Cross Country Trip Advice

In the mid 80s, me my wife and boy hopped in my 1969 buick electra 225 and drove to California from upstate NY.
No prep, just load and go. We had 1 problem, while riding around in Hollywood the fuel pump went from leaking to full failure.
I bought a fuel pump, and could not get the old one off. The auto parts store made a call to a chain garage and lined up someone to swap them out. While we at a lunch of Chinese assorted, the buick was up and ready for the road.
On the way there I was on a dead line for starting a boiler job. Made it to Amorila TX in 25 hours, when my wife demanded I sleep. Then drove up to the Grand Canyon, gambled $3.00 in Vegas, and got to Redondo Beach almost on time.

The ride back took a lot longer, the plan was my wife would drive days, and I would drive nights. But I would drive an hour our 2 and pull over. My wife woke the first night with a startle to see me asleep with roaring semis, then realized we were at a rest area.

In my old age, we travel for the pleasure mostly on the US State and county roads to get to see the real world. It takes a lot more time, but we see a lot more of the real world. And waking up to Free range cows in a Nation Forest campground is a real pleasure.

Reactions: cjaama and TJ2
I have done cross country trips several times as well, I just did a Seattle to the Grand Canyon and came back up the CA/OR/WA coast. Everything that people have advised is great, I also take a portable CB radio. The truckers will keep you informed about police, where to gas up and where to eat.

I’ve heard from a couple truckers that they really don’t use CB’s anymore. Just use Waze.

My only advice is the thing I advise everyone to do, use Rain-X or some variation of it. Once you drive at night in a rainstorm without turning your wipers on you’ll understand.

And if you haven’t already, upgrade to some cheap LED headlights.

Reactions: Ron Hockett
I’ve heard from a couple truckers that they really don’t use CB’s anymore. Just use Waze.

My only advice is the thing I advise everyone to do, use Rain-X or some variation of it. Once you drive at night in a rainstorm without turning your wipers on you’ll understand.

And if you haven’t already, upgrade to some cheap LED headlights.
I used mine a month ago and they were still using it then, it comes in handy on those roads that don’t have a lot of traffic. I use waze as well. Rain-X is good advice.

I used mine a month ago and they were still using it then, it comes in handy on those roads that don’t have a lot of traffic. I use waze as well. Rain-X is good advice.
That’s cool. I was disappointed when I heard a couple of truckers mention that they weren’t really used. They were younger guys who had called in to a radio show, so maybe the older guys are still using them.

Reactions: Ron Hockett
That’s cool. I was disappointed when I heard a couple of truckers mention that they weren’t really used. They were younger guys who had called in to a radio show, so maybe the older guys are still using them.

There aren't as many on as there used to be, but when I drove from Seattle to Salt Lake I was informed of cops and road conditions as it was snowing. I was also entertained by the conversations.

Reactions: cjaama
A well planned route. Just remember - good friends and good food make good times.

May I suggest..
https://www.tvfoodmaps.com/show/Diners-Drive-Ins-Dives

Also - if you have issues, I've found facebook vehicle groups to be a good place to find help. Or give us an idea of your route - maybe you'll be driving by other forum members. I doubt you'll come through Eastern Iowa but if you do and need anything, let me know.

Reactions: RussTJ