Current Atlas Wait Thread

I did. I got an amazing deal on it as I was only planning to get the 2 speed. I was coming from a 4:1 case and occasionally wished I had less gearing in low. And this is perfect. I thought I would never use the doubler but as it turns out it is awesome and I use it quite often.however the best part is 2wd low ranges.
What transmission are you running? I've been really thinking of going Atlas 2 with 5:1 if I can't get 6:1. I don't think I can get 6:1 anymore. Part of me would like to crawl slightly slower at times, but as far as going faster, I figure I can just shift to higher gears in my transmission as I get through obstacles.

How hard is it to go between the different ratios? Wouldn't you have to shift the one in L to H and the other one H into L?

I guess, to me the point of the 4 speed is to have the really low low crawl ratios.

2 low and picking your axle would be pretty cool I think.

It's a much easier option for us with NP231s though.

What transmission are you running? I've been really thinking of going Atlas 2 with 5:1 if I can't get 6:1. I don't think I can get 6:1 anymore. Part of me would like to crawl slightly slower at times, but as far as going faster, I figure I can just shift to higher gears in my transmission as I get through obstacles.

How hard is it to go between the different ratios? Wouldn't you have to shift the one in L to H and the other one H into L?

I guess, to me the point of the 4 speed is to have the really low low crawl ratios.
If you are strictly crawling the low ratio is just fine. But I run a lot or trails out west and some of them the obstacles are spread out over the trail. So getting more speed between the obstacles was a nice addition and on some of these trails the 4.0L just doesn’t have enough in 1:1 range to pull you up but 4:1 was to slow even in 5th gear to keep up with everyone running the 2.72:1 cases. That and running in sand or snow when it’s fun to have the extra wheel speed. I currently have an AX-15 but am going to an auto in the next phase of my build. Shifting from 1:1 to 3.8:1 can be done on the fly or engagement of 4wd or back to 2wd. But the 2.72:1 range planetary I have to make a quick stop. If I was strictly a crawler I’d stick with a 2speed. But for my use I’m really digging the 4 speed

Might depend on how much clunking and grinding it is actually doing. And How built the rig. you gain more than just the gear ratio from the atlas II. With 2wd low and front dig etc.
True, but I would be more inclined to rebuild the 241. An Atlas is fantastic, but fitting it can be a pain. That’s the nice thing about a 241 is it bolts right up and the 4:1 ratio is as low as I’ve ever found I needed.

Not to say I wouldn’t like an Atlas, I just don’t want to go through the hassle of fitting one.

Reactions: Rescue6
If you are strictly crawling the low ratio is just fine. But I run a lot or trails out west and some of them the obstacles are spread out over the trail. So getting more speed between the obstacles was a nice addition and on some of these trails the 4.0L just doesn’t have enough in 1:1 range to pull you up but 4:1 was to slow even in 5th gear to keep up with everyone running the 2.72:1 cases. That and running in sand or snow when it’s fun to have the extra wheel speed. I currently have an AX-15 but am going to an auto in the next phase of my build. Shifting from 1:1 to 3.8:1 can be done on the fly or engagement of 4wd or back to 2wd. But the 2.72:1 range planetary I have to make a quick stop. If I was strictly a crawler I’d stick with a 2speed. But for my use I’m really digging the 4 speed
For my gearing, I'm probably going to just go with the 2-speed, but hope I can get the 6:1. From there I'm probably just going to change up the transmission because I'm thinking about getting a tune and I would like slightly different gearing in the transmission.

The typical mild tune (roughly 10% hp increase) which enhances drivability would put me around 360 ft lbs and I'm just not sure how long my old ax-15 can handle that so I'm probably just gonna look for something like a 6 speed diesel transmission or maybe even an automatic. Toyota uses the same transmission body as the AX-15 for some of their diesels and supras, so I may look into that too if I can find anything (Also its got a 5.15 first gear).

Reactions: Rescue6
True, but I would be more inclined to rebuild the 241. An Atlas is fantastic, but fitting it can be a pain. That’s the nice thing about a 241 is it bolts right up and the 4:1 ratio is as low as I’ve ever found I needed.

Not to say I wouldn’t like an Atlas, I just don’t want to go through the hassle of fitting one.
I hear you there. It’s definitely a little more work and more involved than just lining it up and bolting it in. Absolutely if it’s rebuildable stick with the 241. It’s a great case. But if I was going to be having to purchase another 241 because I grenaded one or was upgrading from a 231 I’d take a hard look at going to an atlas as the cost isn’t that much more than what people seem to be wanting for a used 241’s at least around here in who knows what kind of condition.

