Currie Short Arm vs. Savvy Mid-Arm

There was a guy on Jeep-Owner that put the mid arm on his (presumably Super) Dana 35. There is a link to his build somewhere in my build thread.
Thank you I'll look for it. From what I've gathered it's better to build a Dana 44 than a Dana 35 and I don't mind spending some cash. I'd even consider a built 8.8 but I'll look into the super 35

While you decide what you want you should wheel that axle and you can even put a Super 35 kit into it.
I subscribe to the mindset that if I'm going to spend the money I might as well spend a little extra and be done in the first go lol, if 35's are the plan I may see if I can make the current axle work, but I'd rather just put some beef under there up front and save the effort. A friend of mine gave the same advice though, to just send it with the Dana 35 and when it breaks just replace it. It's some real food for thought and would be cheaper up front, thanks for the advice though. I'm probably way newer at this than anybody here.

I'd probably upgrade to some Timken unit bearings and some good ball joints like Synergy or something of similar quality. The axle itself shouldn't be a problem but it is a valid concern about everything else. From what I've heard about this company their customer service is great and the fact that I can get a built out Currie housing dropped in my garage ready to bolt in is a huge plus for me, especially since they put their upgraded chromoly shafts in it. Seems like the best complete deal to me when it comes to bolt on axles.

I subscribe to the mindset that if I'm going to spend the money I might as well spend a little extra and be done in the first go lol, if 35's are the plan I may see if I can make the current axle work, but I'd rather just put some beef under there up front and save the effort. A friend of mine gave the same advice though, to just send it with the Dana 35 and when it breaks just replace it. It's some real food for thought and would be cheaper up front, thanks for the advice though. I'm probably way newer at this than anybody here.

I'd probably upgrade to some Timken unit bearings and some good ball joints like Synergy or something of similar quality. The axle itself shouldn't be a problem but it is a valid concern about everything else. From what I've heard about this company their customer service is great and the fact that I can get a built out Currie housing dropped in my garage ready to bolt in is a huge plus for me, especially since they put their upgraded chromoly shafts in it. Seems like the best complete deal to me when it comes to bolt on axles.
Contrary to the false rumor some cluelessly repeat, there's not a thing wrong with upgrading a Dana 35 with a Super 35 kit with 30 spline 1541H axle shafts. That combination is well known to work well, it was tested in Johnson Valley CA on some of the toughest trails in the US.

For ball joints to fit the Dana 30 (or TJ Rubicon front Dana 44) the LAST brand you want to install are Synergy which just cause problems. Not only do the Synergys not last, they are knurled which wrecks the C's for any future replacements. Go with the upgraded Spicer 706944X which is a direct fit/replacement for the OE Spicer ball joints the factory installed.

Last edited:
I have been contemplating this same decision. Here’s my choice...

I’m going to stay at a 35” tire and run Currie Short Arms With my stock Dana 30/Dana 44 And 4.56 gears. I choose 4.56 because the PO swapped them in.

Reasons... Several On here run this combo with a few wheeling out in Johnson Valley , the hardest trails in the US.

They don’t experience much breakage and they have a lot of success.

35” is a very streetable tire and is big enough for anything I plan, for sure.

I’ve been down the 37”+ tire route. It’s not all it’s cracked up to be. Once you start swapping axles, extending wheelbases, and chopping up your rig it just turns into a nightmare of compromise, money, and effort.

I am going to stay within the parameters of the original vehicle this time...wheelbase, bracketry, etc etc.

And I’m going to be much happier with a very driveable and wheelable rig.
CURRIE reccomends a 64 inch wide (wms) axle for 35’s and up to gain clearance and it will increase the turning radius. (More stress on components)

Contrary to the false rumor some cluelessly repeat, there's not a thing wrong with upgrading a Dana 35 with a Super 35 kit with 30 spline 1541H axle shafts. That combination is well known to work well, it was tested in Johnson Valley CA on some of the toughest trails in the US.

