Current Atlas Wait Thread

I don't like it at all. I fully understand and can do it perfectly, but it is still a finicky beast.
I think on the Atlas site I watched some videos and they were suggesting that sometimes you even need to rock the vehicle and even turn it off and on to get it to disengage. A little nerve racking IMO, but I never seem to hear anyone complain about it. Beyond that I've certainly heard of people not adjusting things properly and having a bad day.

I daily drive my Jeep and go into 4hi fairly often preventatively, and even 4lo, just to not tear up a yard or something. I live on a 1 lane road and for a multitude of reasons I have to go off the road to accommodate either people with cars that have no clearance or a bunch of other reasons. I can get out without 4x4, but I might spin some.

I think on the Atlas site I watched some videos and they were suggesting that sometimes you even need to rock the vehicle and even turn it off and on to get it to disengage. A little nerve racking IMO, but I never seem to hear anyone complain about it. Beyond that I've certainly heard of people not adjusting things properly and having a bad day.

I daily drive my Jeep and go into 4hi fairly often preventatively, and even 4lo, just to not tear up a yard or something. I live on a 1 lane road and for a multitude of reasons I have to go off the road to accommodate either people with cars that have no clearance or a bunch of other reasons. I can get out without 4x4, but I might spin some.
Shifting an Atlas is simple. There are two things you need to remember. You can not have 2 high front only or 1 low and 1 high. That determines the order that you move each lever in. The second thing is no matter how hard you pull on the levers, if the gears are in a bind it won't shift.

Sometimes when I'm on an obstacle and need to pop the rear out, I have to put light pressure on the Atlas shift lever and move the auto shifter from drive to reverse to release or try and release the bind. Generally works, not always and then you get to remember that no matter how hard you pull on the levers, it will not shift if the gears are in a bind. If you can't shift with light pressure, change something until you can.

Which material is inferior, the aluminum the Atlas is cast from or the aluminum the 231 and 241 are cast from? That and I know a gent who was trying to dead lift his Atlas up in place laying on his back under a rig. It slipped and he dropped it. Broke the case on the Atlas and had to get it welded back up.
Great point. Do they share the same heat treated t6 aluminum case material? I thought they were two different materials and the heat treated aluminum was picked for more strength in mind.

Great point. Do they share the same heat treated t6 aluminum case material? I thought they were two different materials and the heat treated aluminum was picked for more strength in mind.
The inherent design difference between a chain case which is trying to pull the two shafts towards each other and a gear driven case that is trying to push them apart means that the Atlas case has to be stronger. Has nothing to do with making it a superior product, it has to do with it not breaking in half under use.

Does the atlas shift similarly to the Dana 300? I used to have a T18 with a Twin stick Dana 300 in my Cj7 and absolutely loved that combination with 4.56 gears. The front digs and rear low were nice to have as well in the tight spaces especially with full auto lockers. The D300 could sometimes be finicky, but would sometimes just require a slight roll to engage just wondering if the Atlas is similar. It sucks there's not more options out there for our aging platform:cry:

Generally when you hear of "hard to shift" an Atlas has to due with people attempting to shift with the vehicle stationary. AA's manual on the Atlas states "When shifting into 2WD or 4WD Low, REMEMBER the following: The vehicle should be at a slow roll forward, no faster than 5 miles an hour."
Those instructions are for this who never drove a cj with a dana 300

Reactions: Quigley
Does the atlas shift similarly to the Dana 300? I used to have a T18 with a Twin stick Dana 300 in my Cj7 and absolutely loved that combination with 4.56 gears. The front digs and rear low were nice to have as well in the tight spaces especially with full auto lockers. The D300 could sometimes be finicky, but would sometimes just require a slight roll to engage just wondering if the Atlas is similar. It sucks there's not more options out there for our aging platform:cry:
Both are gear driven cases. Atlas wont pop out of gear as often as the 300 and isnt known for it unlike the 300. Atlas will shift smoother. Atlas was/is engineered for specific usage, the Dana 300 was an OEM application.

If you have the funds there is another option than an Atlas. This is similar to the STaK's boxes but with the issues they had fixed.

Trail Worthy Fab Transfer Case

I think I will rob the atlas from the YJ and stick it into my LJ, inputs are the same and I just need to adjust the shifters. No wait and I am selling the YJ and will not recoupe what the atlas costs in the YJ so its a pretty simple decision. TIm

Got confirmation my case went into build today, ship date with the holidays is 1/6
Nice! a mere 3 months, thats cool you get a build update. That's awesome actually that it ships after the holidays so theres something to look forward to in the dreary days of the new year.

Nice! a mere 3 months, thats cool you get a build update. That's awesome actually that it ships after the holidays so theres something to look forward to in the dreary days of the new year.
For sure. I ordered mine through Dave's Offroad Supply, and Dave has been great about keeping me up to date on where things are at, and what's going on. Really happy with their service so far.

For sure. I ordered mine through Dave's Offroad Supply, and Dave has been great about keeping me up to date on where things are at, and what's going on. Really happy with their service so far.
Same here, Dave has been very responsive. He had the best price by a lot of any of the other retailers i found. I chose an incorrect speedo option and he refunded me the difference when AA corrected it.

Reactions: davemayn13
Vic Carrol explained a few things that I was not clear on, one was that a 5:1 case in low with the engine spinning 2k, the output is spinning 10k. The Atlas II can handle it but that is some perspective. 50mph in lo is probably not a good idea. Shifting gets much easier after a few hundred miles, still need to be rolling, but not very fast.

Shall we show some pics just keep everyone happy while they wait for theirs??

I did spray mine with a clear acrylic to preserve the beauty.

IMG_1096_zpsdtgklhpt.jpg

IMG_2213_zpsbmkcb8jf.jpg

IMG_2216_zpsvdslvwwo.jpg

IMG_2217_zpsdqdyxzu5.jpg

IMG_2245_zpsimc2nj03.jpg

I even went deep for the red knobs.

IMG_2278_zpsshmo2xnk.jpg

IMG_2281_zpsgj4zn3j3.jpg

Vic Carrol explained a few things that I was not clear on, one was that a 5:1 case in low with the engine spinning 2k, the output is spinning 10k. The Atlas II can handle it but that is some perspective. 50mph in lo is probably not a good idea. Shifting gets much easier after a few hundred miles, still need to be rolling, but not very fast.

Shall we show some pics just keep everyone happy while they wait for theirs??

I did spray mine with a clear acrylic to preserve the beauty.

View attachment 212583

View attachment 212584

View attachment 212585

View attachment 212586

View attachment 212587

I even went deep for the red knobs.

View attachment 212588

View attachment 212589
Nailed it

a 5:1 case in low with the engine spinning 2k, the output is spinning 10k. The Atlas II can handle it but that is some perspective. 50mph in lo is probably not a good idea.
Other way around, and I think your engine is going to have a harder time reaching 10k rpm than your transfercase input will.

Other way around, and I think your engine is going to have a harder time reaching 10k rpm than your transfercase input will.
Then I would have no torque and might be able to do 150mph (like my speedo says). A tc is a torque multiplier not a torque divider, I think??

• Wow
Reactions: Wildman