Reactions: Alex01 and Chris
I hear you there. It’s definitely a little more work and more involved than just lining it up and bolting it in. Absolutely if it’s rebuildable stick with the 241. It’s a great case. But if I was going to be having to purchase another 241 because I grenaded one or was upgrading from a 231 I’d take a hard look at going to an atlas as the cost isn’t that much more than what people seem to be wanting for a used 241’s at least around here in who knows what kind of condition.

As Blaine has pointed out numerous times, if the 241 wasn’t so friggin expensive it would probably be the better option for most people. But since people are asking insane prices for used ones, it puts you in Atlas territory for just a little bit more money. I totally get that too.

As Blaine has pointed out numerous times, if the 241 wasn’t so friggin expensive it would probably be the better option for most people. But since people are asking insane prices for used ones, it puts you in Atlas territory for just a little bit more money. I totally get that too.
I know a lot of people had trouble, but I'd even get the terra low kit if it was still available. It seemed to have some limitations, but I just typically want the really low gearing to idle through stuff really slowly. I guess long term though, it's probably a useless option, but I'd already have 4:1 right now too and I could put off the Atlas Tcase. In the meantime I'll just have to burn the clutch and brakes up a bit, which isn't that big of a deal.

I know a lot of people had trouble, but I'd even get the terra low kit if it was still available. It seemed to have some limitations, but I just typically want the really low gearing to idle through stuff really slowly. I guess long term though, it's probably a useless option, but I'd already have 4:1 right now too and I could put off the Atlas Tcase. In the meantime I'll just have to burn the clutch and brakes up a bit, which isn't that big of a deal.
The Tera 2 Low kit was a good idea, but it was a piss poor design from what I understand. That seems to be apparent from the number of them that broke.

Reactions: BugoutJeep
One reason why I chose a 5:1 was to find a "happy-medium" between my 1st gear crawl ratio (87:1) and 2nd gear (50:1) with the Rubicon 4:1. First was too slow keeping up with other rigs on trails but was beautiful climbing large potatoes. 2nd gear, I found it a bit sluggish crawling obstacles and frequently depressing the clutch, slowing down on the trail. The 5:1 in 2nd should put me at 64:1 crawl ratio and hopefully keep my left foot off the clutch as much.

In addition to what was already listed, the factory case is built with an inferior material and the factory case is chain driven versus the Atlas being gear driven.
Which material is inferior, the aluminum the Atlas is cast from or the aluminum the 231 and 241 are cast from? That and I know a gent who was trying to dead lift his Atlas up in place laying on his back under a rig. It slipped and he dropped it. Broke the case on the Atlas and had to get it welded back up.

• Wow
Reactions: Chris and toximus
How do you all like the shifting of the Atlas? I've heard it's a bit different to get it into and out of gear.

How do you all like the shifting of the Atlas? I've heard it's a bit different to get it into and out of gear.
Generally when you hear of "hard to shift" an Atlas has to due with people attempting to shift with the vehicle stationary. AA's manual on the Atlas states "When shifting into 2WD or 4WD Low, REMEMBER the following: The vehicle should be at a slow roll forward, no faster than 5 miles an hour."

Generally when you hear of "hard to shift" an Atlas has to due with people attempting to shift with the vehicle stationary. AA's manual on the Atlas states "When shifting into 2WD or 4WD Low, REMEMBER the following: The vehicle should be at a slow roll forward, no faster than 5 miles an hour."
I saw a video on youtube about them shifting and it had something to do with their syncros I guess. It seemed like they just wanted you rolling and maybe it was more of an issue for automatic transmissions.

I plan to to use 2Lo some on the road, like when I'm at a stop light on a hill when I'm moving one of my trailers, which is too heavy for the Jeeps towing capacity. It sounded like I could start in 3rd gear, 2lo probably and go through my gears and then switch to 2hi in first and move just fine. I thought you could go to hi at slightly faster speeds.

What kind of limits of speed are there for the Atlas? Like can I go 50 mph in 4Hi? Or should I back it down more? I just know in snowy conditions, I've found some slick roads where I can go pretty quickly just fine with the NP231. Mine shifts very well for 2wd and 4wd.

What kind of limits of speed are there for the Atlas? Like can I go 50 mph in 4Hi? Or should I back it down more? I just know in snowy conditions, I've found some slick roads where I can go pretty quickly just fine with the NP231. Mine shifts very well for 2wd and 4wd.

You can go 80mph in 4LO if your engine and trans can handle it.

Edit: I would consider their super polished gears if this is indeed your plan.

You can go 80mph in 4LO if your engine and trans can handle it.
Oh that's awesome. I didn't know if design didn't allow for high speed travel or not. I doubt I'll be using 4lo for those kind of speeds, but it's good to know. I think I'd max out at around 30 mph in 4lo and 150 4hi.

I've never played with my top speed. I've done 90 with no issues, but I rarely go more than 65.