Current Atlas Wait Thread

I just finished installing my 2 speed. I thought the shift lever install would be the toughest part but was actually the easiest. Definitely start with the rear in High. I used red loc-tite on everything and cut the supplied shrink tube 3/8" longer than anticipated.

Reactions: B00mb00m and WSS
@WSS , looking at the rear of your atlas, I noticed your low range switch position is installed in the housing in line with the front axle output shaft. Is this its' intended location? I assumed it was meant to be installed at the shift tower (if that's what it's called)

Then I would have no torque and might be able to do 150mph (like my speedo says). A tc is a torque multiplier not a torque divider, I think??
No. If your TC ratio is 5:1 that means the input shaft is rotating 5 times for every 1 time the output rotates.

So (assuming your transmission is 1:1), your engine would be turning 5x faster than the output of your transfer case.

Reactions: WSS
@WSS , looking at the rear of your atlas, I noticed your low range switch position is installed in the housing in line with the front axle output shaft. Is this its' intended location? I assumed it was meant to be installed at the shift tower (if that's what it's called)
You are correct, it is know up on the tower. And, I have signal lol

Reactions: sierradmax
No. If your TC ratio is 5:1 that means the input shaft is rotating 5 times for every 1 time the output rotates.

So (assuming your transmission is 1:1), your engine would be turning 5x faster than the output of your transfer case.
So nothing in the Atlas II is spinning 5 times the input speed? I wonder what in the heck he was referring to.

Reactions: B00mb00m
So nothing in the Atlas II is spinning 5 times the input speed? I wonder what in the heck he was referring to.

Not that I can think of, although I've never taken one apart. I know they're used in racing conditions in low range at much faster speeds than most of us will ever take them at.

@B00mb00m everyone's install will be a bit different. Physically installing will require some fabrication. I'm still trying to solve the 4wd indicator issue but mine's a Rubicon and the wiring/programming is completely different than a sport/SE/Sahara application.

Reactions: Wildman
@B00mb00m everyone's install will be a bit different. Physically installing will require some fabrication. I'm still trying to solve the 4wd indicator issue but mine's a Rubicon and the wiring/programming is completely different than a sport/SE/Sahara application.
What did you have to fabricate?

Shift linkages (Advanced supply's the parts to do so)
Tub massage just a bit
sheet metal to cover transfer case shift opening
My original trans mount wouldn't work with the Atlas so I opted to build a cross-member at the time of install, which also led to exhaust modifications.

Reactions: Sj's TJ and Wildman
Also, I think the 97-01's (maybe 02's) have a single CAT that's monitored before and after.

And then there was a shiny new thing in my driveway...shipped 4 days earlier than projected

20210107_154258.jpg

Did you add an O2 sensor to your exhaust?

Is there a good Atlas 2-speed install thread?
No, The 02 senors are OE I believe. It is not a original Kali vehicle, I bought it in Gilbert Az.

I followed along with these guy as they show lots of pics LOL:

http://www.higherground4x4.com/Tech Atlas 1.htm
I did install a 1" body lift before the ordeal and did a motor mount lift too. I pounded the tub upward enough to get the TC more than level, as in a little high on the drivers side. Was not too bad used a 3 and 4 lb hammer. BTW, I made a drawing of the tower cut out for sealing after the tub cut, I can send that around if anyone needs it.

IMG_2270_zpsmh86erjb.jpg

IMG_2272_zpset9o1hjm.jpg

IMG_2275_zps13gnpiuu.jpg

All I can say is IT IS GOOD TO HAVE FRIENDS IN SOUTHERN PLACES...
@mrblaine can you show them what you found me!?!

• Wow
Reactions: Apparition
Atlas order cancelled. Pretty excited to see the crate invention the Wizard conjures up...

• Wow
Reactions: Apparition