Cummins R2.8 97 TJ

Follow up on my EGR issue. The Cummins repair site called Quickserve lists out that continuing to drive with the egr fault code can result in the ECM reducing max engine torque. I contacted Brittany, the tech lead at Cummins and she replied back that on this model, the EGR will fail closed with this code, I got an easy EGR delete, keep that nasty exhaust out of my intake tract!

My next question for you guys is should I turn up the power on this engine? Tuners are getting scarce because of the EPA cracking down and leveling big fines. But I think there is at least one person willing to tune my ECM with a 200 hp/400 ft lb tune, the big question is can my AX15 live with 400 ft lbs of torque that comes on at 1800 and lasts through 2800 rpms. When I get on the highway, I am in 5th gear by 45 miles an hour and the Jeep pulls minor hills with ease, hills that the 4.0 gasser would have had to downshift to 4th on. Fuel economy so far seems excellent at over 20 mpg. My fuel gauge only reads 90% when the tank is totally full, but it gives me a reference. I have been driving the Jeep to an appointment 40 miles from home and I have made the trip 3 times to try and get some miles on it. My mechanical fan set up is 10 times better than the POS supposed 3000 cfm electric fan and shroud that I put on originally. This thing is kind of fun to drive and if I bang through the gears at WOT, it would easily out accelerate my old 4.0. Engine is pretty quiet even with the 2.5 inch stainless straight pipe exhaust! I would say my 4.56 gears are perfect for my type of driving.

Sorry to reply to this old post but I have the R2.8 as well. I’ve been wanting to delete the egr as well as getting it tuned. I was curious if you ever did and how it’s running so far afterwards. And did you just send in your ecm to get flashed or did you put it on a dyno and tune it that way? Thanks in advance! Texting me would probably be easier if you’d like. 541-six0three-8two5one

Reactions: BugoutJeep
I'm in concurrence on this as well, though I'm really behind on my Jeep project. I put off stuff I have to do because I didn't have my new transmission and then my transmission came in and I installed it and same issues as before, so I'm still down until I get a chance to get the Jeep back in the garage and fix the stuff I knew has been wrong for a year or more.

I'm in the exact same boat where I want more power, but decided on the substantially cheaper and lighter AX-15 and obviously I don't want an EGR valve working and dumping in harmful stuff into my engine.

If you do get the tune, I certainly want to know how it turned out, though I'd probably lean more towards a modest tune with 360ish ft-lbs. I'm only going to stomp on the gas when I'm in 4th or 5th anyway, though I think 4th is supposed to be stronger, but I'm more likely to need more torque to go up a steep hill when I'm in 5th gear. Pretty much all the other gears, I've got quite a lot of torque for a Jeep and most trucks besides mainly the 3/4 ton and above diesel trucks. Even the big gas trucks don't seem to have great low end torque like the R2.8 does at 1,500 RPMs and up.

I am running a TDI tuning box from Europe. It is a fueling box that plugs into the wiring harness and modifies the fueling, kind of similar to the Banks Derringer. If I remember correctly they claim around 50+ hp with this box, it has six or seven levels and I really only run level 7 for max power. The engine pulls hard and I have no issues. My egr hasn't given me any trouble for quite a while ever since the check engine light decided to go out and not come back. I clear the codes with my Autel scan tool and this code isn't set in history. I do have a couple other codes that are called permanent codes though. One of them is for engine overspeed, busting 3 foot deep snow drifts at WOT and I must have got carried away a little, I know I saw 4500 on the tach, LOL. If I was going to tune the ECM I would probably go with Power Toys from the cummins website, he seems to have a good tune and can remove the EGR from the ECM.
I haven't posted anything about my Cummins R2.8 swap in a while, because it has been delivering many smiles to the gallon. I have done a lot of winter driving in snow in rough country and the engine has been great. I did have an issue with the engine not getting warm enough when I was elk hunting and temps were around zero. I replaced the thermostat and all is well again. I am very happy with this swap! Great low end torque, and enough rpms on tap to spin the tires when needed and about double the mileage I got with the 4.0 gasser.

Reactions: Rickyd and Wildman
Follow up on my EGR issue. The Cummins repair site called Quickserve lists out that continuing to drive with the egr fault code can result in the ECM reducing max engine torque. I contacted Brittany, the tech lead at Cummins and she replied back that on this model, the EGR will fail closed with this code, I got an easy EGR delete, keep that nasty exhaust out of my intake tract!

My next question for you guys is should I turn up the power on this engine? Tuners are getting scarce because of the EPA cracking down and leveling big fines. But I think there is at least one person willing to tune my ECM with a 200 hp/400 ft lb tune, the big question is can my AX15 live with 400 ft lbs of torque that comes on at 1800 and lasts through 2800 rpms. When I get on the highway, I am in 5th gear by 45 miles an hour and the Jeep pulls minor hills with ease, hills that the 4.0 gasser would have had to downshift to 4th on. Fuel economy so far seems excellent at over 20 mpg. My fuel gauge only reads 90% when the tank is totally full, but it gives me a reference. I have been driving the Jeep to an appointment 40 miles from home and I have made the trip 3 times to try and get some miles on it. My mechanical fan set up is 10 times better than the POS supposed 3000 cfm electric fan and shroud that I put on originally. This thing is kind of fun to drive and if I bang through the gears at WOT, it would easily out accelerate my old 4.0. Engine is pretty quiet even with the 2.5 inch stainless straight pipe exhaust! I would say my 4.56 gears are perfect for my type of driving.

I am running a TDI tuning box from Europe. It is a fueling box that plugs into the wiring harness and modifies the fueling, kind of similar to the Banks Derringer. If I remember correctly they claim around 50+ hp with this box, it has six or seven levels and I really only run level 7 for max power. The engine pulls hard and I have no issues. My egr hasn't given me any trouble for quite a while ever since the check engine light decided to go out and not come back. I clear the codes with my Autel scan tool and this code isn't set in history. I do have a couple other codes that are called permanent codes though. One of them is for engine overspeed, busting 3 foot deep snow drifts at WOT and I must have got carried away a little, I know I saw 4500 on the tach, LOL. If I was going to tune the ECM I would probably go with Power Toys from the cummins website, he seems to have a good tune and can remove the EGR from the ECM.
I haven't posted anything about my Cummins R2.8 swap in a while, because it has been delivering many smiles to the gallon. I have done a lot of winter driving in snow in rough country and the engine has been great. I did have an issue with the engine not getting warm enough when I was elk hunting and temps were around zero. I replaced the thermostat and all is well again. I am very happy with this swap! Great low end torque, and enough rpms on tap to spin the tires when needed and about double the mileage I got with the 4.0 gasser.

Thanks for all the great Info I really appreciate it. I’ve been in contact with power toys just haven’t decided what route I was going to go. You like that TDI box? Does it help with throttle response or throttle sensitivity? Have you noticed a big power difference?