For ball joints to fit the Dana 30 (or TJ Rubicon front Dana 44) the LAST brand you want to install are Synergy which just cause problems. Not only do the Synergys not last, they are knurled which wrecks the C's for any future replacements. Go with the upgraded Spicer 706944X which is a direct fit/replacement for the OE Spicer ball joints the factory installed.
So Synergy is hyped up BS then? I'd heard they were pretty good but I guess that wasn't true 🤔

I'll do more research about the setup you mentioned, it would probably save money doing it that way. I'm sure trussing/sleeving could be beneficial also. I'm sure the aftermarket has provided something, seems like if you want anything for a Jeep somebody makes it somewhere.

CURRIE reccomends a 64 inch wide (wms) axle for 35’s and up to gain clearance and it will increase the turning radius. (More stress on components)
How is that measured? Who came up with that?
If Johnson Valley is the hardest trail in the US, whats the second hardest trail in the US? seems likethe one who knows what the hardest trail in the US would also know the second hardest, or am I off here?

Its often repeated and claimed that a super 35 is stronger than a Dana 44. Go for it!

Are you looking for an argument? Or just feeling like trolling on a Saturday Morning?

Reactions: FireJeep
Are you looking for an argument? Or just feeling like trolling on a Saturday Morning?
Im not trolling. Currie does recommend a 64 inch wms when going to a Dana 44 and 35’s or bigger.

Is it wrong of me, is it me trolling asking if How someone came up with the fact/idea that Johnson Valley is the hardest trail in the US? Can I not ask how that is measured?

What makes me wrong for asking about it? What makes the author of that post more right than if I authored a post contradicting his claim?

Would you like to search? There are plenty of post claming the Super 35 is stronger than a Dana 44.

I’m not trolling. I am sorry you feel that way. Arguments dont have to be negative, often arguments can be productive. I was not negative nor did I personally attack anyone, did I?

Edit: spelling/grammer

Last edited:
Reactions: RiverDawg24
So Synergy is hyped up BS then? I'd heard they were pretty good but I guess that wasn't true 🤔
I look at it this way, Dana/Spicer engineers, researches, designs, and manufactures the Dana/Spicer Dana 30, 44, 50, 60, etc, right?
Typically Dana also makes the balljoints that work best with their axles. Not that it’s always true for all parts of the axle, but the u-joints, ball joints, and gears are usually the best fit when built by Dana.

Again as I posted earlier, Currie reccomends 64 inches with their Dana 44
with 35’s.

A factory SRW hubbed Dana 60 from Dana/Spicer typically is full width which equated to 69.5 inches +

Currie also states that their own steering and track bars need 2" of bump stop. And they also sell a stock width Dana 60 with stock TJ outers.

Reactions: RiverDawg24
I look at it this way, Dana/Spicer engineers, researches, designs, and manufactures the Dana/Spicer Dana 30, 44, 50, 60, etc, right?
Typically Dana also makes the balljoints that work best with their axles. Not that it’s always true for all parts of the axle, but the u-joints, ball joints, and gears are usually the best fit when built by Dana.
That's a fair point. At times aftermarket companies can improve on designs, but sticking with stock axles it would make sense to use the manufacturer's parts.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
they also sell a stock width Dana 60 with stock TJ outers.
Could be the same reason some rock sliders (Savvy) eventually went on to offer a “step,” on their slider. Customers “wanted,” it.

Or the same reason as to why the Johnny Joint evtually started coming with a grease fitting. Customer also “wanted,” it.

I think we would both agree thats why Currie offers a Dana 60 with TJ/LJ Dana 30 outers. Are they Dana 30 outer parts?

Could be the same reason some rock sliders (Savvy) eventually went on to offer a “step,” on their slider. Customers “wanted,” it.

Or the same reason as to why the Johnny Joint evtually started coming with a grease fitting. Customer also “wanted,” it.

Maybe. In the early run, Savvy had a real more useable step/ledge on their sliders. What we see today isn't really a step. The newish modular Under Armor is a better example. The Ultimate steering as well.

Currie's bump stop requirements are a CYA number and not really accurate once you start fitting and adjusting. And despite what Currie says about 35s and axle width, we know very well how to fit 35s on stock width axles.

Reactions: Fouledplugs