaust hanger, etc.

You mean bailing wire? Good addition!

Reactions: xxdabroxx
More of a trail tool but a small axe can come in handy. I've always carried a cold steel tomahawk in the jeep and I've used it more than once to knock some limbs down sticking into a trail. It can save a soft top. Also makes for a hammer. Mine sits on the floor under all the other stuff on the side of the seat.

Can you pull the wire tight that way?

I think you could by twisting (think twist-tie on a bread bag) but it'd also cause stress and wear on the hose. Maybe there's a technique I don't know?

The tool does seem like it'd be beneficial vs an assortment of hose clamps if you're carrying bailing wire anyway. All of my hoses except for radiator and air intake are socketless (do not require a clamp) so I need to consider if I the tool will be beneficial enough or not...