Critique my tool list

Does anyone know what the average towing bill costs to get off the highway?
I recently broke on the trail. After the trail repair and recovery, I still had to get it home 90 miles (town near park to home). $360 even with basic AAA; (Premium pkg.would have covered up to 100 miles).

If you need a flashlight, you probably actually need a headlamp to keep your hands free.

What do you use for deflators the pre adjusted ones you put on every tire?

Yup. https://www.coyoteents.com/deflators/ with large tires it allows you to work on other things while they deflate. I tend to lend 2 out and use 2 so I keep one set at 16psi for friends. It helps everyone get onto the trail faster even if they don't want to air down as far.

My tool bag often gets buried under towels, soft ice chest, etc. if I have the back seat in so it isn't always fun to get to.

I try to keep my frequently used tools in the rear footwell for quick access (behind/under the front seats). If I can I also leave as much camping gear inside the tent back at camp.

Colby valve is something I still need to pick up. Makes sense to keep it in the tire repair bag.

I haven't used one yet but from what I've seen in videos it looks like they work well.

If you need a flashlight, you probably actually need a headlamp to keep your hands free.

Good catch! I do have headlamps in camping gear. I also have rocklights so I can always unbolt one of those to move around and use it as a light.

I recently broke on the trail. After the trail repair and recovery, I still had to get it home 90 miles (town near park to home). $360 even with basic AAA; (Premium pkg.would have covered up to 100 miles).

Yikes! In that case I might be better off paying monthly.

Everyones comments picking apart my list has been super helpful getting me to think through scenarios and what tools and parts I'd need. It's become clear that I can't pack enough to be unstoppable but I think I'll be well prepared for all common issues.

Reactions: WSS and JMT
Good catch! I do have headlamps in camping gear. I also have rocklights so I can always unbolt one of those to move around and use it as a light.

The old GM retractable underhood light with a corncob LED works well. It will reach 2 Jeeps away.

The old GM retractable underhood light with a corncob LED works well. It will reach 2 Jeeps away.

I like mine but it's not the brightest with the conventional bulb. I should look into replacing it with LED.

I've been thinking about this some more. I'm upgrading my plug kit to the highly recommended Safety Seal kit. Do you have a large patch kit that you recommend? I'll probably just add a couple of patches to the bag and keep the tire related stuff together.

i carry the old school plugs, right now. but the off road kit will have that, as well as several patches 2x2, 3x3 and 4x4. (4x6 if i can find them)..........a bottle of cement a scuffer (something i can run on a small cordless) and a roller. should cover just about anything.
i'll peek the safety seal kit, too.

was coincidence really i just watched some vid on bead locks, next up was huge side wall tire puncture they patched. so i watched it. then caught your thread and tossed it out about carrying a few larger patches

Tox do you know the crows foot size for the Currie jam nut on your midarms? I want to add that to my tool bag. I've been using crescent wrenches. Also picked up one of those wire tighteners, that looks like a great tool.

Tox do you know the crows foot size for the Currie jam nut on your midarms? I want to add that to my tool bag. I've been using crescent wrenches. Also picked up one of those wire tighteners, that looks like a great tool.

1-1/2 & 1-7/8.

You've been hanging out on GarageJournal for too long. I've been using chrome sockets with 3/8" impacts for 20 years and can't remember ever having broken one.

Remember...if you have to sit there and rattle on the bolt for 30 seconds before it starts to come loose...you need a bigger tool. An impact ( if you've chosen a 3/8" drive) should hit a couple times and spin the bolt out....or run the bolt down and hit a few times to snug it. It's really not very hard on sockets. Big stuff is different, but we're not using a 3/8 on big stuff.
Different world nowadays with the Milwaukee M18 Fuel stuff. Lots of chrome sockets, near zero failures over the years. Started using them with the 3/8" M18 and they just get beat to crap. After a few weeks of that, they start breaking. I had to get several sets of impact sockets to keep using the M18 Fuel stuff.

Different world nowadays with the Milwaukee M18 Fuel stuff. Lots of chrome sockets, near zero failures over the years. Started using them with the 3/8" M18 and they just get beat to crap. After a few weeks of that, they start breaking. I had to get several sets of impact sockets to keep using the M18 Fuel stuff.

While the sockets are in that initial beat stage they start wobbling on a ratchet too.

Slowly but surely my Jeep tool kit is coming together.

IMG_20200117_201652.jpg

I've been toying with the idea of making a "false top" cover over my fuel cell with a hinged top so I can place the tools in 2" thick foam cut out to make a toolbox of sorts.

Pros are that everything will have a place, even tools too big/long to fit in a bag. And nothing will rattle or clank like in a bag. Cons are that I'd need to grab what I need through the front and if it's rainy or muddy that'll make the seats messy. The foam will only be a few pounds heavier than a bag (if that much) and if the tools I carry ever change I can replace just a section of the foam and make new cutouts in it.

Thoughts?

F1A-01482-2a.jpg

IMG_20200111_154511.jpg

Since you carry your spare in the back, have you considered the the void under the rim for tool bags?

Since you carry your spare in the back, have you considered the the void under the rim for tool bags?

I need to figure out the best way to utilize that space; otherwise it's wasted space. The 37" tire is wedged in the tub and isn't fast to lift up. I want my tools quickly accessible along with recovery gear. I don't mind if spare parts take a little longer to get to. Camping gear, cooler, and other "luggage" will be going on top of the spare. That'll all be out normally while offroad but will still be in for overlanding type trips if I'm between camp sites.

It might be a good space for jumper cables which could come out through the center.

Reactions: DrDmoney